How does this affect the Duckets Lane Warehouse

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2013
      http://elkridge.patch.com/articles/how-much-sound-will-the-barrier-extension-keep-out

      News

      How Much Sound Will the Barrier Extension Keep Out?

      Just how much noise can 2,000 feet keep at bay?

      By Brandie Jefferson
      Email the author
      5:00 pm

      1 Comment

      The aim of an extension of a noise barrier in Elkridge is to reduce noise levels by at least half for about 18 homes, according to the State Highway Administration.

      Although a 7-decibel noise reduction is the minimum, the project aims for a 10-decibel reduction "where it is practical," according to Heather Keels, Community Liaison for the SHA.

      A 5 to 7-decibel reduction is "readily noticeable," she said, while a 10-decibel reduction is "essentially perceived as being `cut in half.'"

      The overall aim of the 2,000-foot extension, (along Interstate 95, one mile north of MD 100 to Montgomery Road) is to reduce noise levels in the area to less than 66 decibels, Keels said.

      That's a reduction of 7 to 9 decibels for homes farther from Interstate 95, and a reduction of up to 15 decibels for the homes closest to the interstate.

      If the weather permits, the extension should be complete by September.
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2013
        http://elkridge.patch.com/articles/elkridge-sound-barrier-gets-extension#comment_7006621

        SHA Extending Sound Barrier in Elkridge

        Crews are also doing some landscaping and other maintenance along the interstate.

        By Brandie Jefferson
        Email the author
        April 9, 2013

        11 Comments

        Wonder what the State Highway Administration is up to on Interstate 95 in Elkridge?

        Crews are not building a new ramp at Montgomery Road, as several readers have hypothesized. They are, however, extending the Timberview-area sound barrier about 2,000 feet along I-95, one mile north of MD 100 to Montgomery Road.

        Construction will take place from 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. on weekdays and some weekends, according to SHA. The southbound shoulder of I-95 will be closed during construction and a concrete barrier will close workers off from traffic.

        The work is not expected to affect traffic, according to SHA.

        If the weather permits, the extension should be complete by September. It will result in a noise reduction of at least seven decibels for 18 homes along I-95, according to SHA.

        Crews will also replace guardrails and do some landscaping as part of the $1.8 million project, which was awarded to Hunt Valley-based Brawner Builders, Inc.

        Twenty percent of the project is funded by Howard County, with SHA funding the remainder.

        This project is part of the SHA Type II Sound Barrier program, which provides sound barrier construction in neighborhoods where most of the homes pre-date highway construction or the approval of a highway.

        For questions about this project, call SHA's District Office Seven: (301)624-8100.

        Related:

        - SHA: No Construction Money for Elkridge Sound Barrier
        Related Topics: Interstate 95, Sound Barrier, State Highway Administration, and Timberview

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2013
          The answer seems to be there is a substantial noise problem in this area with no relief in sight. I would like to see the hcpss rationale for finding this acceptable for these children and with the amount of traffic I would be interested in the level of polution generated in this area?

          jack