Re: environmental education in HoCo

  • Rosa
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
      I don't know about your schools but the schools my children attended are already doing this sort of thing, utilizing Patapsco state park and the conservancy center on Route 99
      RIT

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@...> wrote:

      > I was looking over environmental education and there is very little for something so important to the exiatance of life . There is no reason why we shouldn't have classes like this in our schools . We should probably invest in farm land that has sold the building rights and build an environmental education center . Some of our parks are large enough to hold class in as well . Any way Bob has a good point and I suspect may have some valuable insight .
      > Jack
      >
      > 3 Feb 09 BOE
      > Grant Demaree, Student – River Hill HS - Member of the HCPSS Science Advisory Committee
      > • Indicated that additional funding could improve science education in the schools.
      > • Advocated for field-based environmental education.
      >

      > Howard County Conservation Board
      > http://www.iowatelecom.net/~howardccb/Education.html
      >
      > Howard County Tourism
      > http://www.howardcountymd.gov/HCT/HCT_Ecotourism.htm
      >
      > Howard County Commission
      > on the Environmental & Sustainability
      > Final Report
      > August 28, 2007
      > http://www.co.ho.md.us/OES/OESDOCS/Commission_Final_Report.pdf
      >
      > HOWARD COUNTY CONSERVANCY
      > http://www.hcconservancy.org/Green%20Center.php

    • bobrosebrough21045
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
        Anything done at the Conservancy is done by its volunteers while that at the MPEA is funded by Rec and Parks and done by contingent employees who are funded by various and sundry soft moneys. Other counties (AA and Charles County in particular) use education system line item funded positions.