24 states including Washington try out national 'common core' standards exams

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2013
      Yep, I am confused. A test which will "help prepare all students to graduate high school college- and career-ready" even though the school system (hcpss) has already demonstrated it is incapable of producing "all" college ready students and has almost no hands on training, therefor can not possibly produce career ready students.

      Yep, I am confused but not completely stupid.

      I have another question, how can you budget for what does not or can not exist?

      jack

      "Smarter Balanced is a state-led consortium developing assessments aligned to the Common Core State Standards in English language arts/literacy and mathematics that are designed to help prepare all students to graduate high school college- and career-ready"

      24 states including Washington try out national 'common core' standards exams

      By The Associated Press
      on February 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM, updated February 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM
      Print

      OLYMPIA -- Washington is one of 24 states trying out the new exams tied to the national "common core" standards in math and English language arts.

      About 6,000 schools are voluntarily participating in the pilot project this year. The tests are scheduled to be given in all 24 states starting during the 2014-15 school year.

      The questions in the online exams are tied to the new national standards that are already being used in Washington and dozens of other states.

      The pilot will help the creators of the test, a group known as the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, to measure the effectiveness of their test, not judge student learning. The test creators are based in Olympia, Wash.

      -- The Associated Press
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26, 2013
        Jack--
        This "smarter balance" sentence does sound like they are saying their "test" helps prepare student to graduate college and career ready - which would, of course, be absurd.  "Tests" don't prepare anyone for anything...except more test taking.  A closer reading of the sentence explains that the "Common Core Standards" are designed to help prepare students yada yada yada...

        If we do, in fact and in practice, use the "common core" as a floor - a minimum - a "what a second grader should know"... then o.k.... as long as our professional educators agree that these standards are really a good starting point.  If they turn out to be a distraction from true teaching and learning - then we have an obligation to speak up, rebel, educate the legislators, whatever it takes to ensure that our children get what they need.

        The administration is going to need support, encouragement, even "pushing", from the community to take those stands on behalf of our students.   It won't happen in a vacuum.

        cindy v

        To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 2013
          The "Administration" sounds like the devil amongst us. So if we use these new teach to the test standards as a floor instead of the ceiling we tout the current teach to the test standards we have than...............I don't foresee this leap and believe the administration will spend the next few years "understanding" what this means which was touched upon in the budget discussions. No, at least a few more years education will not move forward is almost gauranteed.

          jack