Re: [howardpubliced] Re: Interesting Statistics

  • Ann
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
      I agree with you, Kerry.  The only time I am deterred from reading a post is when it is too long or engages in ugly name calling.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 22, 2013, at 4:11 PM, Kerry Ose <kerry@...> wrote:

      For my part, full-time work and full-time parenthood (plus, as Sue says, the holidays) have pulled me away from this list, at least for the moment.  I value HPE greatly, and I value the voices, especially (but not exclusively) those of people who choose to identify themselves.

      Kerry

      On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM, merlinthewizard848 <merlinthewizard848@...> wrote:

      I think in part it does have to do with the issue. BUT I have switched to digest form for this site for just that reason. It is post after post from the same person on similar topics. Foose needs to be removed/pay back stolen money. AND Howard County Park and rec. There is no attempt at discussion...or at least there never appears to be any attempt at listening to anything anyone else has to say.

      I have gotten to the point where I am deleting most messages from this group if I see the usual cluster of Jack. I don't have the time to wade through and it is almost always same day different stuff.

      Not sure there is a solution to this..except that more and more people are drifting/running from this site.

      It is a shame as this could be a power for change.

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Sue Medicus wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Earlier discussions have show a wide diversity
      >
      > Sue medicus
      >
      > On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Dawn Popp wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > I didn't do the data analysis, but I've definitely noticed the same
      > > phenomenon myself, which is why I don't post much. I, too, am saddened
      > > that this list is not the resource it could be. When I and others have
      > > brought this up before, Allen often responds by talking about the First
      > > Amendment, but I honestly don't think that's particularly relevant here,
      > > since it's a "private" list. Certainly, as owner of the listserv, Allen
      > > can have whatever rules he wants, but I personally think a bit of
      > > moderation would go a long way to making this a more valuable and
      > > producting discussion group.
      > >
      > > Dawn Popp
      > >
      > > On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM, gwh731 wrote:
      > >
      > >> **

      > >> I am relatively new to this site having posted my first message just this
      > >> month. It did not take me long to realize that the site is being dominated
      > >> (and that is being kind) by one person (jack aka pamythompson).
      > >>
      > >> Here are some stats:
      > >>
      > >> Since the new year, jack has posted 57 messages (January 2-January 20,
      > >> 2013)
      > >> In that same period, the site logged a total of 124 messages.
      > >> This means that jack posted 45.97% of the traffic on this site.
      > >>
      > >> I read other sites and realize that there are a few members who can
      > >> dominate the discussion. However, I can't name another of the many sites I
      > >> visit, both local and national, where one person dominates so much of the
      > >> conversation. In fact, when one approaches 50% postings, the term
      > >> "conversation" completely loses its meaning.
      > >>
      > >> I am not commenting on the content of jack's postings, though I am
      > >> certain some could. My issue is simply the volume. When so many postings
      > >> are placed by just one person, this ceases to be a forum for discussion
      > >> with many voices and becomes the "playground" for one. I believe in freedom
      > >> of speech. However, places like this should have some structures to promote
      > >> good discussion, back-and-forth, among a number of folks.
      > >>
      > >> I am saddened by this fact because I thought I had finally found a
      > >> legitimate place for conversation and discussion about all things HCPSS. In
      > >> addition to jack's postings, the next other top posters are current members
      > >> of the BOE. I applaud their participation and forthrightness when posting.
      > >> I had just hoped their would be more diversity on a place that is supposed
      > >> to be an open forum controlled by no one person. The data show that this is
      > >> just not the case.
      > >>
      > >> I am a data nerd, so I plan to look back a few years to see if this
      > >> problem has been on-going, or determine when it changed. I would postulate
      > >> that many people have come and gone from this forum because of the data I
      > >> present.
      > >>
      > >> How do others who read and/or post feel about these facts?

    • Ray Lischner
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
        On 01/21/2013 03:53 PM, gwh731 wrote:
        > How do others who read and/or post feel about these facts?

        I set up my reader to ignore Jack's posts. So I see only the other
        54.03% of the postings.
        --
        Ray Lischner
      • merlinthewizard848
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
          How do you do that?

          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Ray Lischner wrote:

          > On 01/21/2013 03:53 PM, gwh731 wrote:
          > > How do others who read and/or post feel about these facts?
          >
          > I set up my reader to ignore Jack's posts. So I see only the other
          > 54.03% of the postings.
          > --
          > Ray Lischner

        • gwh731
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
            Please do give us the directions to do that, Ray. And thank you.

            --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Ray Lischner wrote:

            > On 01/21/2013 03:53 PM, gwh731 wrote:
            > > How do others who read and/or post feel about these facts?
            >
            > I set up my reader to ignore Jack's posts. So I see only the other
            > 54.03% of the postings.
            > --
            > Ray Lischner

          • Ray Lischner
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
              On 01/26/2013 05:00 PM, merlinthewizard848 wrote:
              > How do you do that?

              It depends on your reader. I use Thunderbird. I can create a filter
              based on many different criteria, such as From, Subject, etc. I can
              choose an action for messages that match, such as delete, ignore the
              entire thread, mark the message as already seen, etc.

              Most email readers have similar functionality.
              --
              Ray Lischner
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                The idea of abandoning Howardpubliced as the best option for the community was an option I gave much consideration to. In the past few days I have watched very little participation in this group while it was dominated with a discussion on my demise or fate or whatever it is you do with a parent who refuses to shut up and close their eyes. I can care less about the anonymous I often refer to as ball-less cowards because they will always benefit from ignorance. My decision on my fate comes from Mr. Lischner who has found the personal delete solution to be adequate for him and has divided Howardpubliced into one of silence and one which appears on every subject in education when the public searches for information of which the latter is one I have long been well aware of. Sadly for Mr. Lischner who just came here in search of a subject I spoke of from personal experience about 4 years ago, Tech-ed. he was oblivious to the issue. Perhaps if he was not so narrow minded or had chosen not to allow blind faith to dictate his childs future he would have fought the system befor his child was subjected to this regretable portion of our education system. Although I have read all his posts and tried to understand his issues I find now it was pointless because he allowed them to exist. It is hard for me to understand people who will not fight for themselves but that has always been the case. You folks had about 600 posts a month at the end of last year and than you all just let it go. For once you began to have a voice. There was not a lot of change in the system but it is at the breaking point which is a good thing for an institution without a foundation. It is best to rebuild than to have it colapse upon you and colapse is exactly where the American education system is heading. For all the talk of how Howardpubliced could be so much more, well it already is. Howardpubliced is beyond the control of the system and is what you all make of it. You can not silence it no more than you could force its creator to kneel when you publicly flogged him.

                There is a reason our school playgrounds are empty. you grew up and forgot what it is to be a child.

                jack

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                    Parents_Coalition of Montgomery County, Frederick Education Reform or Frederickpubliced, NYCHOLD or American Math Forum in New York, Illinois Loop and many more. The issues are very similar and there is a lot which you can use here at Howardpubliced.

                    What you really need to understand is most people do not have the time to educate themselves on the issues. Parents are at the mercy of the system and so called experts. The disconnect between parent and school system is absolutely phenomenal. My approach really puts people off but make no mistake people no matter how they speak out are attacked by the system. To be quite honest the education system is out of control, there is really no one in charge, it is an entity unto itself. Our schools are nothing more than assembly lines, they are a business and your children are what fuels them, it drives our economy. Keep this in mind.

                    jack

                    --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Losito wrote:

                    > are there other lists or sites that are useful?

                  • Ann
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013
                      Jack, everyone is entitled to an opinion.  Ray AND you add a lot to our discussions.  Anyone who chooses to delete or block someone who posts may do so.  Personally, I enjoy reading and connecting.

                      I am impressed with Dr. Foose's vision and fortitude. Hopefully, from reading my posts, you know I disdain disingenuousness...especially in those who are elected or appointed to serve the common good.  Please stop bashing her and give her some time to do her job.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Jan 27, 2013, at 12:19 AM, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@...> wrote:

                      The idea of abandoning Howardpubliced as the best option for the community was an option I gave much consideration to. In the past few days I have watched very little participation in this group while it was dominated with a discussion on my demise or fate or whatever it is you do with a parent who refuses to shut up and close their eyes. I can care less about the anonymous I often refer to as ball-less cowards because they will always benefit from ignorance. My decision on my fate comes from Mr. Lischner who has found the personal delete solution to be adequate for him and has divided Howardpubliced into one of silence and one which appears on every subject in education when the public searches for information of which the latter is one I have long been well aware of. Sadly for Mr. Lischner who just came here in search of a subject I spoke of from personal experience about 4 years ago, Tech-ed. he was oblivious to the issue. Perhaps if he was not so narrow minded or had chosen not to allow blind faith to dictate his childs future he would have fought the system befor his child was subjected to this regretable portion of our education system. Although I have read all his posts and tried to understand his issues I find now it was pointless because he allowed them to exist. It is hard for me to understand people who will not fight for themselves but that has always been the case. You folks had about 600 posts a month at the end of last year and than you all just let it go. For once you began to have a voice. There was not a lot of change in the system but it is at the breaking point which is a good thing for an institution without a foundation. It is best to rebuild than to have it colapse upon you and colapse is exactly where the American education system is heading. For all the talk of how Howardpubliced could be so much more, well it already is. Howardpubliced is beyond the control of the system and is what you all make of it. You can not silence it no more than you could force its creator to kneel when you publicly flogged him.

                      There is a reason our school playgrounds are empty. you grew up and forgot what it is to be a child.

                      jack

                      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Ray Lischner wrote:

                      > On 01/26/2013 05:00 PM, merlinthewizard848 wrote:
                      > > How do you do that?
                      >
                      > It depends on your reader. I use Thunderbird. I can create a filter
                      > based on many different criteria, such as From, Subject, etc. I can
                      > choose an action for messages that match, such as delete, ignore the
                      > entire thread, mark the message as already seen, etc.
                      >
                      > Most email readers have similar functionality.
                      > --
                      > Ray Lischner

                    • bobr
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 28, 2013
                        Works fine with my gmail account but not yahoo. Yahoo account must use the POP protocol which is a premium feature (Yahoo plus)