Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

More houses, no more schools

Expand Messages
  • lesliekornreich
    More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn t even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.

      http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/

      When will the insanity stop?

      Leslie Kornreich
    • lesliekornreich
      correction -- the parcel in question was 23 acres.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        correction -- the parcel in question was 23 acres.

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@...> wrote:
        >
        > More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.
        >
        > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/
        >
        > When will the insanity stop?
        >
        > Leslie Kornreich
        >
      • pamythompson
        I first learned of the problems in Elkridge because Ms. Kornreich made a point of speaking out publicly. This helped me to look not only at Elkridge but at the
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          I first learned of the problems in Elkridge because Ms. Kornreich made a point of speaking out publicly. This helped me to look not only at Elkridge but at the entire hcpss with more clarity. There is absolutely no reason why the hcpss conducts our business behind our backs, behind closed doors. The public is questioning the competency of the Howard county school system. The public is demanding the Howard county school system be held accountable for the neglect shown the residents of the North east and the public is demanding inclusion in the Howard county school system. Obviously there is a breakdown between the public and the Howard county school system. I believe the solution is for the public to organize and take over the Howard county school system. I am confident this can be achieved if the Howard county school system does not capitulate and form an open, transparent and inclusive partnership with the public.

          Jack

          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@...> wrote:
          >
          > correction -- the parcel in question was 23 acres.
          >
          > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
          > >
          > > More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.
          > >
          > > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/
          > >
          > > When will the insanity stop?
          > >
          > > Leslie Kornreich
          > >
          >
        • Robert Rhodes
          I believe the solution is for the public to organize and take over the Howard county school system. Ah, the Arab Spring comes to Howard County. Throw out
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            "I believe the solution is for the public to organize and take over the Howard county school system." Ah, the Arab Spring comes to Howard County. Throw out the tyrants and let "the people" run the show. Jack, you make it sound as if the HCPSS is a tantamount to a monarchy, a theocracy, or a dictatorship. The last time I checked, "the people" of HC have the freedom to elect anyone they want to the seven-member Board of Education. These seven democratically elected leaders have the complete authority to hire and fire the Superintendent. The Superintendent is not a dictator who serves for life. He/she serves at the pleasure of the Board. They set his annual goals and they measure them at the point of evaluation.

            Like so many of your posts, both here and in the newspapers, you start out sounding both cogent and reasonable. Then you veer off road driving full speed toward Crazyville throwing bombs along the way, at which point you totally lose your audience. This is why you are often not taken seriously. Really, take over the HCPSS? How would you suggest "they" do this outside the legal means as you seem to be advocating?

            --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@...> wrote:
            >
            > I first learned of the problems in Elkridge because Ms. Kornreich made a point of speaking out publicly. This helped me to look not only at Elkridge but at the entire hcpss with more clarity. There is absolutely no reason why the hcpss conducts our business behind our backs, behind closed doors. The public is questioning the competency of the Howard county school system. The public is demanding the Howard county school system be held accountable for the neglect shown the residents of the North east and the public is demanding inclusion in the Howard county school system. Obviously there is a breakdown between the public and the Howard county school system. I believe the solution is for the public to organize and take over the Howard county school system. I am confident this can be achieved if the Howard county school system does not capitulate and form an open, transparent and inclusive partnership with the public.
            >
            > Jack
            >
            > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
            > >
            > > correction -- the parcel in question was 23 acres.
            > >
            > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.
            > > >
            > > > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/
            > > >
            > > > When will the insanity stop?
            > > >
            > > > Leslie Kornreich
            > > >
            > >
            >
          • kathydaisey2002
            Robert, your explosions at Jack are overly dramatic. I agree with Jack that the HCPSS needs to be transparent, needs to have more of a partnership with the
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              Robert, your explosions at Jack are overly dramatic.

              I agree with Jack that the HCPSS needs to be transparent, needs to have more of a partnership with the parents and the communities that it serves. Currently, my perception of our school system is of a castle on the hill, will a high stone wall and a moat. I feel as if my questions/complaints are not taken seriously because I am ONLY a parent, I do not have any gilded documentation of a background in education.

              We do have the opportunity to elect the members of the Board of Education. But the BOE is responsible for setting policy. In my experience, they don't necessarily have any knowledge of what is going on at the classroom level. Perhaps classroom level knowledge is not necessary for setting policy.

              So, you approach the castle and get turned away - you are ONLY a parent. Next you approach the Board of Ed - thinking that perhaps they are the correct avenue to try since you voted for them. Well, they do listen attentively (I am appreciative of that - I have been HEARD.). But they are responsible for policy, not really parent complaints. They wholeheartedly believe in the occupants of the castle - the ones with the gilded educational background. They want you to be patient for situations to work out.

              As a parent, how can I be patient? There are only 180 days in a school year. Every day I wait for an answer or response is time that my child (or children) will not get back. Every day is another topic I will be responsible for covering for my student to be successful at the next level of instruction.

              I have had the opportunity to attend several Math Advisory Council meetings, thinking perhaps I would have an opportunity to give input to the system. Well, what I have learned is that the ADVISING is coming from the HCPSS - they are telling the community what they are doing, not asking for input.

              NCLB has dumbed us down, and created daily pre-tests, post-test, exit tickets as teachers try to figure out what their students are learning. The students are learning sound bites to regurgitate onto a standardized test.

              The Board of Ed signed on to the HCPSS recommendation to join Race to the Top - and we still don't really know what that will do. Will we get REAL Algebra One back, or will we teach less than the approximately 50% of Algebra One we teach now? Are we really going to get rid of G/T instruction in the middle school?

              I am currently volunteering to help a middle school student with her Math facts. How she got to be in middle school without knowing her Math facts is a mystery - oh, but HCPSS doesn't fail students. My own daughter asked me this week, after an extremely frustrating volunteer session, "How is she going to graduate?" But she will graduate - even without her Math facts, and will probably get recognized on stage for some random accomplishment when we are not even allowed to acknowledge the valedictorian of the class of 2011 or other high achievements on stage.

              Kathy Daisey
            • pamythompson
              Mr. Rhodes, You wear the cloak well, silence or be silenced, all those unwilling to be blindly lead will be chastised. Am I such a thorn in your side? Do you
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                Mr. Rhodes, You wear the cloak well, silence or be silenced, all those unwilling to be blindly lead will be chastised. Am I such a thorn in your side? Do you really believe the hcss does such a fantastic job albeit the need for absolute controll over those they are hired to serve? You both insult and disapoint me. "Outside the legal means as you seem to be advocating?" You honestly do believe the people should be silenced and spoon fed by their government? Perhaps you are the product of this system that finds benefit in abdicating the rights we as Americans so treasure.

                Jack


                --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Rhodes" <robert.rhodeshc@...> wrote:
                >
                > "I believe the solution is for the public to organize and take over the Howard county school system." Ah, the Arab Spring comes to Howard County. Throw out the tyrants and let "the people" run the show. Jack, you make it sound as if the HCPSS is a tantamount to a monarchy, a theocracy, or a dictatorship. The last time I checked, "the people" of HC have the freedom to elect anyone they want to the seven-member Board of Education. These seven democratically elected leaders have the complete authority to hire and fire the Superintendent. The Superintendent is not a dictator who serves for life. He/she serves at the pleasure of the Board. They set his annual goals and they measure them at the point of evaluation.
                >
                > Like so many of your posts, both here and in the newspapers, you start out sounding both cogent and reasonable. Then you veer off road driving full speed toward Crazyville throwing bombs along the way, at which point you totally lose your audience. This is why you are often not taken seriously. Really, take over the HCPSS? How would you suggest "they" do this outside the legal means as you seem to be advocating?
                >
                > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I first learned of the problems in Elkridge because Ms. Kornreich made a point of speaking out publicly. This helped me to look not only at Elkridge but at the entire hcpss with more clarity. There is absolutely no reason why the hcpss conducts our business behind our backs, behind closed doors. The public is questioning the competency of the Howard county school system. The public is demanding the Howard county school system be held accountable for the neglect shown the residents of the North east and the public is demanding inclusion in the Howard county school system. Obviously there is a breakdown between the public and the Howard county school system. I believe the solution is for the public to organize and take over the Howard county school system. I am confident this can be achieved if the Howard county school system does not capitulate and form an open, transparent and inclusive partnership with the public.
                > >
                > > Jack
                > >
                > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > correction -- the parcel in question was 23 acres.
                > > >
                > > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
                > > > >
                > > > > More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.
                > > > >
                > > > > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/
                > > > >
                > > > > When will the insanity stop?
                > > > >
                > > > > Leslie Kornreich
                > > > >
                > > >
                > >
                >
              • cynthia vaillancourt
                Mr. Rhodes,You say the Superintendent serves at the pleasure of the Board and that the seven democratically elected leaders have the complete authority to
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  Mr. Rhodes,
                  You say the Superintendent "serves at the pleasure of the Board"  and that the "seven democratically elected leaders have the complete authority to hire and fire the Superintendent."

                  This is not accurate.  The elected Board of Education hires to Supt and enters into a contract with him/her.  However, the Board cannot fire the SUperintendent without the permission of the State Board of Education ---- even "for cause".  So to say he serves "at the pleasure of the Board" is incorrect.

                  I believe this is a problem.  Our delegation was prepared to help change this several years ago --- but with the stated reason that it was no longer necessary because everything was going fine with the current Superintendent, previous BOE members told the delegation "never mind".  It was a terrible error.  

                  To have the right to fire a Superintendent for cause, or terminate a contract early, does not mean we are planning to or want to do either of those things.  However, by not having this option we are at risk of one day being in the position of being "held hostage" by a failing Superintendent.

                  Cindy Vaillancourt
                  boe, individual opinion


                  To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
                  From: pamythompson@...
                  Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:59:23 +0000
                  Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: More houses, no more schools

                   
                  Mr. Rhodes, You wear the cloak well, silence or be silenced, all those unwilling to be blindly lead will be chastised. Am I such a thorn in your side? Do you really believe the hcss does such a fantastic job albeit the need for absolute controll over those they are hired to serve? You both insult and disapoint me. "Outside the legal means as you seem to be advocating?" You honestly do believe the people should be silenced and spoon fed by their government? Perhaps you are the product of this system that finds benefit in abdicating the rights we as Americans so treasure.

                  Jack

                  --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Rhodes" <robert.rhodeshc@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > "I believe the solution is for the public to organize and take over the Howard county school system." Ah, the Arab Spring comes to Howard County. Throw out the tyrants and let "the people" run the show. Jack, you make it sound as if the HCPSS is a tantamount to a monarchy, a theocracy, or a dictatorship. The last time I checked, "the people" of HC have the freedom to elect anyone they want to the seven-member Board of Education. These sThe Superintendent is not a dictator who serves for life. He/she serves at the pleasure of the Board. They set his annual goals and they measure them at the point of evaluation.
                  >
                  > Like so many of your posts, both here and in the newspapers, you start out sounding both cogent and reasonable. Then you veer off road driving full speed toward Crazyville throwing bombs along the way, at which point you totally lose your audience. This is why you are often not taken seriously. Really, take over the HCPSS? How would you suggest "they" do this outside the legal means as you seem to be advocating?
                  >
                  > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I first learned of the problems in Elkridge because Ms. Kornreich made a point of speaking out publicly. This helped me to look not only at Elkridge but at the entire hcpss with more clarity. There is absolutely no reason why the hcpss conducts our business behind our backs, behind closed doors. The public is questioning the competency of the Howard county school system. The public is demanding the Howard county school system be held accountable for the neglect shown the residents of the North east and the public is demanding inclusion in the Howard county school system. Obviously there is a breakdown between the public and the Howard county school system. I believe the solution is for the public to organize and take over the Howard county school system. I am confident this can be achieved if the Howard county school system does not capitulate and form an open, transparent and inclusive partnership with the public.
                  > >
                  > > Jack
                  > >
                  > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > correction -- the parcel in question was 23 acres.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
                  > > > >
                  > > > > More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.
                  > > > >
                  > > > > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/
                  > > > >
                  > > > > When will the insanity stop?
                  > > > >
                  > > > > Leslie Kornreich
                  > > > >
                  > > >
                  > >
                  >


                • lesliekornreich
                  I believe the 23 acre parcel (I am correcting myself, the 34 acre parcel was a misplaced sign) was about .5 miles from EES and ELMS. It is a former farm
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 7, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I believe the 23 acre parcel (I am correcting myself, the 34 acre parcel was a misplaced sign) was about .5 miles from EES and ELMS. It is a former farm called Shadowbrook Downs that had already been subdivided for new home construction and so seemed appropriate for serious consideration for a desperately needed school. Yes, there's a cell tower on the property (but there's one on the Howard High school property, too), and yes, they would have had to run sewer lines under I-95 at a cost of about %700,000. But the property was up for auction with a starting price of $400,000. For the amount of money that HCPSS could have purchased the land, plus the amount for needed improvements, HCPSS would still not have laid out the market value of the property. It seems silly to make the determination that the property is too close to existing schools when the existing schools are bursting at the seams and we clearly have the population to fill a new one nearby.

                    BTW, Waterloo Elementary and Bellows Spring Elementary are less than a mile apart. Imagine how much worse off we would be if we had decided not to built Bellows Spring because it was too close to Waterloo Elementary.

                    Leslie Kornreich

                    --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Diller" <thdiller@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Wow Leslie, that sounds horrible!! This IS insanity!! BTW, how far away is this parcel from the other schools?
                    >
                    > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.
                    > >
                    > > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/
                    > >
                    > > When will the insanity stop?
                    > >
                    > > Leslie Kornreich
                    > >
                    >
                  • cynthia vaillancourt
                    Leslie and All,As I understand it, this parcel sold to an investor for somewhere in the mid $900ks ($950 ish). I agree the proximity argument is weak - but
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 7, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Leslie and All,
                      As I understand it, this parcel sold to an investor for somewhere in the mid $900ks ($950 ish).   I agree the proximity argument is weak - but there are some other significant difficulties with this parcel, not the least of which is that is really only contained several acres of useable land.  Again, not prohibitive on its' own - but in total another not perfect site.   Of course everyone knows my opinion on delaying while pursuing the elusive perfect site.  I just want to keep the information circulating as accurate as possible.

                      Cindy V


                      To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
                      From: leslie@...
                      Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:08:50 +0000
                      Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: More houses, no more schools

                       
                      I believe the 23 acre parcel (I am correcting myself, the 34 acre parcel was a misplaced sign) was about .5 miles from EES and ELMS. It is a former farm called Shadowbrook Downs that had already been subdivided for new home construction and so seemed appropriate for serious consideration for a desperately needed school. Yes, there's a cell tower on the property (but there's one on the Howard High school property, too), and yes, they would have had to run sewer lines under I-95 at a cost of about %700,000. But the property was up for auction with a starting price of $400,000. For the amount of money that HCPSS could have purchased the land, plus the amount for needed improvements, HCPSS would still not have laid out the market value of the property. It seems silly to make the determination that the property is too close to existing schools when the existing schools are bursting at the seams and we clearly have the population to fill a new one nearby.

                      BTW, Waterloo Elementary and Bellows Spring Elementary are less than a mile apart. Imagine how much worse off we would be if we had decided not to built Bellows Spring because it was too close to Waterloo Elementary.

                      Leslie Kornreich

                      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Diller" <thdiller@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Wow Leslie, that sounds horrible!! This IS insanity!! BTW, how far away is this parcel from the other schools?
                      >
                      > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.
                      > >
                      > > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/
                      > >
                      > > When will the insanity stop?
                      > >
                      > > Leslie Kornreich
                      > >
                      >


                    • Smokey
                      Cindy, At a recent board meeting, you made the statement that you hope we aren t making decisions based off politics or political gain. Given your statement,
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 7, 2011
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Cindy,

                        At a recent board meeting, you made the statement that you hope we aren't making decisions based off politics or political gain.  Given your statement, overcrowding at several schools and excess capacity at others and no new school location then why aren't we redistricting?  At what point should these parents be allowed to move the children to another public school.  At what point is it no longer not equitable for these students to attend at a school at 122% while others attend a school at 67% capacity?


                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On Jun 7, 2011, at 12:29 PM, cynthia vaillancourt <CynthiaVaillancourt@...> wrote:

                        Leslie and All,
                        As I understand it, this parcel sold to an investor for somewhere in the mid $900ks ($950 ish).   I agree the proximity argument is weak - but there are some other significant difficulties with this parcel, not the least of which is that is really only contained several acres of useable land.  Again, not prohibitive on its' own - but in total another not perfect site.   Of course everyone knows my opinion on delaying while pursuing the elusive perfect site.  I just want to keep the information circulating as accurate as possible.

                        Cindy V


                        To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
                        From: leslie@...
                        Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:08:50 +0000
                        Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: More houses, no more schools

                         
                        I believe the 23 acre parcel (I am correcting myself, the 34 acre parcel was a misplaced sign) was about .5 miles from EES and ELMS. It is a former farm called Shadowbrook Downs that had already been subdivided for new home construction and so seemed appropriate for serious consideration for a desperately needed school. Yes, there's a cell tower on the property (but there's one on the Howard High school property, too), and yes, they would have had to run sewer lines under I-95 at a cost of about %700,000. But the property was up for auction with a starting price of $400,000. For the amount of money that HCPSS could have purchased the land, plus the amount for needed improvements, HCPSS would still not have laid out the market value of the property. It seems silly to make the determination that the property is too close to existing schools when the existing schools are bursting at the seams and we clearly have the population to fill a new one nearby.

                        BTW, Waterloo Elementary and Bellows Spring Elementary are less than a mile apart. Imagine how much worse off we would be if we had decided not to built Bellows Spring because it was too close to Waterloo Elementary.

                        Leslie Kornreich

                        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Diller" <thdiller@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Wow Leslie, that sounds horrible!! This IS insanity!! BTW, how far away is this parcel from the other schools?
                        >
                        > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.
                        > >
                        > > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/
                        > >
                        > > When will the insanity stop?
                        > >
                        > > Leslie Kornreich
                        > >
                        >


                      • lesliekornreich
                        I d like to know at what point we stop looking for the perfect school site. That ship sailed a long time ago in this part of the county -- all the virgin,
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 7, 2011
                        • 0 Attachment
                          I'd like to know at what point we stop looking for the "perfect" school site. That ship sailed a long time ago in this part of the county -- all the virgin, untouched land now has houses and strip malls on it. I think the parents of the Elkridge school communities would like a site that's good enough, before we have to start putting our kids on the rooftops of our existing schools.

                          Leslie Kornreich


                          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Smokey <smokey.lisa@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > Cindy,
                          >
                          > At a recent board meeting, you made the statement that you hope we aren't making decisions based off politics or political gain. Given your statement, overcrowding at several schools and excess capacity at others and no new school location then why aren't we redistricting? At what point should these parents be allowed to move the children to another public school. At what point is it no longer not equitable for these students to attend at a school at 122% while others attend a school at 67% capacity?
                          >
                          >
                          > Sent from my iPhone
                          >
                          > On Jun 7, 2011, at 12:29 PM, cynthia vaillancourt <CynthiaVaillancourt@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > >
                          > >
                          > > Leslie and All,
                          > > As I understand it, this parcel sold to an investor for somewhere in the mid $900ks ($950 ish). I agree the proximity argument is weak - but there are some other significant difficulties with this parcel, not the least of which is that is really only contained several acres of useable land. Again, not prohibitive on its' own - but in total another not perfect site. Of course everyone knows my opinion on delaying while pursuing the elusive perfect site. I just want to keep the information circulating as accurate as possible.
                          > >
                          > > Cindy V
                          > >
                          > > To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
                          > > From: leslie@...
                          > > Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 16:08:50 +0000
                          > > Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: More houses, no more schools
                          > >
                          > > I believe the 23 acre parcel (I am correcting myself, the 34 acre parcel was a misplaced sign) was about .5 miles from EES and ELMS. It is a former farm called Shadowbrook Downs that had already been subdivided for new home construction and so seemed appropriate for serious consideration for a desperately needed school. Yes, there's a cell tower on the property (but there's one on the Howard High school property, too), and yes, they would have had to run sewer lines under I-95 at a cost of about %700,000. But the property was up for auction with a starting price of $400,000. For the amount of money that HCPSS could have purchased the land, plus the amount for needed improvements, HCPSS would still not have laid out the market value of the property. It seems silly to make the determination that the property is too close to existing schools when the existing schools are bursting at the seams and we clearly have the population to fill a new one nearby.
                          > >
                          > > BTW, Waterloo Elementary and Bellows Spring Elementary are less than a mile apart. Imagine how much worse off we would be if we had decided not to built Bellows Spring because it was too close to Waterloo Elementary.
                          > >
                          > > Leslie Kornreich
                          > >
                          > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Diller" <thdiller@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Wow Leslie, that sounds horrible!! This IS insanity!! BTW, how far away is this parcel from the other schools?
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "lesliekornreich" <leslie@> wrote:
                          > > > >
                          > > > > More homes going up in Elkridge, right next to EES and ELMS. Yet the BOE wouldn't even seriously consider a 34 acre parcel of land on the market last month because it was "too close" to EES and ELMS.
                          > > > >
                          > > > > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/85044/elkridge-change-means-more-traffic/
                          > > > >
                          > > > > When will the insanity stop?
                          > > > >
                          > > > > Leslie Kornreich
                          > > > >
                          > > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          > >
                          >
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.