RE: [howardpubliced] Re: Teaching vs. I don't understand

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
      Is it HCPSS who has made these comments or the "leaders" of the GHS PTSA?

      cv

      To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
      From: pamythompson@...
      Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:07:40 +0000
      Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: Teaching vs. I don't understand

      ---I am starting to realize that I am perceived as being provocative
      however HCPSS would probably rather I be labeled as "NUT" as they
      already consider my actions to be and I quote " warrantless ,
      baseless attacks on Glenelg" .
      Jack

      I am attempting to rephrase a question I have so that it will comply
      with the rules of the Glenelg listserve .

      Since the PTSA has teachers and administrators who are employees of
      the HCPSS as members I would like to know what percentage of children
      have an "A" ,"B" ,"C" , "D" or "E" in each class at Glenelg . I do
      not want to know the names of children as this is a private matter
      but rather want to know the percentages of each grade in each class
      so that we as parents may evaluate the quality of our high school . I
      know that the administration feels that this would be a reflection of
      their teachers and therefore subject them to grading so may I suggest
      that the teachers name be left out as well and only the subject ie;
      geometry , biology etc be used to identify the class .

      If this does not comply with your rules mould you please explain .

      J. E. Thompson

      In howardpubliced@ yahoogroups. com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@ ...>
      wrote:

      > ---I am afraid I am going to fail this lesson and will be at
      Glenelg
> [...]
      > >
      > > > information that you are requesting can not be furnished by our
      > >
      > > > members for they are not employees of Glenelg High School. As
      > such,
      > >
      > > > your posting can only viewed as a provocation of our
      memberships
      > and
      > >
      > > > a non-productive means of communication. If you are seeking
      this

      > > > information for personal reason or for research for a project
      in

      > > > which you are working, then a more appropriate way to collect
      > your
      > >
      > > > data would be to contact the school directly. If you wish to
      > have
      > >
      > > > your posting approved for distribution, please consider
      revising
      > your
      > >
      > > > statement in a way that meets our stated guidelines. Once
      > revised
      > >
      > > > we will be happy to post your email. If you need further
      > >
      > > > clarification of our policies or would like to discuss this
      issue

      > > > further, please contact me at 410-489-2548 or by email at
      > >
      > > > jnussb9427@ While we encourage free and open communication,
      > >
      > > > this eGroup is viewed by both adults and minors, any use of
      > >
      > > > profanity, inappropriate or suggestive language, aggressive
      > and/or
      > >
      > > > antagonistic language, or attacks upon a member's character
      will
      > be
      > >
      > > > result in your removal from the group. For the protection of
      all
      > our
      > >
      > > > members, all posting must be signed by the sender. Anonymous
      > >
      > > > postings are prohibited and will result in removal from the
      > group.
      > >
      > > > Further misuse of the site will result in a ban on membership.
      > >
      > > > From: "pamythompson" <pamythompson@ >
      > >
      > > > Date: Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:45 am
      > >
      > > > Subject: Re: Geometry Tutor? --- I would like to know what
      > percentage
      > >
      > > > of students at Glenelg need
      > >
      > > > help in math and being January , already half way through the
      year

      > > > why more is not done sooner .
      > >

      > > > J.E.Thompson

      > subject.
      > >
      > > > If you would

      > > > Can anyone recommend a Geometry tutor? Thanks in advance!
      > >

      > > > In howardpubliced@ yahoogroups. com, "pamythompson"
      > <pamythompson@ >

      > someone

      > that

      > issue
      > >
      > > > is

      > child

      > something

      > need
      > >
      > > > help

      > why

      > > > subject.

      > > Windows LiveTM: Keep your life in sync.
      > > http://windowslive. com/explore?
      > ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ WL_t1_allup_ explore_012009

      Windows LiveTM Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail. Check it out.
    • joan_pontius
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
        but what would that show??
        some teachers inflate grades, while.. back
        when i was in school, there was a bellcurve and
        a certain number of students were required to
        get poor grades, with a similar fraction getting
        excellent grades, and the majority in the middle.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
          --- " warrantless ,
          baseless attacks on Glenelg" .
          From a leter I recieved from an administrator
> [...]

          > > be

          > all
          >
          > > our

          > > group.

          > > percentage

          > year

          > > subject.

          > > <pamythompson@>

          > > someone

          > be

          > good
          >
          > > that

          > that

          > > issue

          > > child

          > > something

          > way

          > > need

          > > why

          > > > Windows LiveTM: Keep your life in sync.
          >
          > > > http://windowslive.com/explore?
          >
          > > ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_012009

          > Windows LiveTM Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
          ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
            ---You are exactly right , inflated grades , bell curves , and even
            grades given both higher and lower by some teachers based not on a
            students performance but the teachers preference .

            The point is that I am a builder and this is a house in need of
            restoration so we need to start peeling back the layers of decay so
            pick a room and get started .
            Jack

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
              ---This is the kind of input we need from every parent in the system
              and this is the way to build a quality school system
              Jack

              In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, amdarr53@... wrote:

              > We are never going to produce enough mathematicians or scientists
              if public school systems fail to provide tutoring to students who
              need it.? These students range from those who struggle with the
              basics to students who want to take advanced classes.? My daughter's
              GT Physics class was told by the teacher that his time after school
              was his own and he was not available to help them.? There are also
              many teachers who do help their students after school.? My point is
              that after school tutoring should be a scheduled activity and
              available to all as a matter of course.? I understand that there are
              funding issues, etc. We are headed towards a workforce crisis if we
              don't step up our production of scientists.? We also need a well-
              educated general public who understands basic science and math.

              > More students would rise to the challenge of higher level classes
              if they knew that support was in place to help them learn and achieve
              at a level that resulted in a good grade and didn't endanger their
              GPA.? Parents might also nudge their kids a little harder to take the
              higher level classes.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
                ---My post was excepted at Glenelgs Listserve and here are some of
                the emails I received
                Jack

                This may save you the trouble. Newsweek lists Glenelg HS among the
                top 5% of public schools in the country. We're ranked 965 to be
                exact. Here is the link. http://www.newsweek.com/highschools/?
                q=2008/rank/901/

                Furthmore, Education Week just announced that Maryland's schools
                rank first in the nation in an analysis of factors such as high
                school graduation rates, student achievement, academic standards and
                accountability. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/education/k12/bal-
                md.ranking07jan07,0,7641484.story

                Validation by independent sources that our children attend a top
                school should is sufficient.

                Steve Hayleck

                --- In glenelghighschool@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson"

                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
                  --- Another email I recieved
                  Jack

                  I would be interested in this information as well. For if a greater
                  percentage of a class is doing poorly compared to other classes in
                  the same subject/grade level, it would be an injustice to the
                  students in that particular class.

                  I would hope the administration would be just as concerned and want
                  to investigate causes and solutions to help all succeed, possibly
                  looking into strategies another teacher in a more successful class
                  may be implementing that could benefit all.

                  Julie Brookman

                  Freshman parent

                  wrote:

                  > ---My post was excepted at Glenelgs Listserve and here are some of
                  > the emails I received
                  > Jack
                  >
                  > This may save you the trouble. Newsweek lists Glenelg HS among the
                  > top 5% of public schools in the country. We're ranked 965 to be
                  > exact. Here is the link. http://www.newsweek.com/highschools/?
                  > q=2008/rank/901/
                  >
                  > Furthmore, Education Week just announced that Maryland's schools
                  > rank first in the nation in an analysis of factors such as high
                  > school graduation rates, student achievement, academic standards
                  and
                  > accountability. http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/education/k12/bal-
                  > md.ranking07jan07,0,7641484.story
                  >
                  > Validation by independent sources that our children attend a top
                  > school should is sufficient.
                  >
                  > Steve Hayleck
                  >

                  > --- In glenelghighschool@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson"
                  > <pamythompson@> wrote:
                  > > we as parents may evaluate the quality of our high school .
                  >
                  > > J. E. Thompson
                  >

                  > In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson" <pamythompson@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ---You are exactly right , inflated grades , bell curves , and
                  even
                  > > grades given both higher and lower by some teachers based not on
                  > > students performance but the teachers preference .
                  > >
                  > > The point is that I am a builder and this is a house in need of
                  > > restoration so we need to start peeling back the layers of decay
                  so
                  > > pick a room and get started .
                  > > Jack
                  > >
                  > > In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "joan_pontius"
                  <joan_pontius@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > but what would that show??
                  > > > some teachers inflate grades, while.. back
                  > > > when i was in school, there was a bellcurve and
                  > > > a certain number of students were required to
                  > > > get poor grades, with a similar fraction getting
                  > > > excellent grades, and the majority in the middle.
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson"

                  > > comply

                  > employees
                  > > of
                  > > children
                  > > do
                  > > matter
                  > > class
                  > > school . I
                  > > reflection of
                  > > suggest
                  > > ie;

                  > explain .

                • joanpontius
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
                    oh, i get it now.
                    I misunderstood.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 7, 2009
                      ---Below is an email I received today relevant to my posts on
                      Glenelg's Listserve and it is also relevant to how I came to this
                      group . I am going to answer this email here publicly . My posts at
                      Glenelg where meant to generate a discussion about the problems there
                      and within the HCPSS in an effort to bring about positive change . It
                      had become clear to me that the only way to foster change within the
                      system in a timely manner was to generate a discussion into the short
                      comings of this system and to both raise awareness and to bring other
                      parents concerns to light . I am both honest and forthright in this
                      pursuit however what you perceive as blanket statements are in fact
                      deeply rooted in truth and personal experiences however out of
                      respect for the privacy of individuals involved I have worded my
                      posts so as not to name the many children , including my own who I
                      have personally witnessed on the receiving end of what HCPSS so
                      politely calls "inappropriate behavior" . I also nave left out the
                      names of the staff members involved because of the right to privacy
                      they both enjoy as well as cower behind . I also removed your name
                      from this post and simply left the signature GHS Parent . My point
                      that math is a weak point is based on my personal observations over
                      the years of my 8 children as well as their many friends . I would
                      also agree with a statement made by one of the PTSA members in the
                      Nov. meeting that we are lacking in both higher math and science .
                      Search U.S. schools failing or Maryland schools failing , research
                      the diference between affluent and impoverished communities . Our
                      schools used to teach to the type of tests you site and a 97% passing
                      rate does not tell you the percentage of children that repeatedly had
                      to retake the test so the county could boast these scores . As to
                      tutoring , last year we repeatedly asked the school for help
                      beginning in September for one of our children and it was not offered
                      until late February . There are a lot of children seeking help for
                      many reasons , some get help and some languish sentenced to failure .
                      Stop by any library and you will find teachers who have set up shop
                      offering their services as tutors for up to $60 per hour . This is an
                      affluent neighborhood , secondly their services are in high demand .
                      a perfect scenario for any repairman . Did I say repairman . Yes ,
                      because these services would not be necasary if the school system
                      performed their job properly . The impoverished neighbor hoods ,
                      their children can not afford this quality of education and their
                      parents can only hope the system works .The concept of personal
                      responsibility is the first thing that comes to my mind and that is
                      where I have always began . I have also taken it to be my personal
                      responsibility to say something when I see other children being
                      mistreated or abused . I pass this personal responsibility on to my
                      own children . Ask one of my sons how many times they have stepped in
                      and stopped someone from beating up one of the special needs kids at
                      Glenelg and you will be appalled .The concept of personal
                      responsibility is something I have found the HCPSS to be lacking in
                      and probably the most prevalent factor in my speaking out . Because
                      of the issues That I have brought to the attention of HCPSS I have
                      been repeatedly warned , sternly advised both verbally as well as in
                      writing that my actions will be closely monitored and scrutinized and
                      that I could be sued for my statements albeit my statements are
                      true . I have made it a point when discussing the HCPSS to speak
                      publicly and any communications I have with them are in writing or
                      witnessed . In short I have chosen to be proactive , not silenced and
                      I will continue to pursue better quality education through open and
                      transparent debate . In truth we both have the same goal and although
                      our methods differ whereas you work within the system exploiting the
                      positive aspects , I am more apt to take issue with what I find wrong
                      in the system . Either way the system amd the status quo must and
                      will improve .

                      Sincerely ,
                      J. E. Thompson

                      Mr. Thompson, To make a blanket request for information the way you
                      did isn't thought provoking, it's antagonistic. It is similar to the
                      other post that you have made on the GHS listserv. You make a
                      blanket statements, don't back them up and expect it to be taken as
                      the gospel. Case in point is your assertion that math is a weak
                      point at Glenelg. Where did you come up with that? Nothing in the
                      school's academic record supports what you say. In fact the school
                      scores are within the top 7% of state, it's rank 2nd in the county
                      and has a 97% passage rate on the HSA. Our school has been listed as
                      one of the top 900 schools in the country, that's pretty impressive
                      considering how many high schools there are in the US. So why do you
                      keep insisting that they are not doing their job to educate the
                      kids? How can you say that a school or a school system for that
                      matter, who is consistently ranks in the top 10% of the countries
                      school system be failing to education their population? If you are
                      referring to the email asking for a tutor in geometry as a basis for
                      your assertion that math is weak at Glenelg, then you really need to
                      review your perspectives. Even the brightest kids need help
                      sometimes. I wonder if you've every considered concept of personal
                      responsibility, obviously the family looking for a tutor has, they
                      choose to be proactive in their learning experience. They didn't
                      blame the school, their kid or the system for the need for additional
                      help, they just got it. Your naive to think that school system can
                      be everything to everyone at all times. It just doesn't work that
                      way and neither does life. There will always be kids who need tutors
                      no matter how good their teachers are and there will also be times
                      when you don't get the resolution you want and feel frustrated. Deal
                      with it, it happens, it's part of life and part of learning. As a
                      parent of a child with a disability, one who has battled my way
                      through the system, I get it. I don't blame the system for needing to
                      get extra help for my child. In fact, I saw it as my responsibility.
                      That's something to pass along as a life lesson to your kids. Take
                      personal responsibility for your actions, education and life. Don't
                      blame everyone else for your short comings, seek to over come
                      them. GHS PARENT In a message dated 1/7/2009 12:09:50 P.M.
                      Eastern Standard Time, pamythompson@... writes:
                      I did not realize that it was provocative but I do know that math is
                      a weak point at Glenelg and adequate help is slow in coming , any
                      student needing help this time of year is going to have a hard time
                      catching up . It may not be within the scope of the PTSA to deal with
                      any matter like this but it certainly is a place to discuss openly
                      our children's education system J. E. Thompson

                      wrote:

> [...]
                      > >
                      > > > percentage

                      > > year

                      > > > subject.

                      > > > <pamythompson@>

                      > > > someone

                      > > be

                      > > good
                      > >
                      > > > that

                      > > that

                      > take
                      > >
                      > > > issue

                      > > > child

                      > > > something

                      > > way

                      Glenelg

                      > > > need

                      > year
                      > >
                      > > > why

                      > > > ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_explore_012009

                      > > Windows LiveTM Hotmail®: Chat. Store. Share. Do more with mail.
                      > > http://windowslive.com/explore?
                      > ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_hm_justgotbetter_explore_012009

                    • colleendolphin
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 8, 2009
                        In regard to sensored posts, would you like to hear something "funny." HCPSS has a forum
                        for staff and it used to be called FYI. FYI started as a "For your information" between staff
                        but kind of turned into a place where people buy and sell things. Well, after doing a power
                        point presentation about some CO salaries compared to others in the system, I put it on
                        FYI to be posted. My post was not allowed to be posted and there was no "reason" given
                        to me. I wrote and explained that there was no existing rules that didn't allow me to post
                        this information (b/c it really was FYI). Still, it went unposted. The rule for FYI is that a
                        post has a "life" of 14 days. After 11 days of not being posted, I set up a meeting with the
                        Superintendent. Although he said he didn't care what I did with my data, his staff clearly
                        did because it was never posted and FYI has been re-named to Marketplace with new
                        rules that wouldn't allow my FYI posting. I guess I could still post it and sell it for a
                        penny.....
                        Colleen

                      • joanpontius
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 8, 2009
                          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "colleendolphin"
                          <colleendolphin@...> wrote:

                          > In regard to sensored posts, would you like to hear something "funny."

                          This is funny haha instead of funny funny.
                          Someone sent me this while I was at work, and I was
                          redirected to a NIH website telling me it was flagged
                          for inappropriate content, so I was not allowed to access
                          it from work.
                          (it is a dog playing in the snow)

                          http://www.maniacworld.com/dog-having-a-blast-in-the-snow.html
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 8, 2009
                            --- Salaries try this place glassdoor.com
                            Jack

                            <colleendolphin@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > screened to see if it is appropriate . I think that it is good
                            that
                            > > > the guidance office offers help as soon as they are aware that
                            > > > child needs it and I have no complaints there . Where I take
                            issue
                            > > is
                            > > > that I have seen this before and it would be like teaching a
                            child
                            > > > swim by leaving him adrift in the ocean alone . There is
                            something
                            > > > seriously wrong with the system when our children are half way
                            > > > through the year and have to ask for help .
                            > > >
                            > > > Jack
                            > > >
                            > > > Following from the Glenelg Listserv;
                            > > >

                            > > > I would like to know what percentage of students at Glenelg
                            need
                            > > help
                            > > > in math and being January , already half way through the year

                          • Kristine
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 11, 2009
                              I don't know any of the players in this situation. But here are my
                              thoughts...

                              >>>Mr. Thompson, To make a blanket request for information the way
                              you
                              did isn't thought provoking, it's antagonistic. >>>

                              Is it antagonistic to call someone antagonistic?

                              >>>Your naive to think that school system can
                              be everything to everyone at all times. >>>

                              Is it antagonistic to call someone naïve?

                              >>>Don't blame everyone else for your short comings, seek to over
                              come
                              them. >>>

                              Is it antagonistic to imply that one shortcomings and should try to
                              overcome them?