Re: Fire Department Public Hearing

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
      Corey,

      I gave this topic some more thought. I do realize when discussing school sites in the northeast some one had mentioned this site. I do not know if the suggestion would be to seek the fire department's new site, use their old site or pursue a trade. Does the county even have a bank of sites held by individual agencies which may be better used by a different interest? What are the prospects of a smaller site? Perhaps we are looking at education backwards, a smaler site could accommodate a smaller school such as a K-3. Perhaps we need to pioneer a new concept, instead of the focus being the final product, college, we should establish a beginings university model.

      As to lack of participation, recognition alone is not a solution. When you establish your town hall meetings I will make you a promise now to attend.

      Jack

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@...> wrote:

      > Corey,
      >
      > I read the article below a few weeks back. I don't know what I could contribute of any significance. I am on the other side of the county in Lisbon. I can tell you this, there is rumor some property located at the intersection of 144 and 97 is about to be donated to the Lisbon fire dept, which is currently about 100 yards away, for a new station to be built. The trade off, the rest of the farm will be rezoned, commercial I believe. It appears a bit more then rumor.
      >
      > I have a great interest in education but honestly I often find myself questioning my methods. "Disappointing to see so few people there" is a sentiment I often find I share with you. I have been thinking about this since I came to Howardpubliced. Constantly thinking of a way to involve people. It is good to see someone young like your self here. Perhaps we need to include in our education system more to foster awareness and involvement in the community. As you point out, the lack of participation is a very real problem.
      >
      > Jack
      >
      > From The Howard County Times
      >
      > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/80682/cramped-elkridge-fire-department-seeks-new-home/
      >

      > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Corey Andrews <cacoreya@> wrote:
      > >
      > > They didn't seem to have any plan to "make a deal" with the school system or
      > > even move in that direction. And, of course, I can't do any type of negotiating
      > > for the school system. I would, however, like to say that they are asking for a
      > > LOT of public input on this, and it was disappointing to see so few people
      > > there.
      > >
      > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      > >
      > > Corey Andrews
      > >

      > > ________________________________

    • lesliekornreich
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
        Corey,

        I'm sorry to hear so few people showed up, but until you announced it here on howardpubliced, I had no idea about it. I live down the street from the fire station and I didn't see a single sign around Elkridge announcing the public hearing. I'd have to say they did a pretty poor job of publicizing it.

        Leslie Kornreich

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Corey Andrews <cacoreya@...> wrote:

        > They didn't seem to have any plan to "make a deal" with the school system or
        > even move in that direction. And, of course, I can't do any type of negotiating
        > for the school system. I would, however, like to say that they are asking for a
        > LOT of public input on this, and it was disappointing to see so few people
        > there.

        > Corey Andrews
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Corey Andrews

          I'm sorry to hear so few people showed up, but until you announced it here on howardpubliced, I had no idea about it. I live down the street from the fire station and I didn't see a single sign around Elkridge announcing the public hearing. I'd have to say they did a pretty poor job of publicizing it.

          Leslie Kornreich

          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Corey Andrews <cacoreya@...> wrote:

          > They didn't seem to have any plan to "make a deal" with the school system or
          > even move in that direction. And, of course, I can't do any type of negotiating
          > for the school system. I would, however, like to say that they are asking for a
          > LOT of public input on this, and it was disappointing to see so few people
          > there.

          > Corey Andrews
          >

          > ________________________________

        • lesliekornreich
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
            I open every piece of mail we receive, and I promise you we did not get a letter from EVFD about their public hearing. Perhaps it's because those of us who live off of Hanover Road are actually in the 21076 zip code and our mailing address is not Elkridge. Ironic, considering we live closer to the fire station than anyone on the other side of Route 1.

            Leslie Kornreich

            --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Corey Andrews <cacoreya@...> wrote:

            > Believe it or not, they actually sent out letters to every resident of Elkridge.
            > Unfortunately, many people threw them aside thinking they were the normal
            > donation letters.

            > Corey Andrews
            > 2012 Candidate for Howard County Board of Education
            > Blog: http://andrewsforboe.blogspot.com/
            >
            > Phone Number: 410-456-6815
            > Email: cacoreya@...
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Corey Andrews

              I open every piece of mail we receive, and I promise you we did not get a letter from EVFD about their public hearing. Perhaps it's because those of us who live off of Hanover Road are actually in the 21076 zip code and our mailing address is not Elkridge. Ironic, considering we live closer to the fire station than anyone on the other side of Route 1.

              Leslie Kornreich

              --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Corey Andrews <cacoreya@...> wrote:

              > Believe it or not, they actually sent out letters to every resident of Elkridge.
              > Unfortunately, many people threw them aside thinking they were the normal
              > donation letters.

              > Corey Andrews
              > 2012 Candidate for Howard County Board of Education
              > Blog: http://andrewsforboe.blogspot.com/
              >
              > Phone Number: 410-456-6815
              > Email: cacoreya@...

            • Rose DiLosa
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1, 2011
                I live in the 21075 zip with an Elkridge address.   I also open all mail and did not see this announcement.
                Rose