Re: [howardpubliced] tick off all sides

  • Wanda Hurt
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2000
      I am finished with my part of the comments on this subject, I only wanted to
      generate a few comments to illustrate that democracy in our country is the
      right to a difference of opinion. My opinion is diametrically opposed to
      the position of many individuals on this list. That is my right as they are
      entitled to theirs. On this issue I do not think that we need worry that we
      will ever have a meeting of the minds.

      Wanda
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2000
        Hello all,
        This is why I have released everything to the press. I can tell you that
        dishonestly runs rampant in the school system, and I am not going to give
        them blind permission to make more thing s up about me.

        If you question whether I am a good teacher of not, listen to my clients.

        -- Kristine

      • WideawakeK@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2000
          1. Mob rule? That's not what I would call it. I would call it a missed
          opportunity to hear our youth. Shame big time on the BOE.
          2. The DOE would not answer the listening post phone the day before. One
          parents said it rang for 25 minutes.

          In a message dated 5/1/00 1:32:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time,
          wandahurt@... writes:

          << I have not responded or added comment to the controversy that has
          surrounded this issue, but I do agree with Jerry that the citizens were wrong
          to take over the meeting in the manner that they did. My own thoughts after
          reading the accounts in the newspaper was that this was mob rule and
          democracy cannot operate under mob rule. I was reminded of a scene "Tale of
          Two Cities" (the 1930's version with Ronald Coleman) when the French
          revolutionary is in the court room yelling "guillotine, guillotine" . As a
          American History fanatic I support the right of free assembly and citizens
          rights, but I abhor mob rule. I was not at the meeting, so I am only going
          by what I read in the paper and what I have read on the onelist. I do not
          agree with what is going on.

          Wanda >>
        • Victor Cofield
          Message 4 of 14 , May 2, 2000
            Wanda wrote:

            So June, was the paper account accurate or was there more than they printed, please inform me?

            June wrote:

            Hi Wanda sorry it took so long to get back.  I think you and I know each other well enough to respectfully agree to disagree on issues, but I also know that you have been a hero over the 6 million dollars and private schools issue for many folks, so we must never forget the whole person we each are.

            I can tell you what I saw and experienced for the first 45-50 minutes of the meeting, when I left Jerry Johnston was the only board of education candidate still in the room, and he personally came over to me and we chatted briefly and he told me the importance he felt to stay and hear what everyone had to say.

            The meeting started with the reading of the statement about 5 speakers, and 3 minutes, and how long that has been going on.  I have attended many meetings and this is the first time I have heard this statement made, while the rule may be limited I have witnessed many times where the public has been asked if anyone else not on the list wanted to speak, and this has been at Listening Post.

            Barry Tevelow spoke, his wife spoke, a woman spoke about her concerns that no one from the board had responded to her when she spoke in December about the National Honor society, and was there today to speak about the need for minority administrators in western Howard County, and now her concerns about the removal of a minority administrator from western Howard County when she saw the transfers for the school system.  This woman was not with the group from what she was saying but she was speaking as others were about not being heard.  A mother spoke about letting go of our children, and then her daughter spoke.

            The chairperson went to proceed with the agenda and Mr. Dyer stood and did say something like madam chairperson the public beseech you to let them speak.  The chairperson said that they have community meetings and arrangements could be made to let them be heard, but there was a long agenda and business to take care of.  (Please note this is rough memory).  Mr. Dyer continued to stand and stated that this was a public meeting in a public room and the public has come out to be heard.  The chairperson asked Mr. Dyer to sit down as the security person for the school system moved up to speak to the chairperson.  As the two spoke quietly, Mr. Dyer orderly started asking folks who wanted to speak and hands started to be raised by many.  Then the chairperson adjourned the meeting and everyone got up and left and members of the audience.

            Initially the public was loud because of the shock of the board of education, superintendent, associate superintendents, staff, public relations person, board secretary all walked out.  But Mr. Tevelow spoke to the supporters and shared the importance of not acting as the elected officials just had but set an example of listening, and that they had the public there and they would be listened too, and proudly these supporters did just that they showed the press, the reporters and the public just what listening is all about and they were heard by the public, at least those who were willing to stay in the room.

            Folks who were there for other reasons and saw the actions said they will be going back to their communities to tell the public what they had witnessed from elected officials of the school system.  I was impressed to watch how orderly the supporters raised hands, applauded each other, spoke about their concerns, shared stories over how Ms. Lockwood had changed their lives as students and parents, how Ms. Lockwood respects students, all one at a time, no shouting, no trying to talk over each other, no cursing, nothing for the first hour (starting from Listening Post time).  Imagine having that many folks obviously upset and with a message and they respectfully waited and took turns to show what listening is.  Now what happen after that I can not comment to, but I have no reason not to believe those who were present in the room.

            What I do know from life that unfortunately arrogance eventually does bring out a reaction in folks, but for the hour I saw it was impressive.

            Thoughtful,
            June
          • Wanda Hurt
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2000
              Thank you June for your notes.  That is not the way that the paper reported the incident.  Your insight is helpful and appreciated.

              Wanda

              June wrote:

[...]

              This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.
              To unsubscribe from this list, send an e-mail to:
              To send a message to the mailing list owner, send