Re: [howardpubliced] Re: GHS Booster's Gala .....Thoughts on this one please

  • Dawn Popp
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
      Wow, seriously?  Now you are incensed because a parents' organization that operates independently from the school system is holding a fundraiser where people over the age of 21 will (gasp, the horror!) consume alcohol and participate in a raffle or auction?  (Grab your torches and pitchforks, Renee Foose's head will roll because of this travesty!)

      If you have actual suggestions about improving the equity between schools whose PTAs have greater and lesser fundraising abilities, then let's hear them.  Otherwise, maybe give the complaining and moral outrage a break for a day.

      Dawn Popp (who has even participated in PRESCHOOL fundraisers where alcohol was served -- call Protective Services!)

      On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:54 PM, pamythompson <pamythompson@...> wrote:

      My view...I do not think very well of gambling or alcohol being used to generate proceeds for our schools. I do not believe simply moving it off hcpss property makes it acceptable. Many in this group fund the Warhawks program in similar fasion which supports the HCRP which brought us turf fields and the loss of control of them. There is also the issue of equity in our schools which this completely undermines.

      A lot of you obviously have a different opinion which I would like to hear.

      Bob, One day we are going to have to sit down and discuss your sterility in vision.

      jack

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "bobrosebrough21045" <bobrosebrough21045@...> wrote:

      > Perfect opportunity for you to VOLUNTEER to help the high school that is/was involved in educating your EIGHT kids.
      >
      > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM11:55 AMMessage starred FROM Butch Schaffer TO You + 156 More Fwd(2): Email for Coaches/Club Leaders 1 Show Details FromButch Schaffer
      > > 1 Attachment2.7KBScanning 0 attachments...Save to Computerý.htmlýAttach0.html
      > > Dear Parents,
      > >

      > > The GHS Booster's Gala Committee is very excited about our upcoming
      > > Wine and Beer Tasting event on Saturday March 23rd., 7:00-11:00 p.m.
      > > Glenwood Community Center. (This is our largest fundraiser with profits benefiting academic and athletic programs at GHS equally)
      > >

      > > • Glenwood Wine and Spirits will provide over 100 wines and 30 beer tastings.
      > > • Great Food to pair with your tastings, including a cheese tasting from locally owned Bowling Green Farms.
      > > • Exciting Raffle and Auction Items (Vacation homes, Ravens tickets, NCAA Sweet 16 and Elite 8 tickets, RGIII and Joe Flacco autographs and much more!)
      > > • Dress Code is "Dressed up Jeans" or "Fun Casual"
      > >

      > > All we need is YOU! Ticket and donation information is available on the Booster's website http://glenelgboosters.com/
      > > Ticket Deadline: Friday March 15th

    • Ray Lischner
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
        On 03/16/2013 08:00 AM, Dawn Popp wrote:
        > If you have actual suggestions about improving the equity between
        > schools whose PTAs have greater and lesser fundraising abilities, then
        > let's hear them.

        Whenever people talk about "equity" in HCPSS, they usually are talking
        about financial equity, or equity of input. Let's talk instead about
        equity in outcome.

        HCPSS should evaluate the education taking place in every school,
        considering each school according to its unique situation. Then decide
        which schools need the most help to deliver to ensure that students from
        those schools can achieve on the same levels as students from other
        schools. If that means providing more teachers so those schools can have
        smaller classes, so be it. If that means paying more money to the best
        teachers to encourage them to teach at the poor-performing schools, more
        power to them.

        Renee Foose took the first step by acknowledging that there is a real
        difference in quality among our schools. (Before her, I have never heard
        any HCPSS staff admit that a difference exists. They all repeated the
        mantra, "All out schools are excellent.")

        The next step is to change our priorities and focus so the best teachers
        and administrators work at the schools that need them the most.

        I would be happy to see my tax dollars applied unequally (breaking
        equity of input) in order to achieve greater equity of outcome.
        --
        Ray Lischner
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
          Having raised 8 children and a few extras I treated them all the same but that did not mean I gave each one the same to accomplish it so Mr. Lischner has a valid point which takes constant effort.

          As to the alcohol and gambling for fund raisers, it is not something I find in the best interest of our children although many will disagree. I base this on my life experiences and many of you will again disagree. Obviously we have a balance many find acceptable by moving it off school property however we also find the system involved in what happens afterschool in other aspects. There is a discussion to be had here.

          jack

          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Ray Lischner <rl.edu@...> wrote:

          > On 03/16/2013 08:00 AM, Dawn Popp wrote:
          > > If you have actual suggestions about improving the equity between
          > > schools whose PTAs have greater and lesser fundraising abilities, then
          > > let's hear them.
          >
          > Whenever people talk about "equity" in HCPSS, they usually are talking
          > about financial equity, or equity of input. Let's talk instead about
          > equity in outcome.
          >
          > HCPSS should evaluate the education taking place in every school,
          > considering each school according to its unique situation. Then decide
          > which schools need the most help to deliver to ensure that students from
          > those schools can achieve on the same levels as students from other
          > schools. If that means providing more teachers so those schools can have
          > smaller classes, so be it. If that means paying more money to the best
          > teachers to encourage them to teach at the poor-performing schools, more
          > power to them.
          >
          > Renee Foose took the first step by acknowledging that there is a real
          > difference in quality among our schools. (Before her, I have never heard
          > any HCPSS staff admit that a difference exists. They all repeated the
          > mantra, "All out schools are excellent.")
          >
          > The next step is to change our priorities and focus so the best teachers
          > and administrators work at the schools that need them the most.
          >
          > I would be happy to see my tax dollars applied unequally (breaking
          > equity of input) in order to achieve greater equity of outcome.
          > --
          > Ray Lischner

        • Smokey
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
            Agreed!

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Mar 16, 2013, at 10:05 AM, Ray Lischner <rl.edu@...> wrote:

            > On 03/16/2013 08:00 AM, Dawn Popp wrote:
            >> If you have actual suggestions about improving the equity between
            >> schools whose PTAs have greater and lesser fundraising abilities, then
            >> let's hear them.
            >
            > Whenever people talk about "equity" in HCPSS, they usually are talking
            > about financial equity, or equity of input. Let's talk instead about
            > equity in outcome.
            >
            > HCPSS should evaluate the education taking place in every school,
            > considering each school according to its unique situation. Then decide
            > which schools need the most help to deliver to ensure that students from
            > those schools can achieve on the same levels as students from other
            > schools. If that means providing more teachers so those schools can have
            > smaller classes, so be it. If that means paying more money to the best
            > teachers to encourage them to teach at the poor-performing schools, more
            > power to them.
            >
            > Renee Foose took the first step by acknowledging that there is a real
            > difference in quality among our schools. (Before her, I have never heard
            > any HCPSS staff admit that a difference exists. They all repeated the
            > mantra, "All out schools are excellent.")
            >
            > The next step is to change our priorities and focus so the best teachers
            > and administrators work at the schools that need them the most.
            >
            > I would be happy to see my tax dollars applied unequally (breaking
            > equity of input) in order to achieve greater equity of outcome.
            > --
            > Ray Lischner
            >

            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List. All original messages posted here are placed in the public domain unless the poster states otherwise. Re-published messages (i.e. newspaper articles) retain their original copyright status.Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ann De Lacy
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
              Linda's Wise's response to the Booster Gala/fundraiser:

              Sent from my iPad

              Begin forwarded message:

              From: "Linda T. Wise" <LINDA_WISE@...>
              Date: March 16, 2013 9:49:00 AM EDT
              To: anndelacy@...
              Subject: Re: Fwd: [howardpubliced] GHS Booster's Gala .....Thoughts on this one please

              Ann,
              The Boosters are incorporated and sponsor these adult functions, which are not held on school grounds, and do not fall under the jurisdiction of the Board of Education.  Because of this, as far as we know, most Boosters serve alcohol at their bull and oyster roasts.  Hope this helps to clarify.
              Linda

              Ann De Lacy <anndelacy@...> writes:
              Did you see this?

              Sent from my iPad

              Begin forwarded message:

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
                I believe the word here is condone. The boosters operate out of our schools and advertise in them. The seperation between the two is imaginary at best. Further for each school to have an independent corporation funding them is not compatible with a county wide system or in the best interest of equality. Why some schools take in almost a million dollars and others only about 400K is a reflection of the segregation and division of our citzens which manifests itself in what many refer to as the achievement gap. To recognize and address diversity is one thing whereas to foster segregation through financial means only serves to maintain and widen the gap.

                jack

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
                  what do you suggest?

                  To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
                  From: pamythompson@...
                  Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 04:54:33 +0000
                  Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: GHS Booster's Gala .....Thoughts on this one please

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 16, 2013
                    The activities of the boosters is one which the public should discuss and come to terms with what they are willing to accept for now. There are many in the county which simply can not compete and although they are concentrated or segregated in some neighborhoods there are also pockets throughout the county. I am aware there are many sides to this issue but what we are seeking is no less than what is approriate to teach our children through example.

                    The gap does not exist because one color child is superior to another but because we have engineered it. What you want to know is how to correct this and I will give this considerable thought in an attempt to be helpful.

                    jack

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 17, 2013
                      If there is social engineering related to geography, I think the most effective place to focus attention would be on the county government.

                      I have heard the complaints that attendance areas for schools are manipulated for economic or racial reasons.  I'm not going to get into that argument - but since I whole heartedly believe in "the neighborhood school", I am opposed to those manipulations - for better or worse.

                      I don't know the answer to leveling the boosters playing field.  Most of the things other systems have tried have failed.

                      I was looking at my Target statement earlier and noted that I am still signed up for the reward points to benefit my children's elementary school.  It occurred to me that a campaign to encourage folks to choose some of our less affluent schools as their reward point beneficiaries for these store programs might be one possible piece.

                      Other thoughts?

                      cv

                      To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
                      From: pamythompson@...