Re: strip search of middle school students?

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 23, 2009
      Bob , you are bordering on pathetic here , I already provided you with this but here it is from the Howard County Times and they did another article latter on . I originally called the papers to see if they would be interested in the discrimination aspects and the unfairness that was directed at these kids . They had an interest in freshman football and ran the article as you see it and another one with a photo of the Knights making an interception . After Glenelg's tryouts I said something to the HCPSS about what was going on and the freshman program virtually fell apart as the high school coaches did not participate and after a few weeks several of the fathers stepped in and coached the teams . Mr. Whitt who had coached travel baseball did a fantastic job as well as did the other fathers that helped him and I can almost guarantee you that these men would come back and coach again . The HCPSS even went as far as kicking the Knights off the school property and would not let us practice there so we moved to Western Regional .

      New program gives freshmen a chance to play
      by andrew conrad

      Posted 10/25/07
      Football
      After their game Oct. 20 under the lights at Western Regional Park, several members of the ninth-grade Rebels football team found a small playground and began to play on the slides and swings. Like most high school freshmen, who are not too old to be too cool for such things, they'll play when given an opportunity.

      Until this fall, freshman football players in Howard County did not always have the opportunity to play. Either they made the junior varsity team, competing against sophomores who may have been playing for one year or longer, or they sat out.

      "Hopefully, a lot of these kids will make a (high school) team next year. It's just getting a year under their belt, otherwise they wouldn't be doing anything," said Tom Criscuoli, head coach of the Rebels, a team that is made up primarily of Mt. Hebron High School freshmen.

      The Rebels and the Knights, a Glenelg-based team, are part of the Howard County Recreation and Parks program. Because of legal issues, the teams are not allowed to be named after a high school, adopt its mascot or even wear its colors.

      In their first-ever meeting, the Knights prevailed, 22-0. Program coordinator Will Dunmore says that the plan is to expand the conference to four teams next season, so that he would not have to schedule games against teams from outside of Howard County.

      "The toughest part about it was we intended to be an all in-house league with four teams, but we only got the two, so we had to scramble starting in September to try to find opponents, and of course by September teams are already playing and have their schedules, so it was tough to try to find teams. A lot of the teams we found were home school-based programs," he said.

      Dunmore came to Howard County as part of a three-year, $150,000 grant from the National Football League, USA Football and the National Recreation and Park Association with the objective of expanding and improving youth football in Howard County.

      Dunmore, who graduated from Towson in 2002 and has previously worked for Baltimore County Recreation and Parks and the Towson University intramural program, says that the recent growth of youth football programs in Howard County has created a bottleneck at the high school level.

      "Coaches have to decide between keeping 50 or 60 players, or cutting them. Either way it's not that great of an option," he said.

      Larry Luthe, head varsity coach at Mt. Hebron High School, said that over 80 players tried out for the JV team this season.

      "We were struggling to find equipment," he said.

      According to Rebels coach Criscuoli, all of his players except for one who had a schedule conflict tried out for the Mt. Hebron JV team and were cut. In the past, all 31 Rebels would be sitting out instead of playing football.

      "I don't care how good of a coach you are, if you have a five-day tryout, you're going to miss somebody," Luthe said. "If this was an exact science, Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf would still be playing in the NFL."

      Wilde Lake coach Doug DuVall remembers having to cut Jimmy Starnes as an undersized freshman, but convincing him to stay on as a manager. Starnes had a growth spurt, made varsity the next year and went on to play for Princeton University.

      "As a 14-year-old high school freshman, you don't know what kind of growth spurt you're going to have. If you get cut as a freshman, what are the chances you're going to come back as a sophomore?" Dunmore said.

      Most players who are cut as freshmen try another sport or go get a part time job, coaches say.

      "They wouldn't have a place to play, most of them are too big to step down and play on the eighth grade teams again, so they couldn't go back. It would be a void in their football life, if they're to have one, and it's a void in the system," said Fred Whitt, head coach of the Knights.

      With freshmen football, not only will players have an alternative to JV, they'll continue to develop as players so that they'll be better prepared to try out as sophomores.

      Whitt says that none of his players would be playing football right now if not for the Knights.

      While the ninth-grade football program is a step in the right direction, it still has its shortcomings. Since the program is not sanctioned by the Howard County school system, players are not technically playing for their school.

      "It helps if it is officially through the high school because it does make a difference to a kid if they're on the school's team instead of a recreational team," Dunmore said.

      Because of Title IX and budget restrictions, it does not look like freshman football will become an official high school sport any time soon.

      "To put in another football team with buses and officials would be an expensive proposition," County Coordinator of Athletics Mike Williams said.

      Williams also pointed out that Howard County did have freshmen football in the late 1970s, before there was a focus on offering a more diverse athletic program.

      DuVall has been one of the biggest proponents of freshman football, and is still fighting for its implementation in the school system. Still, he is happy to see this program in place.

      "It's our best alternative, but it's not nearly as good as having it in the schools," he said.

      Whitt says that his players feel like they are playing for Glenelg High, even though they are not allowed to wear the school colors.

      "I think they came out tonight and represented their community very well," he said.

      In the end, whether a player is a Viking, a Rebel, a Knight or a Gladiator is not the most important thing, Dunmore said.

      "This is not going to be a one year thing, this is just an inaugural thing," he said. "We just want to get the kids playing."

      E-mail Andrew Conrad at Andrew Conrad@...