RE: [howardpubliced] Re: Howardpubliced...What has it become?

  • Roger Lerner
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012

      Bob,

      Right on all counts!  All evaluation is subjective, and unpleasant;  it is a matter of degree.  One way to reduce subjectivity is to design a system/process which has sufficient alternative inputs e.g. immediate supervisor, peers, customers, and then a review process that provide diversification of views and oversight. Will it still be subjective?  Sure, and it may turn into a “gummed up”, largely meaningless mess like much of the Federal system.  But, if  people are serious about using it as a tool to reward success, foster improvement and identify those who are dramatically missing the mark, it might help.  The question  is: “Why go through the brain damage” and the answer  is “ Because it might allow you to reward those who do very well, and identify, retrain and, if necessary, cut those who do not.”

      Hope springs eternal.

      Roger Lerner

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
        Ray,

        Paul's explanation of the new Teacher Evaluation System to be implemented in all HCPSS schools over the next two years is spot on. The PARCC Assessments are currently under construction by a consortium of 22 states and DC. Maryland has now adopted the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). The PARCC Assessments (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers) will be aligned to the CCSS and are designed to measure annual growth for EACH INDIVIDUAL STUDENT. The PARCC assessments will be anchored in college and career readiness; provide comparability across states; and be able to assess and measure higher-order skills such as critical thinking, communications, and problem solving. The assessments will be computer-based.

        The new CCSS is scheduled to be fully implemented in all Maryland schools in the 2013-2014 school year. The HCPSS has a systematic plan for phasing in the new standards that can be found on the hcpss.org website...
        https://transitiontocommoncore.wikispaces.hcpss.org/

        The PARCC assessments are scheduled to be implemented in Maryland in the 2014-2015 school year and will replace the Maryland School Assessments (MSAs).

        "The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy."

        All but 5 states (Virginia, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Texas) have adopted these national standards.

        "PARCC's next-generation assessment system will provide students, educators, policymakers, and the public with the tools needed to identify whether students — from grade 3 through high school — are on track for postsecondary success and, critically, where gaps may exist and how they can be addressed well before students enter college or the workforce.

        PARCC states have committed to building a K-12 assessment system that:
        •Builds a pathway to college and career readiness for all students,
        •Creates high-quality assessments that measure the full range of the Common Core
        State Standards,
        •Supports educators in the classroom,
        •Makes better use of technology in assessments, and
        •Advances accountability at all levels."

        The PARCC states include: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Tennessee.

        I believe and have great faith that the CCSS and the PARCC assessments will give parents and teachers a better understanding of where each child is in relation to THE STANDARDS (and not simply compare them to other children), and where their child is in regard to standards that will insure their preparation for college and/or career. I also believe that the HCPSS is now well-positioned to make these massive changes.

        I would strongly encourage parents, through their own work and/or in partnership with PTAs, school staff, or perhaps new parent-lead groups, to first and foremost arm themselves with REAL information (as opposed to gossip and rumor) about:
        1) The new CCSS and the accompanying PARCC assessments
        2) What their child's school(s) is doing to prepare for these changes (teacher PD, administrator knowledge of the CCSS and PARCC and their plans to LEAD their teachers, staff, and community through this massive shift.
        3) How their child will be grouped in the core content areas (math, reading, science, and social studies) and how the school will work with them to monitor their child's progress.

        It is often easier to complain and make broad sweeping negative statements about our school system. However, the HCPSS is the premier school system in MD and perhaps the top 5 in the USA. Yes, they can always improve and, yes, they way not always meet the needs of every child, but parents should rejoice that whatever the negatives may be, the foundation of the school system is solid.

        Finally, I am hopeful that a new Superintendent will work to:
        • Strengthen an already strong teacher corps. HC has attracted the brightest and best,
        and works to support them as they grow)
        • Continue to build the capacity of its school leaders by establishing a world-class
        leadership development program and succession plan;
        • Replace those teachers and/or principals who cannot or will not do the job necessary to
        insure that each and every child gets a world-class education.

        There already exist great teachers from around the state and the country who would "kill" to get into HCPSS. There is no shortage of strong candidates to fill most any vacancy. The HCPSS also has plenty of teachers who aspire to be leaders. So many that it is almost criminal to promote and/or leave in place any school leader who through proper evaulation shows themselves incapable of being effective.

        Though many will not say so, I believe the new student assessments along with the new teacher/principal evaluations will quickly and clearly identify those teachers and/or principals who need to improve (with proper support) or look for work elsewhere.

        I look forward to reading what others have to say on these topics.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
          Robert

          I would be interested in knowing just who you are and how you stand to benefit from this.

          Actually the hcpss is already at 90%+ to common core so the changes will not make the difference we need.

          The evaluations are obviously needed or this conversation would not exist. Herein we have the problem of decades without accountability or oversight which has left us with a poor teaching staff in general and an administration more in line with a professional crime ring. Nowhere is the finished product discussed and evaluations are set to be made without the parent by the provider. We already have this and now you are attempting to sale the public on this kick the can further down the road scam.

          Glad you found it in your best interest to support the new head novice of the hcpss but since you and I both find Foose's inexperience to be staggering I really must question your motives.

          Robert RHC at 9:11 PM July 2, 2012
          "Jack, as Glinda the Good Witch said, "You have no power here. Be gone before somebody drops a house on you."

          Robert, I am almost convinced you are or were part of the problem and lack the skills to go out in the world and survive. I beleive you feel threatened by the real reform our children desperately need as it would leave people like you jobless.

          Jack

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 7, 2012
            Robert, For 2 years you have been pushing this issue. I can go just on Howardpubliced and post all of the sales pitches for common core. You can go to American Math Forum and watch it taken apart brick by brick. tWO YEARS ROBERT, this is on your mind for 2 years, you got to have something to say beyond regurgitating an idea with no substance.

            Jack

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 8, 2012
              Ms. Jones,

              May I ask a question. Are you a teacher?

              Jack

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 8, 2012
                Perhaps the question is unimportant but if we look back to

                http://www.hcpss.org/2011ar/race.html

                We find nothing has really changed and what is important is in these evaluations the parents were left completely out.

              • fsnyder22
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
                  Jack, I agree with you 100% that not including parental input into teachers' evaluations leaves out the most significant contributors to children's success in school. As a parent, I spent many hours "undoing" bad teaching, and concerns brought to the principal were dismissed. Allowing parents, as a group, to evaluate teachers would remove the concern that many parents have about their children being treated unfairly if the parent raises a concern about a teacher.

                  I would also suggest that students - at least at the high school level - be allowed to evaluate teachers. If 90% of students think a teacher is doing a poor job, then there likely is a problem.

                  Fred Snyder

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
                    Theresa,

                    I encourage you to visit pertainent websites to look for answers to your questions. These would include PARCC (http://www.parcconline.org/) as well as MSDE (http://www.mabe.org/wp-content/uploads/3-27-12%20Monitor.pdf) and hcpss.org.

                    It is Important to gather info from a variety of sources. Be careful of those who have already rung the death knell over issues that dip not even start until 2014 or against system leaders with whom they have little to absolutely no experience. I believe that anyone with al stake in the HCPSS (children, employee, taxpayer) would do well to look at the future of the system with a "glass half full" attitude as opposed to believing all is lost. The latter breeds hat and heartache, neither of which is healthy or, more importantly, in the best interest of the 50,000+ children in the school system.

                    Frankly, I refuse to engage with those who believe the latter because they offer no hope and seem only to be out for vengeance, neither of which is a healthy approach to debate and discussion.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 9, 2012
                      What is best for our children is for everyone to lay their cards on the table. What is best for parents is complete transparency and inclusion. Any time there is even a hint otherwise and a parent will pull back to protect their children. This has been true forever. Nowhere was blind trust part of parenting.

                      Yes, read all you can, ask questions, demand the truth and include yourself in every aspect of your child's life relentlessly.

                      There is a problem in our education system. The overall quality is poor. As a parent we can not allow the same people who mislead us and were derelict in their charge to do so once again at our children's expense and our exclusion. The first seat at the table of education belongs to the parent.