comments re: BOE budget FY2011

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010
      this morning, the board of education approved its FY2011 operating budget.  attached are my comments which provide the reasons i voted against that budget.

      allen dyer
      member, howard county board of education

    • The Sola's
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2010

        Thanks Allen for a taking a logical,  and ethical stance.  Raising the teachers costs for health benefits is just wrong! The small pay raise will go to pay the increased health costs.

        The issue of spending 500 k for bussing, ought to be viewed as Board Members not doing due diligence, and carrying out  their fiduciary responsibilities. We need Board members who will bring issues like these to a public arena, allow the citizens to discuss current issues. Instead of stating the obvious “choose civility”, we ought to have a sticker stating “choose transparency.”  Coupled with the comments regarding not wanting to discuss segregation, I would say It most certainly is time for a change of membership on the Board.

        Peter Sola