Re: the role of private tutors?

  • fsnyder22
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
      The bottom line is that we should not need tutors, except in the most extraordinary circumstances. HCPSS should provide quality instruction routinely; local administrators should monitor the quality of that instruction routinely; and teachers who fail to meet real standards of quality performance (not the review standards used as part of the teacher evaluation process) should be provided performance improvement plans, monitored closely, and terminated if they fail to meet the agreed upon improvement standards.

      And if HCPSS wanted to know the role of tutors in students' achievement, it is a testable hypothesis; however, if you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question.

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Diane Goodridge <RGoodri973@...> wrote:

      > I subsidized the operation of our public schools from 2008-2010 via private
      > tutors to the tune of $60/hour (once or twice a week, depending on how many
      > tutors we used any given week - different subjects) for the better part of
      > 3 academic years -- using the *HCEA tutor list provided by our high
      > school *(comprised
      > of current/retired teachers).
      >
      > Out of 4 HCEA tutors used, two of them were excellent; one was very good
      > (but not a good match for my student), and one was a waste of money. So
      > even at $60/hour it was a crap shoot - 50% of the time it was money wasted.
      > Seems as though the hourly rate was mandated/suggested by HCEA -- everyone
      > on that list I called cited the same rate!
      >
      > Other parents used private tutors (not on the HCEA list provided by the
      > school) that were significantly cheaper: $35-40/hour and they were happy.
      > I was too far into the process of obtaining excellent tutors to switch by
      > the time I found out about non-HCEA tutors.
      >
      > Diane
      >
      > On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Allen Dyer <aldyer@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > the role of private tutors in the operation of the howard county public
      > > school system should not be a taboo subject. it is time for the
      > > administration to gather information on the need for parents to subsidize
      > > the operation of our public schools via private tutors.
      > >
      > > allen dyer

    • Sue Medicus
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
        The teachers have a great racket going here.  I know some recent college grads who would LOVE to tutor, even for $20 an hour.

        However, they CANNOT be APPROVED< because they are not in the UNION!

        The teachers are VERY protective of their turf.  It's really shameful that young grad students who could relate well are precluded by the protectiveness of the current group in power.

        We only have APPROVED tutors, and they have all banded together to keep rates high.

        Shame on them

        Sue Medicus

        --
        Sue Medicus
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 8, 2011
          1)If a child spends 13 years in our schools and is not qualified to teach what they have learned then our teachers are not worth a dime.

          2)As part of their education and community service put each senior back on their old elementary or middle school bus and send them back to complete the circle as a tutor in their old school for a semester. That is 4,000 free teachers per year and besides most of our seniors finish their senior year on a part time basis.

          3)Those college grads who can't get a job will work for $10 an hour without benefits (substitutes will attest to that) and we can hire a team of two or three for each class room in the hcpss which is far less then what we are currently paying for and probably (hypothesis) out perform the current professional model.

          To be fair it is not the teachers fault they have their hands in our pockets without the will to demand quality from their peers or the ability to produce a quality product. It is our fault for allowing the government to assume our role as parents and raise our children for us as they see fit and outcome dictates.

          Jack

          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Sue Medicus <berryfolks@...> wrote:

          > The teachers have a great racket going here. I know some recent college
          > grads who would LOVE to tutor, even for $20 an hour.
          >
          > However, they CANNOT be APPROVED< because they are not in the UNION!
          >
          > The teachers are VERY protective of their turf. It's really shameful that
          > young grad students who could relate well are precluded by the
          > protectiveness of the current group in power.
          >
          > We only have APPROVED tutors, and they have all banded together to keep
          > rates high.
          >
          > Shame on them
          >
          > Sue Medicus
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:15 AM, fsnyder22 <fsnyder22@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > The bottom line is that we should not need tutors, except in the most
          > > extraordinary circumstances. HCPSS should provide quality instruction
          > > routinely; local administrators should monitor the quality of that
          > > instruction routinely; and teachers who fail to meet real standards of
          > > quality performance (not the review standards used as part of the teacher
          > > evaluation process) should be provided performance improvement plans,
          > > monitored closely, and terminated if they fail to meet the agreed upon
          > > improvement standards.
          > >
          > > And if HCPSS wanted to know the role of tutors in students' achievement,
          > > it is a testable hypothesis; however, if you don't want to know the answer,
          > > don't ask the question.
          > >

          > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Diane Goodridge <RGoodri973@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I subsidized the operation of our public schools from 2008-2010 via
          > > private
          > > > tutors to the tune of $60/hour (once or twice a week, depending on how
          > > many
          > > > tutors we used any given week - different subjects) for the better part
          > > of
          > > > 3 academic years -- using the *HCEA tutor list provided by our high
          > > > school *(comprised
          > >
          > > > of current/retired teachers).
          > > >
          > > > Out of 4 HCEA tutors used, two of them were excellent; one was very good
          > > > (but not a good match for my student), and one was a waste of money. So
          > > > even at $60/hour it was a crap shoot - 50% of the time it was money
          > > wasted.
          > > > Seems as though the hourly rate was mandated/suggested by HCEA --
          > > everyone
          > > > on that list I called cited the same rate!
          > > >
          > > > Other parents used private tutors (not on the HCEA list provided by the
          > > > school) that were significantly cheaper: $35-40/hour and they were happy.
          > > > I was too far into the process of obtaining excellent tutors to switch by
          > > > the time I found out about non-HCEA tutors.
          > > >
          > > > Diane

          > > subsidize

          > --
          > Sue Medicus

        • Colleen Dolphin
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
            That is one thought-

            Here is another:  What if a person (who has had no background check) gets on the list the Union "approves" and does something to a child?  Then everyone would be screaming about the "Union's" approval process....  The "Union" does not set the rates of the people on the list.

            Colleen

            --
            Sue Medicus

          • Colleen Dolphin
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
              Why is it that people think all there is to teaching is regurgitating what they have learned or know?

              Colleen

> [...]

              > > of
              > > > 3 academic years -- using the *HCEA tutor list provided by our high
              > > > school *(comprised
              > >
              > > > of current/retired teachers).
              > > >
              > > > Out of 4 HCEA tutors used, two of them were excellent; one was very good
              > > > (but not a good match for my student), and one was a waste of money. So
              > > > even at $60/hour it was a crap shoot - 50% of the time it was money
              > > wasted.
              > > > Seems as though the hourly rate was mandated/suggested by HCEA --
              > > everyone
              > > > on that list I called cited the same rate!
              > > >
              > > > Other parents used private tutors (not on the HCEA list provided by the
              > > > school) that were significantly cheaper: $35-40/hour and they were happy.
              > > > I was too far into the process of obtaining excellent tutors to switch by
              > > > the time I found out about non-HCEA tutors.

            • Sue Medicus
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                That's a bit off topic.  I hardly think a background check and bring in a union or on an approved list will prevent someone "doing something to a child"  That's far fetched at best.

                Being an administrator at a large well known college didn't stop a coach from abusing children for years.

                I still believe that college graduates, some of whom majored in education or are going for their masters in education, and are well informed enough to tutor, would prove a danger to society.  What they would prove a danger to is the additional income provided to Teachers for tutoring.

                --
                Sue Medicus
              • Sue Medicus
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Typo  I meant to say that those college graduates would NOT prove a danger to society.  If anything, tutoring by someone close to the age of the individual can be very helpful.

                  If in fact you need to be a TEACHER to TUTOR, why do we have so many after school programs throughout the country where High Schoolers help Middle School, College Students help other college students, etc?  All of those efforts are failures?

                  Sue Medicus

                  On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Sue Medicus <berryfolks@...> wrote:
                  That's a bit off topic.  I hardly think a background check and bring in a union or on an approved list will prevent someone "doing something to a child"  That's far fetched at best.

                  Being an administrator at a large well known college didn't stop a coach from abusing children for years.

                  I still believe that college graduates, some of whom majored in education or are going for their masters in education, and are well informed enough to tutor, would prove a danger to society.  What they would prove a danger to is the additional income provided to Teachers for tutoring.

                  --
                  Sue Medicus

                  --
                  Sue Medicus
                • Diane Goodridge
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                    Colleen,

                    When I called the names on the HCEA Tutor List (back in 2008 and 2009) I was flabbergasted by the "uniform" hourly rate I was told. 4 out of 4 tutors charged me $60/hour and I still have notes (from my HCEA Tutor Lists, 2006-07 and 2008-09) where various teachers told me their rate was $60/hour (even the ones I didn't use).  Granted, I didn't call every teacher on that list (some tutored in subjects my student wasn't taking), but for the three subjects I inquired/hired tutors for, that $60/hr rate was amazingly uniform -- and very high.  That's a lot of subsidizing.  Hindsight's 20/20, but I probably should have put my student in private school -- it wouldn't have been that much more expensive!

                    Diane

                    --
                    Sue Medicus

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                                          * * * an approved list of tutors is nothing more than an approved list * * *

                      it is my understanding that the board of education has approved distributing a list of tutors prepared by the HCEA and which contains only teachers employed by the howard county board of education who are willing to serve as private tutors.  the "approved list" allows parents to chose from individuals that: 1. have the credentials necessary to be hired by the board of education as public school teachers; and, 2. are subject to disciplinary measures by the hcpss staff.

                      note -- hcpss teachers are also bound by the board of ed approved ethics policy which places restrictions on the ability of teachers to tutor their own students.  see following link for the revised (but pending impending implementation) ethics policy 2070 --

                      other than that, the hcpss has no authority to restrict the employment of any who hold themselves out as being private tutors.

                      allen dyer
                    • Diane Goodridge

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                          Formal training in teaching is of particular value in developing a
                          curriculum or class plan, in managing a classroom, and so on. Personal, one-
                          on-one tutoring is much easier. The tutor doesn't need to develop a
                          curriculum, doesn't need to devise exams and assignments, just needs to
                          respond to an individual's needs.

                          Almost anyone who knows the material, is reasonably patient, has empathy,
                          and cares about the student can be a successful tutor. Being a classroom
                          teacher is much harder.

                          I agree with those who say we shouldn't need tutors, that the call for
                          tutors is a sign of failure of the school system.
                          --
                          Ray Lischner
                        • The Sola's
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011

                            Allen is correct. When I sat on the ethics committee we simply restricted  teachers from tutoring their students it is a conflict of interest.

                            However this ‘approved list “  concept  is silly, if not illegal.

                            Peter Sola

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011

                              Because they have no idea what a teacher needs to know to be a “good” Teacher and an effective teacher.

                              Peter Sola

> [...]

                              > > of
                              > > > 3 academic years -- using the *HCEA tutor list provided by our high
                              > > > school *(comprised
                              > >
                              > > > of current/retired teachers).
                              > > >
                              > > > Out of 4 HCEA tutors used, two of them were excellent; one was very good
                              > > > (but not a good match for my student), and one was a waste of money. So
                              > > > even at $60/hour it was a crap shoot - 50% of the time it was money
                              > > wasted.
                              > > > Seems as though the hourly rate was mandated/suggested by HCEA --
                              > > everyone
                              > > > on that list I called cited the same rate!
                              > > >
                              > > > Other parents used private tutors (not on the HCEA list provided by the
                              > > > school) that were significantly cheaper: $35-40/hour and they were happy.
                              > > > I was too far into the process of obtaining excellent tutors to switch by
                              > > > the time I found out about non-HCEA tutors.

                            • The Sola's
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011

                                This is really interesting.  On one hand I remember telling a teacher who asked why they are restricted from teaching their own students  and suggesting they talk to friends to recommend a tutor.

                                But  to suggest to  a parent that only teachers can be on the approved,  smacks  of restraint of trade.    MSTA leadership, I am joking.

                                Peter Sola

                                --
                                Sue Medicus

                              • Leslie Kornreich
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                                  I have found it troubling that former teachers (like myself) with Master's degrees (like myself) cannot be on the approved list because we have not been Howard County teachers and members of HCEA. Even substitute teachers, who have passed the county background check and fingerprinting, do not qualify. There are a lot of qualified tutors (who are price-competetive) that Howard County parents cannot find because they cannot offer their services through the school system.

                                  Leslie Kornreich

                                  --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "The Sola's" <pmbsola@...> wrote:

                                  > This is really interesting. On one hand I remember telling a teacher who
                                  > asked why they are restricted from teaching their own students and
                                  > suggesting they talk to friends to recommend a tutor.
                                  >

                                  > But to suggest to a parent that only teachers can be on the approved,
                                  > smacks of restraint of trade. MSTA leadership, I am joking.
                                  >

                                  > Peter Sola

                                • Caren Korn
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                                    Do you think that the Howard County Bar Association website recommends lawyers in in county who are not members?  Do most lawyers charge about the same amount?  It would only be logical that any association or union include members on such lists.
                                    But why would anyone feel limited to use the HCEA/HCPSS list in finding a tutor for your child - there are advertisements everywhere for tutoring (Sylvan & Kumon come to mind)  just google "tutoring companies" and you get pages of local businesses who do this:

                                    http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tutoring+companies&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

                                    Anyone who wants to tutor (and is hopefully qualified) can advertise thru local papers and/or the internet - it's cheaper than paying union dues.  The risk of setting up your child to work with any unknown adult, however, might seem reduced if you know that the adult is an approved (fingerprinted, interviewed, hired, experienced, etc) classroom teacher who has  (most importantly)  references and recommendations.

                                    --
                                    Sue Medicus

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 9, 2011
                                      You need to ask the question what is a teacher and what is an education? Then you need to look at their history and when you realize the infancy of the profession you can question their future.

                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_education because I have seen hcpss teachers with no expertise in the subject they are teaching use wikipedia to instruct their students.

                                      Bottom line, each of us is a teacher and I would seriously recommend we all question the profession.

                                      Jack