HCPSS schools are opening on time today, February 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2013
      With the heavy rains we had a fair amount of flooding which left water flowing on the roads in places on Jan 31. With the quick drop in temperature we had what one may consider to be flash freezing which resulted in numerous accidents in my area of Mount Airy the night of Jan 31. The early morning snow of Feb 1 left our roads covered with snow during the morning bus ride. This snow also covered the ice which had formed overnight. It was extremely dangerous in our area of Howard county.

      My issue is not with who anounces the closing but with who makes the decision in our part of Howard county. Since we have said something for years to no avail I believe the best way to proceed is to provide the person in charge of endangering the lives of our children with a new perspective. The best way to do this would be the next time we have a situation like this which is at least once a year we tie this person to the front bumper of a bus for a ride down these country roads from Mount Airy to Glenelg some 10 or 15 miles away.

      jack

      For the rest of Howard county,

      Weather-related Closings/Delays
      HCPSS schools are opening on time today, February 1. Fox 45 was broadcasting incorrect information. Fox 45 is NOT one of our designated sources to receive school closing information. Please look here for closings/delays or look to our designated sources. This information is also listed in the Parent/Student Handbook sent home at the beginning of each school year.

      View school closing information and sources.

      http://www.hcpss.org/news/weather.shtml