Re: [howardpubliced] Re: School Lunch

  • Colleen Dolphin
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hi Mr. Meshkin,
      Thank you for those links.  I looked at them and also spoke to Ms. Klatko for clarification.  I found out that HCPSS's hambuger is 3.0 oz and their roll is 1.83oz.  McDonald's hambuger is 1.0 oz. while their roll is 2.5 oz.  This means that HCPSS has a total of 225mg less of sodium, more fiber, vitamin A, protein, carbohydrates and no trans fat.  HCPSS has 4 grams more total fat but it is larger.  Ms. Klatko said she presented this at a BOE meeting (on the attached powerpoint- specifically slide 21) in June (I think).  What I am wondering is if you knew this (b/c I know you follow the BOE meetings)? You have been very helpful on this topic and this is a hot topic for me.  Can you tell me if this information seems accurate to you or am I missing more?
      Thanks,
      Colleen

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 10, 2010
        Dear Colleen -

        Thank you so much for the email. I apologize for the delay in responding,
        but it's been a crazy week.

        Your email piqued my curiosity, as the Chicken Nugget comparison is pretty
        obvious, but with the patty and bun issue with the hamburger, it could be a
        little trickier.

        The manager at a local McDonalds confirmed with me that my initial
        comparison was correct, but could not give a breakdown of the patty because
        the weight frozen versus cooked is different.

        So, I got the number for McDonalds corporate and spoke with someone in
        product management to find out the exact information.

        Here's the actual breakdown from McDonalds corporate on their hamburger:

        The McDonalds hamburger patty is 1.2 oz (33g) and the bun is 1.8 oz (52g).

        So clearly, the weight difference does play a role in the nutritional facts
        label. Thus, my initial comparison was inaccurate. For that, I apologize
        and I appreciate your willingness to help me better understand the contrast.

        Despite that inaccuracy, the underlying issues still remain with the
        hamburger.

        For example, the meat used by the McDonalds hamburger is 100% beef versus
        the mixture of ingredients in the HCPSS hamburger that could not even be
        legally served at McDonalds (source:
        http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-12-08-school-lunch-standards_N.h
        tm). This is problematic and extends to the tacos and every other school
        lunch entrée serving meat.

        Plus, the chicken nugget comparison still holds.

        As PTA Council Health & Wellness Committee Chairperson, a member of the
        School Health Council, a PTA President, and now a candidate, I have been
        working on this issue for a couple years now. I appreciate your help in
        clarifying that one subtle difference and I will do a better job of
        inquiring of McDonalds staff and others in industry next time. I feel bad
        that I gotten confused on that subtly for the hamburger serving size.

        But I don't want my mistake on the hamburger serving size to negate the
        bigger problem with the hamburger, the remaining issues with the chicken
        nuggets, and all of the other entrees served.

        The issues still remain with school lunches. Recently, I hosted a community
        film screening of the movie Two Angry Moms in Glenelg/Ellicott City. It is
        a great 62-minute documentary on local school districts who have already
        done the things I am advocating, some of those things are:

        1) Linking schools with local farms - I've already been involved in this
        through the massive expansion of Community Supported Agriculture (CSAs) in
        the county this past year with pick-ups at schools around the county. I've
        already spoken with the Farm Bureau, 4H, and the FFA and we have a program
        ready to go;

        2) Creating living garden classrooms on school property - I've already
        worked with someone over at the HC Conservancy on a program to build off of
        what he did at his university in Boulder, CO to implement this here. We have
        a business plan that clearly lays out all of the details which will turn
        land (asset) that the county sees as a cost into a revenue generator for the
        schools, with the added bonus of providing a living classroom experience for
        the students;

        3) Improving the nutritional content of school breakfasts, lunches, and
        snacks - building off of the successful pilot at Centennial Lane Elementary
        for snacks and the one menu item approved by the school system generated by
        students, we can completely re-vamp our school system menu and content --
        all within the same budget like others school districts have done.

        4) Making our cafeterias nutritional classrooms - Building off of the
        success of Days of Taste here in Ho Co, we can allow our kids to participate
        in the preparation of foods and better understand where their food comes
        from.

        All of these initiatives have been done by others, piloted, and have a
        replicable model that just needs to be implemented well. There is no
        experimentation here, nor is this rocket science. My proposals are rooted
        in sound science that stands opposed to our local Food and Nutrition Service
        which claims that more sugar improves academic performance and student
        behavior (from their own slide deck that they use sponsored by the Corn
        Refiners Association) compared to the non-biased scientific community,
        teachers, and parents who know that more sugar negatively affects a child's
        ability to pay attention and perform well academically.

        I look forward to continuing this dialogue with you Colleen and others on
        the listserv because this is an important issue, and a particular way we can
        improve student academic performance, behavior, and health without having to
        spend more.

        Best wishes,
        Brian Meshkin
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 10, 2010
          Brian-
          When you say the schools are serving a "mixture of meats" ... can you be more specific?  Is the hamburger our kids are being served "hamburger" , as in ground beef?  or is ir some kind of ground meat?  or a vegetarian soy based concoction?  Where is this information about the "mixture of meats" served in our schools available?

          Thank you,
          Cindy Vaillancourt
          candidate and parent.

          To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 12, 2010
            I guess any meat product whether hamburger , chicken or fish should be disclosed .

            There are a number of food service workers watching this discussion . They are concerned about health care benefits , working conditions , unions but most of all they feel as though they are being subjected to punishment and retaliation primarily from their upper administration . They also feel as though they are being pressured . I am told the conditions are so bad that it is dificult to find managers for some schools and current workers are not willing to accept manager positions and subject themselves to to the demands of the senior administration .

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 12, 2010
              Every HCPSS employee should feel respected and valued.  Where this is not the case, it is a travesty that should be addressed.

              I cannot imagine that efforts to improve the quality of the food served to our children could be the source of these tensions.

              It is obviously not the "fault" of any of the workers if the "meat" the US Government arranges for our schools to buy is only 40% ground meat, and the rest is some fairly repulsive sounding mixture of fillers and other "animal parts"... that are not necessarily even beef parts.

              The budget for an organization the size of the HCPSS cannot be balanced on the backs of the most vulnerable employees.  We can do better.

              cindy vaillancourt
              candidate, boe

              To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
              From: pamythompson@...
              Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 04:26:58 +0000

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 12, 2010
                I believe you have found the problem , if the kids will not eat the food then the food service workers should not be punished for it and we certainly can not expect these workers to accept abuse and punishment from the administration in an effort to make a profit .

                Yes , I believe you are beginning to see the picture .

              • Brian Meshkin
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 13, 2010
                  I agree with Cindy. Every employee is important and should feel valued.

                  I have heard horror stories from HCEA about how central office personnel in
                  Food and Nutrition Service treat the school cafeteria employees. There is a
                  culture of fear and retribution that must end. The employees who work in
                  our school cafeterias are the front line engaging our students. We must
                  support them and provide them with the best food to serve our students, and
                  provide them professional development opportunities to grow and develop.
                  How wonderful will it be when we realize that our cafeterias can be
                  nutritional classrooms and we train our cafeteria staff to engage in the
                  learning process with our students? We can do this!

                  For this reason and so many others, I am seeking to make substantial changes
                  to our Food and Nutrition service central office operation - as a citizen
                  and if elected, as a Board member.

                  The minimum requirement meals need to end.

                  The culture of fear and retribution needs to end.

                  The practice of short-changing lunch time to sell junk food snacks needs to
                  end.

                  The year over year reduction in food sales because of poor product quality
                  needs to end.

                  We can do better. Together, with the support of our PTA community, school
                  cafeteria workers, local restaurant community, and local farms, I know that
                  we can do this if we have a Board of Education willing to lead and hold our
                  central office Food and Nutrition Service management accountable or replace
                  them. That's what I will do.

                  Yours in service,
                  Brian Meshkin

                  Brian Meshkin
                  Candidate in 2010
                  Howard County Board of Education
                  phone: 410-575-3070
                  email: brian@...
                  web: www.BrianMeshkin.com
                  text: MESHKIN to 51684
                  twitter: @meshkin
                  facebook: www.facebook.com/bmeshkin
                • Colleen Dolphin
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 13, 2010
                    Dear Mr. Meshkin,
                    Thank you for looking into the serving size aspect of McD's  hamburgers versus HCPSS's.  I am absolutely for better nutrition but I am also in favor of reporting accurate information.  When I posted the information about the discrepancy in serving sizes, I also posted a power point that was presented to the BOE in June 2010.  In that power point there was a section about the chicken nuggets as well.  This is what it stated:

                    "The school system serves 5 chicken nuggets to meet requirement and McDonald’s serves either 4 or 6 piece portions.  We reduced our servings to one each and then multiplied the nutrients by both 4 and 6 to get equivalents for comparison.  We used McDonald’s 6-piece portion as they present it without any changes to make the comparison.  School system chicken nuggets in the equivalent 6 piece serving size have 47 milligrams LESS Sodium, 5 grams LESS total fat; 45 LESS calories; and 2 grams LESS carbohydrates for the same size serving, BUT MORE fiber, iron, calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.  Neither have added trans fat."

                    Does this information seem valid to you?

                    In addition, Cynthia asked a good question about what HCPSS mixes with it's meat.  I called Ms. Klatko and asked her.  She stated that our hamburger is 100% beef and took a picture of the box it comes in as proof (I have attached the picture).  To your knowledge is this true or do you have documentation to verify otherwise?

                    Lastly and I don't mean to pounce, I think your heart is in the right place, but I feel mislead  by some statements I have heard you make... I was at some of the sites were the inoculations were taking place last year and didn't remember seeing volunteer nurses.  I also happen to be friends with some of the HCPSS nurses that had to work overtime because they were helping out so many of the clinics.  So, when I saw the statement you made in the flier about getting 100 volunteer nurses in lieu of HCPSS staff to provide inoculations I was confused and asked someone in charge.  She said that you had provided a list of 75 volunteer nurses that may have been able to help but to her recollection only one showed up.  Can you comment on that?

                    Thanks,
                    Colleen

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 13, 2010
                      I can't speak for anyone here but I can shed some light on this issue

                      You can search the H1N1 issue in the archives either here or at the Glenelghighschool yahoo group . At both places and the Glenelg PTSA I brought up the schools were on the front lines . No one from the Coward county school system steped up to the challenge and the PTSA was screaming they were not going to champion my cause as though there was some kind of glory in common sense . Eventually the Glenelg PTSA took up the cause as their own and gathered their resources to help give out the vacine . I can not tell you how involved they were in their effort but Ms. Nussbaum still runs the Glenelg site and I am sure she could . The bottom line is that the school system failed to rally to the cause , showed no leadership and as always shirked their responsibility to the community .

                      As to the food issue , Ms Klatko should give a full accounting to the stakeholders on every issue . I do not see this readily available from her or anyone else in the system however I do see parents at great risk of retaliation to their children coming forward and attempting to not only expose the problems but offer solutions as well .

                      Perhaps we should ask Mcdonalds or any other comercial chain to offer the children a more nutritous meal at a better price then our current system provides and see what profesionals in the industry can provide us as partners . Actually we could probably get these corporations to offer their insight and expertise on behalf of the children as a contribution to the community .

                      Then again there are many solutions but it begins with open transparent inclusion of the community and I do not see the current school system reaching out to us .

                      Jack

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 14, 2010
                        Dear Colleen -

                        Thanks for your email.

                        I'll address your chicken nugget comparison in an email tomorrow, as it is
                        late tonight and I am watching the election results come in. It's 1:13 am
                        and I only got 90 minutes of sleep last night, so I am exhausted and I
                        apologize in advance if any of my email is defensive. I am just really
                        tired.

                        As for feeling misled about my statements about the PTA Council Clinical
                        Volunteer Corps, I am sorry you feel misled. Each and every statement I've
                        made about the program is completely accurate (because I am not dependent on
                        a third party validation source like the Manager of the McDonalds). There
                        has been no intentional or unintentional misleading

                        You mention your anonymous source, but I would check your source because
                        they are not stating the facts.

                        I recruited 107 volunteers in less than a week using a survey monkey tool
                        registration form link that was sent out by PTAC to all PTA officers. I was
                        the Chair of the PTA Council Health & Wellness Committee at the time.

                        I developed the security background check form for the HCPSS and personally
                        circulated it to all participants.

                        I worked with Glenn Schneider on ensuring that those medically-licensed
                        personnel were covered under the Medical Tort Liability Act and personally
                        emailed the forms to the participants.

                        I worked with Marc Blom and got the Memorandum of Understanding completed to
                        cover privacy issues between the Health Department and HCPSS.

                        I worked with Maura Rossman (Medical Director of the Health Department) on
                        the role of the Health Department.

                        I had numerous phone calls with Terri Alban (when we ran into some road
                        blocks) to ensure that the guidelines were appropriately developed to allow
                        volunteers from any school to volunteer in schools that were not their
                        "home" school, as well as ensure the appropriate role of non-medically
                        licensed volunteers in their handling of information that was confidential.

                        I spoke on a regular basis with Patti Schwartz from the Health Department
                        who did a wonderful job deploying the volunteers. The volunteers were
                        deployed many times. In fact, at one school, numerous volunteers were
                        deployed. Today at River Hill, I spoke with a nurse who was deployed as part
                        of the effort.

                        I worked with Donna Heller (Director of Health Services, HCPSS) on
                        coordinating their role, however, the Health Department was primarily
                        responsible for their deployment.

                        I worked with many others on the program. To validate what I am saying
                        since there is a presumption that I am "misleading", here's the official
                        language in the report of the School Health Council to the HCPSS, Department
                        of Health, Board of Health and Superintendent, approved by all those serving
                        on the School Health Council from the Health Department and HCPSS (including
                        those individuals listed above), plus Dr. Diana Matuszak, Chair of the
                        School Health Council and former Health Officer of the Howard County:

                        " H1N1 Influenza Prevention

                        During the Fall and Winter, the HCSHC received regular reports from the
                        Howard County Health Department and the HCPSS on informational and
                        immunization activities related to the prevention of H1N1 influenza.
                        Demonstrating the mission of the School Health Council by linking the HCPSS
                        and the Health Department, Brian Meshkin, the School Health Council
                        representative from the Community Advisory Council, initiated and organized
                        a Clinical Volunteers Corps (CVC) of parent volunteers to support the Health
                        Department¹s effort to administer the H1N1 vaccine to children through the
                        HCPSS. Responding to reports in the Howard County Times that it was
                        expected to cost approximately $600,000 in taxpayer funds to operate over
                        103 H1N1 vaccination clinics in Howard County including clinics to be held
                        in the HCPSS, Mr. Meshkin, also as Chair of the PTA Council of Howard
                        County¹s Health & Wellness Committee, initiated discussions with Dr. Maura
                        Rossman, Medical Director of the local Health Department and Donna Heller,
                        Coordinator of Health Services for the HCPSS, to create a framework for
                        volunteers to support the effort in HCPSS. The objective was to recruit
                        medically-licensed professional volunteers to substitute for paid nurses and
                        lay volunteers to help with logistics, particularly in schools where it is
                        more difficult to recruit parent volunteers. Mr. Meshkin worked with Dr.
                        Rossman, and others at the Health Department, to develop the legal framework
                        and process to utilize these volunteers. Mr. Meshkin then worked with Ms.
                        Heller, Dr. Terry Alban, Mr. Mark Blom, and others within the HCPSS to
                        create guidelines for volunteers, forms for security background checks, and
                        an online enrollment form to recruit volunteers. When the link between the
                        Health Department and HCPSS was complete to recruit and utilize these
                        volunteers, Mr. Meshkin sent out an email through the PTA Council of Howard
                        County to all PTA Presidents asking them to distribute the email to their
                        schools. In one week, this Clinical Volunteers Corps recruited over 100
                        volunteers to support this effort and this process allowed for those
                        medically-licensed professionals to then be covered under the Maryland Tort
                        Liability Act, comply with Federal laws around privacy, and administer
                        vaccines in schools where paid contractors would have otherwise been
                        employed. Each medically-licensed volunteer is estimated to have saved $300
                        per clinic and lay volunteers helped keep teachers and staff in their
                        classrooms focused on instruction. In all, 20,936 students of all levels
                        received H1N1 vaccine, 6,251 elementary school students received seasonal
                        influenza vaccine and 933 staff were vaccinated against H1N1 or seasonal
                        influenza, as vaccine supplies allowed. This is an excellent example of how
                        our members carry out the mission of the Council and promote cooperation
                        between the county¹s public health and education systems. This vaccination
                        effort was extremely successful and Howard County was able to vaccinate more
                        children than any other jurisdiction in Maryland, despite a much smaller
                        population."

                        I can only share with you in complete transparency all of the individuals
                        involved, the third party validation of what was accomplished, and give my
                        honest explanation. You can feel free to verify all that I have said and I
                        am sorry that you feel it necessary to do so. It's too bad that there is a
                        presumption that I am misleading you. Nothing could be farther from my
                        intentions or the record.

                        Sincerely,
                        Brian Meshkin
                      • Colleen Dolphin
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 15, 2010
                          Dear Mr. Meshkin,
                          First let me say congratulations to you and to all the candidates that will be moving on to the general election.  I can't imagine how much work has gone in to your campaign or how much work is still left to be done before early voting at the end of October.

                          Thank you for the clarification you have provided on the clinics.  You worked very hard, and in coordination with many people, to help the students receive inoculations.  I asked you about this because the statement attributed to you in the Flier said that you commandeered 100 volunteer nurses in lieu of HCPSS staff to provide inoculations.  It is clear, from your response, that HCPSS staff (obviously many more than I even knew) were very involved in helping this project be successful- which is what some of the nurses told me.  I believe there are two sides to a story which is why I always try to inquire before forming an opinion or making assumptions.  I am going to assume that the person that told me about the deployment (from HCPSS) may have only known about one volunteer b/c, as you stated,  most of the deployment was through the health department.  In the meantime, I will make sure they have the same information I do.

                          As for being 'misled' by some of the statements,  this clinic discussion comes during the discussion of the food issue.  I completely appreciate the research you did into the whole McDonald's hamburger comparison but, it did seem a little odd to me that you did such an indepth search on it after you made the comment on television that McD's had more nutritious hamburgers.  Ms. Klatko said that you haven't spoken to her (and again, I do not know if that is true) but the power point presented to the BOE in June didn't seem to make it to you.  Although, again, I appreciate you correcting the inaccuracies,  I hope that you can understand why I ask, and continue to ask, when I read and receive conflicting information.

                          Truthfully, I have a feeling that neither hamburgers are the healthiest thing on the menu (many hot dogs say they are 100% beef and I wouldn't eat them) but I do feel bad for HCPSS employees (since I am one of them) when they get an undeserving bad rap in the press (whether they be administrators, nurses, food workers...).  As I stated earlier, I know your heart is in the right place- why else would you want such a thankless job, I just hope (as with all the potential BOE candidates) that all sides of an issue are looked at before any conclusions are drawn (I try, not always successfully, to hold myself to that as well).

                          I hope you get a well deserved nights rest.  I look forward to the information you can provide on the chicken nuggets as well as the consistency of meat in our school meals.  It is important to note that when the current BOE became aware of the problems with the breakfast program, they were quick to make changes.  Maybe this blog will continue to increase awareness.

                          Thanks,
                          Colleen

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 15, 2010
                            Recently the meat in either the chicken nuggets or tenders was changed as indicated by the lunch workers . As to hamburger , you may look to see if this is a change as well however it has probably beeen a year and a half or better . It could be as your references are not dated that your references are stating two different situations . There is one thing that I have seen repeatedly with HCPSS and it is more often then not the issue must be forced . The H1N1 issue had to be forced and still our lunch staff were still complaining about the cafetarias not being cleaned to their satisfaction . H1N1 is another example of HCPSS failing to rise to the situation and being lucky that it was not worse . There are drug resistant germs in three states right now coming out of India so at this point the HCPSS should be preparing and making plans for a worse case scenario in the event one would occur . The issue of the roofs being overloaded with snow last year and still we have no plan for a similar event is another example of waiting on a catastrophic event to occur . Be it Reservoir or Craddlerock , time and time again the HCPSS has failed to rise to the challenge until forced and this is the root of this and most discussions involving HCPSS .

                            Back to foods , an issue no one has addressed is the economy , how it effects meal purchases and how low sales are taken out of our lunch workers hides .