Re: Different Style of Teaching/Learning

  • eddiejohnston55
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
      We don't look down upon them. It's just not an appropriate topic for school. (Exotic dancers)

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@...> wrote:

      > Not bad coming from a person who wishes to remain nameless. The study of psychiatry is perhaps the first step in self analysis but then questioning ones own health is generally a sign of good health my friend.
      >
      > Now would you care to explain why you look down on those such as dancers and bondsman especially in relation to their children's education.
      >
      > Jack
      >

      > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "columbiamd" <columbiamdr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Jack :
      > >
      > > Paranoid personality disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis characterized by paranoia and a pervasive, long-standing suspiciousness and generalized mistrust of others.
      > >
      > > Those with the condition are hypersensitive, are easily slighted, and habitually relate to the world by vigilant scanning of the environment for clues or suggestions to validate their prejudicial ideas or biases. Paranoid individuals are eager observers. They think they are in danger and look for signs and threats of that danger, disregarding any facts.[1] They tend to be guarded and suspicious and have quite constricted emotional lives. Their incapacity for meaningful emotional involvement and the general pattern of isolated withdrawal often lend a quality of schizoid isolation to their life experience.[2] People with this particular disorder have a tendency to bear grudges, suspiciousness, tendency to interpret others actions as hostile, persistent tendency to self-reference, and a tenacious sense of personal right.[3]
      > >
      > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Utopia, what Howard county and the hcpss preach, yes I do believe most PTA's hold some form of ice cream social to help the unsuspecting swallow the illusion.
      > > >
      > > > Did you taste the hook?
      > > >
      > > > Jack

    • Sue Medicus
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
        I would think it would be insulting to say that any child's parent's career is inappropriate to discuss in school.

        There could be positive options with any career.  Considering the public and their opinions now, Congress would likely be less positively thought of than exotic dancers.

        By the way, I use group work at the college level in class to see that people do the work and learn from each toerh

        Just my 2 cents to start the new year

        Sue Medicus

        --
        Sue Medicus
      • Sue Medicus
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
          oops

          other not toerh

          On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Sue Medicus <berryfolks@...> wrote:
          I would think it would be insulting to say that any child's parent's career is inappropriate to discuss in school.

          There could be positive options with any career.  Considering the public and their opinions now, Congress would likely be less positively thought of than exotic dancers.

          By the way, I use group work at the college level in class to see that people do the work and learn from each toerh

          Just my 2 cents to start the new year

          Sue Medicus

          On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM, eddiejohnston55 <eddiejohnston55@...> wrote:

          We don't look down upon them. It's just not an appropriate topic for school. (Exotic dancers)

          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@...> wrote:

          > Not bad coming from a person who wishes to remain nameless. The study of psychiatry is perhaps the first step in self analysis but then questioning ones own health is generally a sign of good health my friend.
          >
          > Now would you care to explain why you look down on those such as dancers and bondsman especially in relation to their children's education.
          >
          > Jack
          >

          > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "columbiamd" <columbiamdr@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Jack :
          > >
          > > Paranoid personality disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis characterized by paranoia and a pervasive, long-standing suspiciousness and generalized mistrust of others.
          > >
          > > Those with the condition are hypersensitive, are easily slighted, and habitually relate to the world by vigilant scanning of the environment for clues or suggestions to validate their prejudicial ideas or biases. Paranoid individuals are eager observers. They think they are in danger and look for signs and threats of that danger, disregarding any facts.[1] They tend to be guarded and suspicious and have quite constricted emotional lives. Their incapacity for meaningful emotional involvement and the general pattern of isolated withdrawal often lend a quality of schizoid isolation to their life experience.[2] People with this particular disorder have a tendency to bear grudges, suspiciousness, tendency to interpret others actions as hostile, persistent tendency to self-reference, and a tenacious sense of personal right.[3]
          > >
          > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Utopia, what Howard county and the hcpss preach, yes I do believe most PTA's hold some form of ice cream social to help the unsuspecting swallow the illusion.
          > > >
          > > > Did you taste the hook?
          > > >
          > > > Jack

          --
          Sue Medicus

          --
          Sue Medicus
        • Colleen Dolphin
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
            I think some people are trying to make pole dancing an Olympic Sport- it is actually very hard to do.
            Colleen

            I would think it would be insulting to say that any child's parent's career is inappropriate to discuss in school.

            There could be positive options with any career.  Considering the public and their opinions now, Congress would likely be less positively thought of than exotic dancers.

            By the way, I use group work at the college level in class to see that people do the work and learn from each toerh

            Just my 2 cents to start the new year

            Sue Medicus

            On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM, eddiejohnston55 <eddiejohnston55@...> wrote:

            We don't look down upon them. It's just not an appropriate topic for school. (Exotic dancers)

            --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@...> wrote:

            > Not bad coming from a person who wishes to remain nameless. The study of psychiatry is perhaps the first step in self analysis but then questioning ones own health is generally a sign of good health my friend.
            >
            > Now would you care to explain why you look down on those such as dancers and bondsman especially in relation to their children's education.
            >
            > Jack
            >

            > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "columbiamd" <columbiamdr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Jack :
            > >
            > > Paranoid personality disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis characterized by paranoia and a pervasive, long-standing suspiciousness and generalized mistrust of others.
            > >
            > > Those with the condition are hypersensitive, are easily slighted, and habitually relate to the world by vigilant scanning of the environment for clues or suggestions to validate their prejudicial ideas or biases. Paranoid individuals are eager observers. They think they are in danger and look for signs and threats of that danger, disregarding any facts.[1] They tend to be guarded and suspicious and have quite constricted emotional lives. Their incapacity for meaningful emotional involvement and the general pattern of isolated withdrawal often lend a quality of schizoid isolation to their life experience.[2] People with this particular disorder have a tendency to bear grudges, suspiciousness, tendency to interpret others actions as hostile, persistent tendency to self-reference, and a tenacious sense of personal right.[3]
            > >
            > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Utopia, what Howard county and the hcpss preach, yes I do believe most PTA's hold some form of ice cream social to help the unsuspecting swallow the illusion.
            > > >
            > > > Did you taste the hook?
            > > >
            > > > Jack

            --
            Sue Medicus

          • columbiamd
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
              http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2186897.ece

              --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Colleen Dolphin <colleendolphin@...> wrote:

              > I think some people are trying to make pole dancing an Olympic Sport- it is actually very hard to do.
              > Colleen
              >

              > ________________________________

            • eddiejohnston55
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
                So if a child's parent was a prostitute or a pornographer, that would be appropriate for our schools?

                --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Sue Medicus <berryfolks@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > generation, from elder to child. It is how we have educated our young since
                > > before recorded time.

                > > have foolishly relinquished our rights and responsibilities almost
                > > completely.

                > > projects and question the quality of education they recieve from them.

                > > go much further with this idea and have no idea if it could be graded
                > > beyond participation. I would offer a real life class in which everyday a
                > > different person from the community would volunteer for the day. I would
                > > have a teacher there to monitor the class with a set of ground rules. The
                > > volunteer would give a brief description of who they are and proceed to
                > > based on their life experience answer every question the class asked. Every
                > > class would be diferent as the questions would be spontaneous and open for
                > > debate and discussion. That gives you 180 days of real life insight.

              • Colleen Dolphin
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 1, 2012
                  well, prostitution is illegal...not sure about pornography... but, exotic dancing and bail bondsman aren't having sex in public..

                  Would belly dancing be considered "exotic" as well?  That is very hard too- just try to keep your arms up and moving for the hours they do!

                  Colleen
                  p.s. loved the article
                  p.s.s. maybe we should rename this thread:)

> [...]

                  > > generation, from elder to child. It is how we have educated our young since
                  > > before recorded time.

                  > > have foolishly relinquished our rights and responsibilities almost
                  > > completely.

                  > > projects and question the quality of education they recieve from them.

                  > > go much further with this idea and have no idea if it could be graded
                  > > beyond participation. I would offer a real life class in which everyday a
                  > > different person from the community would volunteer for the day. I would
                  > > have a teacher there to monitor the class with a set of ground rules. The
                  > > volunteer would give a brief description of who they are and proceed to
                  > > based on their life experience answer every question the class asked. Every
                  > > class would be diferent as the questions would be spontaneous and open for
                  > > debate and discussion. That gives you 180 days of real life insight.

                • Joan
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 3, 2012
                    the way you pose the question is odd, because you use plural, as if the school would have teams of exotic dancers flocking in. Not sure if you are picturing that scenario or having dancers come as representative of the population at large ie if 1% of the population is dancers, then have 1% of the guests be exotic dancers. And what do you mean by exotic dancers anyway, are you aware that there is a recent trend of all women pole-dancing exercise studios?