Joint Task Force on School Safety Final Report

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18 10:23 PM
      http://www.hcpss.org/aboutus/taskforce_report.pdf

      I am not impressed but will not waste my time picking every aspect apart. This is something which is more of a PR event and produced very little which we did not for a long time already know. It lacks the inclusion of the public and fails where most important which is bringing the parents and community into the schools and fostering a sense of ownership. This is a discussion which should have been done on line as well and should be continuous. The most glaring failure is there is no long term defense, being the education of our children as upstanding citizens.

      Giving control to Rec and Parks for turf firlds and now we see the following in this report tells us we need to review this arrangement and the party responsible for this obvious blunder, the hcpss, lacks the ability to manage itself.

      "There is significant concern that the many users of the facilities are not familiar with the school system's emergency plans and, aside from the before and after school care programs, have not developed their own."

      The following recommendation may be disturbing but given the way this was handled may be the most relevant.

      Recommendation 6
      Ensure post-incident resources are available for survivors, victims' family
      members, police and emergency staff. (The investigation into an incident will take time. Ensuring the safety of survivors, processing crime scenes, identifying bodies, notifying families and other activities associated with a criminal investigation are part of the process. Though necessary, these activities can be time consuming and frustrating for family members, community leaders and elected officials.)

      This ends with a list of well intentioned citizens mostly from within the system. This is the same as the application of tunnel vision. Quite simply to test this report one should visit any correctional facility and ask the inmates to exploit the vulnerabilities. You are seeking to create a defense system and your model is to cower. Again and sadly it is recommendation 6 which you should consider and than return to the drawing board.

      jack
    • debra21794
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19 5:20 AM
        Jack,
        I don't have time to read this on my Blackberry. Does it say anything about how people with disabilities will be informed of crises? What kind of "buddy system" will be used to safely evacuate people using wheelchairs? And, of course, my interest is in Deaf students and faculty--will they receive text messages about what is going on? How will they be informed?
        Thanks,
        Debra

        From: "pamythompson" <pamythompson@...>
        Sender: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 05:23:41 -0000
        To: <howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [howardpubliced] Joint Task Force on School Safety Final Report

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 19 11:04 PM
          This is a very good point and demonstrates why there should have been more effort involving the public as well as an ongoing public discussion on line. I think there is absolutely nothing regarding students, staff or visitors with disabilities and this includes the information on the hcpss website on the two public forums.

          Going through this material there was some very good input but it is also very clear there was an outline which lead directly to this outcome. There is clearly a model used for this based on mental illness which fails to address acts such as terrorism. It is very clear from the forum input the hcpss has for many years failed to address issues and that is our greatest threat because they do not acknowledge their deficiencies nor are they to be held accountable. There is 2 million dollars offered by Ullman as though we have a solution but his shallowness and political ambition seems to have prevented him from obvious free interventions and volunteers which are worth far more and will have greater immediate impact.

          Interestingly the Baltimore Sun seems to be attempting to help Howard county spin this as they have rewriten their article several times.

          jack