RE: [howardpubliced] Re: cynthiavaillancourt@msn.com has shared: Mother claims Howard County school ignored bullying

  • Roger Lerner
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011

      Mr. Diller,

      The openness of this board is proven by the fact that your posts continue to appear.

      Yesterday, you challenged the credentials of those who criticized you.  Today, when they trumped yours with years of dedication and involvement to and with the School System, you dismiss them with some nonsense about a secret identity.  This is the stuff of propaganda, and, yet because this is a free board, you can continue.

      You are entitled to your own opinion, just not your own facts, and the fact is that the criticism you drew was a result of your consistent personal attacks and  not the expression of your substantive views.  Again, in the classic style of the propagandist, unable to sustain the substantive argument,  you then claimed to be the victim.  And again, the free and open board allowed you to post.

      To avoid confusion, though I am addressing this to you, I do not seek to engage you.  Rather, I am writing to refute and deflate your apparent effort to restrain the dialogue of others here through your disingenuous polemics.

      Carry on folks. We may not always see eye-to-eye, but civil discourse is the best way  common ground.  Consider the alternatives.

      Roger Lerner

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
        "Reflector" Is that what this is called? And here I thought it was an electronic forum.

      • theresajones10
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
          I remember a friend of mine who has since moved out of HOCO telling me about her first grader at EES who was being bullied by one child. After behavioral interventions for both children met with limited success, mom went in for a meeting. She heard all about the extensive lengths that parents of the bully went to including therapy for their child, the efforts of staff (including suspension of the offender) that were unsuccessful, etc. Obviously they were trying. But, she pointed out "YOU EXPECT MY 6 YEAR OLD TO SOLVE A PROBLEM THAT 8 ADULTS HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO?" That's when the system fails. When we give up and tell the kids they are on their own. Whether we say it's because "we don't get involved in minor incidents" or we admit we are at a loss to know what to do, it is the adults that need to find the answers and give these kids tools to succeed.

          We have good anti bullying programs that have contributed to a positive learning environment, and schools should be applauded for their successful implementation. But it needs to go further. What do you do when a child bullies other children anyway? What is good for the child who has issues that lead to being a bully or a bully target? How can we keep kids feeling safe in school? We cannot leave our kids out there on their own to solve the problems. With their limited power and life experience, the see few options, with the most tragic being suicide.
        • edkator
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
            Does anyone else find it sad that related to CV's initial posting of a story concerning bullying in our schools, that the Dillers and Lerners bully each other! And we wonder where our children learn their behavior.

          • Roger Lerner
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011

              Ms. Jones,

              We do have excellent programs to address bullying in HCPSS due to the dedication and support of the Pam Blackwell and her staff, as well as the by-in from administrators, and the fact that “by-in” is a requirement not a choice.  Nothing is perfect of course, so parents need to know that the problem is not theirs or especially their child’s to solve, and if it isn’t solved at the school level, they need to move it up the line.

              Separately, you are right that more needs to be done, and in fact, the School System is doing more.  All the research shows:

              (1)    The worst things adults can do is deny or ignore the problem.  Children consistently report that is like being bullied twice.

              (2)    It is important to “empower the bystander” which means teaching children who witness bullying of others to speak up, to stand up for each other.

              This latter concept is profound.  In practice it allows us to teach children the importance of protecting each other--being concerned for each other’s wellbeing.  It is what was once called “brotherhood”.   Currently the anti-bullying task force is looking into incorporating the teaching of this concept into existing curriculum, finding instances where lesson can illustrate the practice.  Examples include support from unaffiliated organizations and religious groups for the Civil Rights Movement, and “Righteous Gentiles” during the Holocaust., to state the most obvious, but also extend to acts of charity and assistance among neighbors in American pioneer culture, as well as simple examples of acts of good Samaritans in the community at large.

              I am hopeful that the work of the task force will help expand HCPSS’s already good anit-bullying efforts into something greater.  Doing so can enrich us all.

              Roger Lerner

[...]

            • Corey Andrews
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
                Most of you "politically correct" and extremely sensitive people aren't going to like this, but we also need to teach students that it is acceptable to defend themselves in a case a physical threat. In high school, my father was "ganged-up on" by a group of students and was suspended for defending himself. If we stop teaching our students to be wimps by not standing up for themselves, I guarantee that the level of bullying will decrease.

[...]

              • Mike Klatzkin
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011

                  Roger,

                  The system benefits greatly from your continued advocacy on anti-bullying. The ‘empowering the bystander’ is a force multiplier for what is right. As the parent of a student with disabilities, I see this as a necessary step toward maintaining a peaceful existence for all of our children – and ourselves. The Golden Rule.

                  Thanks for your continued efforts and those of Pam Blackwell and the staff.

                  Mike Klatzkin

                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
                    Shifting issues, I'd like to know whether anyone has had experience with bullying in Howard County (or any other district) in which the situation was handled effectively by the administration. If so, then, without violating anyone's privacy, would you be willing to share what method(s) of addressing bullying were effective?
                  • Debra Radcliffe-Borsch
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
                      Dear swb10two,

                      I think the Vice Prinicpal, Mr Rhodes, at Glenwood Middle handled the bullying of my son the best he could (time period 1998-2001).  He tried to get the bully's parents to come to the school--only to learn that these two lawyers had placed a phone block on their phone to prevent the school (and me) from calling them.  Given that they refused to deal with their child and since the bullying was at its worst during recess, my son requested and got permission to spend recess in the Media Room.  Basically avoiding contact with the bully, given the bully's parents attitude of non-cooperation and the bully having the same attitude.  Then....(because there was a lottery for the Tech Magnet program at that time), my son was guaranteed a spot to attend River Hill, instead of his home school of Glenelg.  Again, the purpose of avoiding the bully was successful.  We later learned that the bully dropped out of high school in the 9th grade, but by then my son was loving his program at River Hill and had no desire to transfer back to his home school, even though he could have slept in later.  The bus came at what seemed to be "oh dark thirty" in the morning to get him to RHHS and ARL on time.  My son graduated and was accepted at Capitol College, where they love River Hill High School and the Applied Research Lab; after completion of his courses, he was gainfully employed prior to graduation from college.

                      Oh...and Corey, yes, my son (and I) had to talk with a police officer about his use of a "weapon" (the broken handle of a plastic knife) when he tried to defend himself against the bully. [Blaming the victim]  The police officer realized that he was talking to the wrong kid in the "fight" and simply talked with my son, instead of "arresting" him as the bully was demanding.  The bully accused my son of sexual aggression, too, which was another lie.  The police officer just shook his head and refused to "obey" the bully's demands.

                      Does this help?
                      Debra

                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
                        If you don't mind telling, was there disciplinary action taken against your son at the school?

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
                          Oh yes!  He was suspended on the "weapons" charge until the two of us met with the police officer.  My son has had an IEP for his entire public school career and the school usually ignored the fact that he should not have been suspended based on his IEP, but they frequently did it anyway, especially when he was goaded into retaliation.  I tried to get an attorney for the "weapons" charge, but couldn't afford one and didn't have the emotional or physical energy to fight with the school while working 2 jobs and dealing with the requirements of home life as a single parent.  My son's father (my ex-husband) did make a trip from out-of-state to meet with the principal of Glenwood, who basically blew him off with the "we can't get involved with every little spat between students" argument.

                          I was never so glad for my son to get out of middle school in all my life.  He NEVER had such problems at River Hill.
                          Debra

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 1, 2011
                            I have to wonder... do private schools handle these things differently?

                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 2, 2011
                              Responding to edkator's observation, below:

                              My perspective is that Roger Lerner and Chris Wertman were on the receiving side of the bullying (in addition to Cindy Vallaincourt), and they were (successfully) attempting to "take a stand" AGAINST the bullying action.

                              But I do agree with you, edkator, that it's sad that related to Cindy Vallaincourt's original posting (a story regarding bullying in our schools) that Thomas Diller, in particular, is propagating this bullying by institgating it on the adult level.

                              Thank you, Roger and Chris, for taking a stand against this adult-level bullying. Your efforts and eloquent statements are very much appreciated.

                              Diane