Re: Repetitive paperwork

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2009
      The Office of Fraud , Waste and Abuse as it was omce known , I don't know how that worked out for the Air Force . Seems this is what we need here and I believe the school system lacks the responsibility to oversee it's self but I would bet that an outside agency would save us more then enough money to pay for it and I am sure that a lot of parents would just love to volunteer .

      Jack

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "debra21794" <debra4@...> wrote:

      > I agree with you 100% Ray!
      >
      > I remember getting a template from someone to help me print my info multiple times on the HCPSS cards, but then I couldn't get the cards to go through my printer <sigh>.
      >
      > Geez...do you think a website could do the trick, too? Just plug our info into a secure website and then the school could access this info from the health room, the principals' office, the teacher's lounge...wherever would be a private enough place to view this info. Might save a few trees while we are at it!
      > Debra
      >
      > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Ray Lischner <rl.edu@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Filling out the paperwork for my two elementary-school-age children, I wrote
      > > my home phone number seven times. This may come as a surprise to the office
      > > staff, but it is the same number every time I write it!
      > >
      > > I wrote my email address five times, my wife's email address five times, my
      > > work phone number seven times, etc.
      > >
      > > Amazingly, I wrote my address only once. Somehow those whiz-kids in the office
      > > are able to pre-print my address on a form (four separate copies), but cannot
      > > preprint my phone number, my name, etc.
      > >
      > > Apparently the office does not share information with teachers, because my
      > > son's teacher asked us to fill out a "Student Information Card" that
      > > duplicates the information on other forms.
      > >
      > > Now think back to when you bought a car or house. Sure, there was a lot of
      > > paper, but all the information was already completed, awaiting only your
      > > signature. There is no reason the school system could not do the same.
      > >
      > > Having parents complete emergency contact information only once, and then
      > > letting computers print the multitude of duplicate forms would reduce the
      > > likelihood of error. I think it would be interesting to audit these forms
      > > that are on file. How many forms that should be identical actually are?
      > >
      > > If parents were to complete this information only once, and then take the time
      > > to verify the information is complete and accurate, we could let machines do
      > > the duplication, which is something they are much better at than humans.
      > >
      > > Or maybe I'm just lazy...
      > > --
      > > Ray Lischner

    • david_thalheimer
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
        We can now enter our address, email, and phone numbers online to sign our kids up for their school directory using schooldirectory.com (I think). Of course, that initiative is handled by the relatively poor donation-sponsored PTA, not by the taxpayer-funded county, so of course they have an interest in saving time and money.

        I can do you one better.... I had to fill out an emergency release form that not only asked for my kids name and grade at the top, but also in the middle of the form! When I got to the middle, I just wrote "same as above" even though it took just as much time to write. Maybe they will get the message.

        I'd also be happy to help with getting this all online. However, I read that the county is now testing out a new teacher/student/parent management system that, hopefully, with have this feature built in. I'm not sure how long it will take them to "test" it (a commercial product) and decide what to do, but at least they are working on it.

        - David T

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@...> wrote:

        > The Office of Fraud , Waste and Abuse as it was omce known , I don't know how that worked out for the Air Force . Seems this is what we need here and I believe the school system lacks the responsibility to oversee it's self but I would bet that an outside agency would save us more then enough money to pay for it and I am sure that a lot of parents would just love to volunteer .
        >
        > Jack
        >

        > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "debra21794" <debra4@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I agree with you 100% Ray!
        > >
        > > I remember getting a template from someone to help me print my info multiple times on the HCPSS cards, but then I couldn't get the cards to go through my printer <sigh>.
        > >
        > > Geez...do you think a website could do the trick, too? Just plug our info into a secure website and then the school could access this info from the health room, the principals' office, the teacher's lounge...wherever would be a private enough place to view this info. Might save a few trees while we are at it!
        > > Debra
        > >
        > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Ray Lischner <rl.edu@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Filling out the paperwork for my two elementary-school-age children, I wrote
        > > > my home phone number seven times. This may come as a surprise to the office
        > > > staff, but it is the same number every time I write it!
        > > >
        > > > I wrote my email address five times, my wife's email address five times, my
        > > > work phone number seven times, etc.
        > > >
        > > > Amazingly, I wrote my address only once. Somehow those whiz-kids in the office
        > > > are able to pre-print my address on a form (four separate copies), but cannot
        > > > preprint my phone number, my name, etc.
        > > >
        > > > Apparently the office does not share information with teachers, because my
        > > > son's teacher asked us to fill out a "Student Information Card" that
        > > > duplicates the information on other forms.
        > > >
        > > > Now think back to when you bought a car or house. Sure, there was a lot of
        > > > paper, but all the information was already completed, awaiting only your
        > > > signature. There is no reason the school system could not do the same.
        > > >
        > > > Having parents complete emergency contact information only once, and then
        > > > letting computers print the multitude of duplicate forms would reduce the
        > > > likelihood of error. I think it would be interesting to audit these forms
        > > > that are on file. How many forms that should be identical actually are?
        > > >
        > > > If parents were to complete this information only once, and then take the time
        > > > to verify the information is complete and accurate, we could let machines do
        > > > the duplication, which is something they are much better at than humans.
        > > >
        > > > Or maybe I'm just lazy...
        > > > --
        > > > Ray Lischner

      • david_thalheimer
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2009
          This comes from the minutes of the July 9 BOE meeting:

          Board Receives Update on Aspen Student Information System

          Project Manager Bonnie Woods provided the Board with a status report on the implementation of Aspen, X2 Development Corporation's Web-based student information management system. X2 Aspen will replace the majority of the current HCPSS legacy data systems over the next few academic years. Accessible from any location by any modern computer platform, Aspen will provide consistent and accurate data collection and reporting processes to increase productivity, customer satisfaction, and ease of state-mandated reporting procedures.

          In order to ensure the successful implementation of the new system, Woods explained that the project has been divided into three phases. Phase I includes the consolidation of the HCPSS student record-keeping functionality, including the management and reporting of attendance, conduct, enrollment, student and master scheduling, and grading. Systems replaced in Phase I include Chancery SMS, MacSchool, and Grade Transporter.

          During Phase I, teachers will also test the basic functionality of the Aspen Gradebook, including the recording of classroom and period attendance and posting of interim and final grades. In addition, the Parent Portal module will be tested by a select group of pilot end users. Finally, the Health Services Office will test the X2 Aspen Health module to determine its ability to satisfy the recordkeeping and reporting needs of the school system.

          X2 Aspen will import and export data from the Internet Repository of Online Accountability Data Systems (INROADS) to support academic assessment and intervention initiatives. X2 Aspen and INROADS will serve as the central repositories for all HCPSS student information management systems after the completion of Phase III.

          Phase II involves the migration of student data currently collected and stored in Open District Wizard (ODW), including the Graduation Requirements Checklist, Service Learning Requirements, Summer School enrollment and attendance, ESOL data collection, and Before and After School programs tracking. In Phase II, the full X2 Aspen Gradebook will be implemented, including the Parent Portal, a Web-based public interface that allows parents to access their children's grades, classroom assignments, progress reports, and attendance history.

          Full requirements analysis, testing, and stakeholder feedback are essential to planning and implementing a Parent Portal for HCPSS. The Parent Portal would replace TeacherEase and other similar applications currently used by teachers to communicate student grades and progress reports to parents.

          Woods said that Phase III is reserved for implementing other X2 Aspen features and system enhancements as needed. At this point, the X2 Aspen implementation is proceeding according to plan and within budget.

          ******************
          END of news

          Here is a link to the company web site:
          http://www.x2dev.com/products.html

          I took a quick look, but the following product info is not encouraging (for parents, as it does NOT appear to be designed for self-service entry of info online:

          "For each student, you can view their demographics, contacts, conduct, attendance, enrollment, and schedule."
          "With read-only access to their demographic data, families can alert schools to outdated or incorrect information."
          "With read-only access, teachers can review their personnel records in X2 Aspen for accuracy."

          However, the portal could be customized, should the county choose to do so:

          "X2 Aspen's architecture allows for easy modifications.
          X2 delivers the source code for all of the pages in the system. Using XML, which can be accessed through a Web interface in the product, users have full access to modify reports, interface pages, procedures, import/exports, and navigation."