Re: New Board Candidates Remember Who You Represent

  • parenthcpss
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5, 2010
      To the BOE candidates,

      The parents and teachers from Reservoir High School are eager to hear your point of view regarding this issue.

      1.The data indicates a persistent problem with teacher retention at Reservoir High School.
      2.Research shows that a lack of teaching continuity negatively impacts a student's education.
      3.Teachers have revealed that it is the managerial conduct of the Principal that motivates them to request transfers to other schools.
      4.The HCEA president has confirmed this with past teachers who have come forward.
      5.The Central Administration has failed to act on behalf of the teachers and students despite their knowledge of the data.
      6.The BOE, with the exception of Alan Dyer, voted not to discuss the issue.

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "jreybold" <jreybold@...> wrote:

      > Good luck to all new Board of Education candidates this week and next with the primary election. For those of you who have been following Reservoir High issues, you can see what happens when you lose your focus. The link below is an editorial I wrote on the complacency of the current BOE. Those of you outside of the Reservoir district may not be aware of the collateral damage brought on by the Board's refusal to act on this principal. It only took one Board member determined to protect his close personal friend to convince his friends on the Board to ignore an entire community for 8 years. (See my response below) Please do not ever forget those you represent and those who entrusted you with their children's future by voting you into office.
      > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/74360/reservoirs-revolving-door-shows-we-need-new-school-board/
      >
      > Larry, or hcwoods as you prefer. Thank you for bringing this topic back to my original point. Reservoir's issues are a symptom of a much bigger problem in the HCPSS. You are correct in stating we have elevated this issue at every possible level of the school system. For two years we have collected data from the school system and presented it back to you only to have it swept under the rug a second time. Our tax dollars pay for employees of the school system to collect data, analyze the data, and then, when it differs from what the school system wants to see, they alter the numbers they are required to report and simply ignore the rest. The real issue is the complacency of the current BOE that by law is charged "to promote the interests of the schools under its jurisdiction" and has instead chosen to promote the interest of their friends. Is this a vendetta, no. It is an attempt to institute change into a system that has become so consumed with self-preservation, it has forgotten about the very teachers, students and taxpayers it is supposed to serve. I think your next book should be on how complacency tears apart a community and pits teacher against teacher, parent against parent, students against administrators. This issue would never have reached the media had any one of those in the long line of oversight you mentioned done their job. But teachers are speaking out now and change is coming to Reservoir...this from an email Weds. with permission to print from the HCEA president..." HCPSS staff has come forward to confirm what you wrote. Some have left and are willing to speak out without fear while others remain and are terrified. While I respect Dr. Kaufman, I cannot support cruelty, vindictiveness, and manipulations." I think it is time you ask yourself who really is responsible for this mess?
      > Signed, Julie Reybold

    • lesliekornreich
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2010
        Sue,

        I'm in total agreement with you. We do need a Board that acts on behalf of its students, parents, teachers. The Reservoir turnover issue is clearly one which should never have gone ignored, and it is representative of an epidemic on the part of this
        Board to do nothing to avert a problem before it happens. The same inaction on their part has led the eastern part of our county to have a huge overcrowding problem in our elementary schools. They could have seen it coming and they have done nothing to prevent it. The buck stops with the Board and they have been lying down on the job on this issue.

        Leslie Kornreich
        Candidate, Board of Education
        www.lesliekforboe2010.com

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Sue Medicus <berryfolks@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > to other easily identifiable forms - essentially removing any possibility of
        > > anonymity. Is this a correct description of what is happening?

        > > meeting a few weeks ago. Did he give you a time table or indication of how
        > > he plans to look into this situation, or what his role could possibly be in
        > > bringing about some kind of solution?

        > > Represent

        > > with the primary election. For those of you who have been following
        > > Reservoir High issues, you can see what happens when you lose your focus.
        > > The link below is an editorial I wrote on the complacency of the current
        > > BOE. Those of you outside of the Reservoir district may not be aware of the
        > > collateral damage brought on by the Board's refusal to act on this
        > > principal. It only took one Board member determined to protect his close
        > > personal friend to convince his friends on the Board to ignore an entire
        > > community for 8 years. (See my response below) Please do not ever forget
        > > those you represent and those who entrusted you with their children's future
        > > by voting you into office.
        > > > >

        > > http://www.explorehoward.com/news/74360/reservoirs-revolving-door-shows-we-need-new-school-board/

        > > to my original point. Reservoir's issues are a symptom of a much bigger
        > > problem in the HCPSS. You are correct in stating we have elevated this issue
        > > at every possible level of the school system. For two years we have
        > > collected data from the school system and presented it back to you only to
        > > have it swept under the rug a second time. Our tax dollars pay for employees
        > > of the school system to collect data, analyze the data, and then, when it
        > > differs from what the school system wants to see, they alter the numbers
        > > they are required to report and simply ignore the rest. The real issue is
        > > the complacency of the current BOE that by law is charged "to promote the
        > > interests of the schools under its jurisdiction" and has instead chosen to
        > > promote the interest of their friends. Is this a vendetta, no. It is an
        > > attempt to institute change into a system that has become so consumed with
        > > self-preservation, it has forgotten about the very teachers, students and
        > > taxpayers it is supposed to serve. I think your next book should be on how
        > > complacency tears apart a community and pits teacher against teacher, parent
        > > against parent, students against administrators. This issue would never have
        > > reached the media had any one of those in the long line of oversight you
        > > mentioned done their job. But teachers are speaking out now and change is
        > > coming to Reservoir...this from an email Weds. with permission to print from
        > > the HCEA president..." HCPSS staff has come forward to confirm what you
        > > wrote. Some have left and are willing to speak out without fear while others
        > > remain and are terrified. While I respect Dr. Kaufman, I cannot support
        > > cruelty, vindictiveness, and manipulations." I think it is time you ask
        > > yourself who really is responsible for this mess?

      • Sue Medicus
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2010
          It's great to hear so many pro-active candidates for the Board

          Although I no longer have children in the system I am very concerned because all children need to be in our care.

          Sue M

          --
          Sue Medicus
        • lesliekornreich
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5, 2010
            Any school that shows a problem with teacher retention requires a serious inquiry into the reason for the turnover. If the research reveals that dissatisfaction with the principal of the school is the reason for teachers leaving the school, the Board and the superintendent must delve into the root causes of the dissatisfaction. The problem cannot be solved until the reasons for it are unearthed and changes made, otherwise the cycle of teacher turnover will keep repeating itself.

            It is my understanding that there is currently no formal system of assessment for administrators in Howard County. If I am elected to the Board of Education, I would work to institute such a system. The assessments must consist of comprehensive evaluations by teachers, parents and supervisors. Any underlying issues raised by these assessments must be dealt with immediately and if necessary, the principal removed and replaced. By implementing a regular system of assessment, I would ensure that situations like this one would not linger, unaddressed.

            We have a system in which we take excellent principals from great middle and high schools in our county and move them to troubled schools in the hopes that principal can turn the school around. In that process, though, the great school loses a fantastic principal. We need to look outside our system for principals with reputations for turning around troubled schools and bring them to Howard County. Let's leave our outstanding principals in our outstanding schools.

            Leslie Kornreich, candidate for Board of Education
            www.lesliekforboe2010.com

            --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "parenthcpss" <parenthcpss@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > Larry, or hcwoods as you prefer. Thank you for bringing this topic back to my original point. Reservoir's issues are a symptom of a much bigger problem in the HCPSS. You are correct in stating we have elevated this issue at every possible level of the school system. For two years we have collected data from the school system and presented it back to you only to have it swept under the rug a second time. Our tax dollars pay for employees of the school system to collect data, analyze the data, and then, when it differs from what the school system wants to see, they alter the numbers they are required to report and simply ignore the rest. The real issue is the complacency of the current BOE that by law is charged "to promote the interests of the schools under its jurisdiction" and has instead chosen to promote the interest of their friends. Is this a vendetta, no. It is an attempt to institute change into a system that has become so consumed with self-preservation, it has forgotten about the very teachers, students and taxpayers it is supposed to serve. I think your next book should be on how complacency tears apart a community and pits teacher against teacher, parent against parent, students against administrators. This issue would never have reached the media had any one of those in the long line of oversight you mentioned done their job. But teachers are speaking out now and change is coming to Reservoir...this from an email Weds. with permission to print from the HCEA president..." HCPSS staff has come forward to confirm what you wrote. Some have left and are willing to speak out without fear while others remain and are terrified. While I respect Dr. Kaufman, I cannot support cruelty, vindictiveness, and manipulations." I think it is time you ask yourself who really is responsible for this mess?

          • david_thalheimer
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 13, 2010
              Thank you Leslie. I keep hearing that teachers get the least respect of anyone in the school system and are routinely ignored by the administration. If this is true, there is no way we will ever improve, since great teachers (and principals) are the key to having a great school system.

              I've had feedback from teachers who, surprisingly, say they welcome a more rigorous performance evaluation system, since the current one is meaningless and allows low-performing teachers to carry on as if they were doing just fine. We need a system that ensures we have the best possible teachers and principals and that gives them the respect and autonomy they need to do a great job.

              David Thalheimer