Re: MSBE Opinion in Thaviphone v. Howard County Board of Education

  • colleendolphin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      Thanks for sharing that case. I have never seen the test but do know that a lot of work
      went into creating it and trying to make it as objective as possible so that the test could be
      consistently given and scored.
      Many educators supported the change in b-day requirements because the curriculum in
      Kindergarten has drastically changed over the years. Kindergarten is what first grade used
      to be. Whether this is right, or not, the bottom line is that requiring students to be slightly
      more mature to handle it is imperative.
      As an educator, I have heard SOME parents request early entrance b/c sending a child to
      public kindergarten saves the money they have been spending on either pre-school or day
      care. This is not always the case but since the request comes up often, it is important to
      consistently apply requirements that allow early entrance. I am happy that the BOE
      members and the State Board supported the findings and test that was given.
      Of course, there is always the "loop hole" which is: If your child attends an accredited
      Kindergarten program, they can then enter first grade in public school.
      Colleen

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, cynthia vaillancourt <CynthiaVaillancourt@...>
      wrote:

      > Interesting case. I agree there has to be some "non-subjective/uniform" cut-off in
      order to avoid unfair situations ... but only if we can't trust the people charged with
      making these kinds of decisions with being fair and objective. Apparently we can't - so we
      don't.... or is we the other way around?

      > I am also intrigued by the "mis-scored" portion of the assessment. If the test giver
      erred there, maybe there were other errors which resulted in the three point deficeit.

      > I had a situation once where we had private testing done prior to the school doing their
      own testing - the school's tests showed my child did not qualify for services. When we
      pulled out the private testing (which was significantly different) it was hard for the
      school's tester to explain her results. We learned later that if we had done the process the
      other way around ... sought outside testing after being denied at school, there would have
      been a different outcome as the school would have made the case that we were shopping
      for experts. As it was, we had unintentionally done ourselves a favor. We were also given
      to believe that the likely reason for the discrepancy was the pressure on the tester to
      produce results consistent with the school system's undisclosed agenda ... in this case to
      limit access to services. This was NOT in Howard County.

      > I don't know whether there were excess entering kindergartners this year, and have no
      reason to suspect the testing was anything but conscientious (the error in the scoring
      notwithstanding). However, I have to chuckle at the reasoning that the application of the
      results are completely objective when the testing itself is not.

      > cindy v
      >

      > To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
      > From: aldyer@...
      > Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 18:32:35 -0500