Re: [howardpubliced] Re: Math/ Algebra instruction after Common Core

  • Lisa Schlossnagle
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2013
      Isn't this all in the process of changing? I keep hearing that the current math curriculum is a spiral (a mile wide, inch deep spiral) and that Common Core is about "teaching for mastery" and "digging deep". HCPSS started the Common Core math transition already, and K-2 are now all switched over.

      It looks like next year Algebra 1 will be all Common Core.

      Let me just rant about that "teaching for mastery" phrase. I mean, hasn't it always been the goal to teach for mastery? If kids don't master it, have they learned it? I get what happened - the curriculum design didn't allow time for teaching for mastery. You had to move on, whether the kids got it or not. I hope Common Core doesn't leave people behind as much, but I also hope it doesn't hold people back. Once a student masters a standard, they should learn the next standard.

      On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Theresa Jones <theresajones10@...> wrote:

      I agree Algebra doesn't line up with the textbook.  But I'm not sure that's bad. The textbook is used primarily for homework problems in our school.  But, the teacher keeps a list of resources and Khan videos for the kids to refer to.  I don't see a lot of real world problems.  I think it errs more toward the spiraling approach, introducing procedures for solving problems for which they are not ready (matrices would be just one example).  But overall, I don't have concerns about any of this as much as I have concerns about the slow pace and limited content of the class.  Why not forget the spiral and just teach basic algebra, the WHOLE thing.  Not bits and pieces of skills, but a logical progression of thought and complete concepts.  What I see is primarily repetition of procedure.  If you can learn the procedure--graphing, punching numbers in and pressing the right buttons (without actually knowing what the data crunching means)--then you ace the tests.   Meanwhile, at home I answer questions about the relationship of "line of best fit" to "correlation coefficient" and how is that related to the measures of central tendency?  Why didn't the lesson start with those questions before teaching the kids to punch the calculator?

      I don't think the problems are limited to algebra.  I see problems across the curriculum. HCPSS is teaching procedure ---how to find and define primary sources rather than how to ask the right questions and where to go to find answers to get a complete understanding of the subject.  Using the books in English class for the purpose of writing an essay rather than using an essay to further understanding of the book (which they didn't even get to finish reading)My kids are learning representative bits and pieces, and I'm left to fill in at home.

      Theresa