State / stimulus funds

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2009
      Borrowed from Parents Coalition of Montgomery
      Jack

      from the Baltimore Sun at
      http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/politics/bal-
      md.stimulus28feb28,0,6686206.story?track=rss

      State launches interactive map of stimulus funds
      Web site shows where $3.7 billion will go
      By Laura Smitherman | laura.smitherman@...
      February 28, 2009

      excerpt:

      Addressing keen taxpayer interest in how federal stimulus dollars
      will be spent, Gov. Martin O'Malley launched a Web site yesterday
      that uses high-tech mapping systems to show where the money will go
      in Maryland.

      The state expects $3.7 billion from the stimulus package signed last
      week by President Barack Obama, including $1.6 billion for health and
      human services, $1.1 billion for education and $610 million for
      transportation projects. The Web site, www.recovery.maryland.gov,
      uses geographic information system technology and allows users to
      enter a home address to see how their communities benefit.

      The program builds on StateStat, a computerized performance
      management system that monitors state agencies to identify where to
      achieve savings and better results, and GreenPrint, a computerized
      map of the state's environmentally valuable lands.

      "I know there's not another state that's where we are with this,"
      O'Malley said, taking an audience through a presentation of the new
      Web site's capabilities on a large screen in the conference room
      where he holds StateStat meetings. "To borrow a line from President
      Obama, we don't do ourselves any favors by hiding what we spend."