Re: [howardpubliced] H1N1 (swine flu) -- preparedness? absentee rate & school closings

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1 5:20 AM
      Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:17 AM
      Subject: Re: [howardpubliced] H1N1 (swine flu) -- preparedness? opinions & suggestion...

      Hi Allen,
      I have a question for you.  The CDC is no longer suggesting that schools close when there are confirmed case of H1N1 reported on campus.  Do the current guidelines regarding closing schools due to an outbreak apply here? I would hope they do.

      Thanks again for advocating for our children,
      Johnnie

      hi johnnie,

      i asked donna heller, the HCPSS health services coordinator, about when our schools would be closed and, generally, howard county is following the lead of CDC and our absentee rates will be analyzed by the county health department for a recommendation.  the procedure, as described by donna heller:
      Schools must report 10% or more absenteeism and the symptoms occurring to the Health Services Office on the day it occurs. Health Services then reports this information to the Howard County Health Department (HCHD) for evaluation and recommendations.  HCHD is the lead agency for direction for communicable disease
      allen
    • david_thalheimer
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1 11:30 AM
        Even though it sounds like a good plan, the devil is often in the details....

        When my kids are out sick, we don't have to send in a note until they return, so the school doesn't really know why they are absent (what symptoms) until a day or two later (unless we call in).

        So, I suspect that there will be a lag in accurate information unless each school is proactive and contacts the parents to determine why the kids are absent. By the time 10% of the kids are out of school, it may be too late to stop an outbreak.

        We had an outbreak at sleepaway camp this summer and they had to send everyone from the first two-week session home after the first week, since the sickness spread too quickly. After the second session started a week later, they monitored everyone daily and quarantined anyone with a temperature over 100.3 (I think). They didn't have any problem after that.

        - David T