1000 new teachers

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
      Each of our high schools is fed by several middle schools which are in
      turn fed by several elementary and I want to improve the quality of
      education in our high schools by putting approximately 1000 teachers in
      each of our high schools group of feeder schools for free .

      I propose that if a child sits in our schools for a dozen years that
      they are then qualified to help teach in middle and elementary school
      and that if they are not then we have failed to educate them . I
      propose that a child will best learn from an older children and that
      the older children by going back will learn more by better
      understanding where he or she came from , a learn - learn situation . I
      propose that for one quarter in high school our children get back on
      the same bus that took them to elementary or middle school and become a
      student teacher . I think this would not only help the younger students
      in math , reading , history , music and many other areas but be a
      fantastic learning experience for the older children as well .

      Thoughts Please

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
        -I need to clarify my numbers 12 high schools gives you about 12000
        or 3000 per year but the reality is that if a high school has 1000
        students then approximately 250 would be eligible for this program
        per year or approximately 60 to 70 students per quarter which split
        between the feeder schools is a very doable and manageable number .-
        Jack

        - In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "pamythompson"
        <pamythompson@...> wrote:

        > Each of our high schools is fed by several middle schools which are
        in
        > turn fed by several elementary and I want to improve the quality of
        > education in our high schools by putting approximately 1000
        teachers in
        > each of our high schools group of feeder schools for free .
        >
        > I propose that if a child sits in our schools for a dozen years
        that
        > they are then qualified to help teach in middle and elementary
        school
        > and that if they are not then we have failed to educate them . I
        > propose that a child will best learn from an older children and
        that
        > the older children by going back will learn more by better
        > understanding where he or she came from , a learn - learn
        situation . I
        > propose that for one quarter in high school our children get back
        on
        > the same bus that took them to elementary or middle school and
        become a
        > student teacher . I think this would not only help the younger
        students
        > in math , reading , history , music and many other areas but be a
        > fantastic learning experience for the older children as well .
        >
        > Thoughts Please
        >
        > Jack

      • Sue and Don
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
          The main problem with the proposal is that you first have to get Howard County to become intelligent enough to have a feeder school system.

          A number of us have advocated for this for years and the "powers that be" do not deem it at all important.

          Sue Medicus

          <pamythompson@ ...> wrote:

          > Each of our high schools is fed by several middle schools which are
          in
          > turn fed by several elementary and I want to improve the quality of
          > education in our high schools by putting approximately 1000
          teachers in
          > each of our high schools group of feeder schools for free .
          >
          > I propose that if a child sits in our schools for a dozen years
          that
          > they are then qualified to help teach in middle and elementary
          school
          > and that if they are not then we have failed to educate them . I
          > propose that a child will best learn from an older children and
          that
          > the older children by going back will learn more by better
          > understanding where he or she came from , a learn - learn
          situation . I
          > propose that for one quarter in high school our children get back
          on
          > the same bus that took them to elementary or middle school and
          become a
          > student teacher . I think this would not only help the younger
          students
          > in math , reading , history , music and many other areas but be a
          > fantastic learning experience for the older children as well .
          >
          > Thoughts Please
          >
          > Jack

        • joanpontius
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
            1. I don't see the connection with the feeder system.

            2. How did you decide that being in HoCo for
            12 years qualifies a student to be a student teacher ??
            Are you proposing if a student is a recent newcomer
            to HoCo, they would be excluded from participation?

            3. Why would children not be paid for doing the same work as a student
            teacher. Would this not violate child labor laws?

            4. Maybe we can get free janitorial service and grounds
            maintenance out the children too.

          • RSYOSH@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
              How about working it into the 75 hours of required community service?

              - Becky Yoshitani

            • The Sola's
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
                One could use the organization Future Educators of America as a starting place to organize HS students to perform their "community service" by teaching younger children. There are lots of examples in Educational History demonstrating how it works. It is possible to ask students to volunteer in schools without any issue of child labor laws etc.  Below is a link to one of thousands of web locations. Several are linked to states that sponsor FEA.
                Peter Sola

                With more than 1200 chapters worldwide, FEA exists across the United States, ... FEA offers teachers a chance to shape our nation's future by shaping the ...
                www.pdkintl.org/fea/feahome.htm - 31k

                Reach to Teach | Future Educators of America
                The Future Educators of America Clubs are active in many schools in Ohio. We have an annual state Convention and send our state officers to the National ...
                www.mwg.org/reachtoteach/fea/

                <pamythompson@ ...> wrote:

                > Each of our high schools is fed by several middle schools which are in
                > turn fed by several elementary and I want to improve the quality of
                > education in our high schools by putting approximately 1000 teachers in
                > each of our high schools group of feeder schools for free .
                >
                > I propose that if a child sits in our schools for a dozen years that
                > they are then qualified to help teach in middle and elementary school
                > and that if they are not then we have failed to educate them . I
                > propose that a child will best learn from an older children and that
                > the older children by going back will learn more by better
                > understanding where he or she came from , a learn - learn situation . I
                > propose that for one quarter in high school our children get back on
                > the same bus that took them to elementary or middle school and become a
                > student teacher . I think this would not only help the younger students
                > in math , reading , history , music and many other areas but be a
                > fantastic learning experience for the older children as well .
                >
                > Thoughts Please
                >
                > Jack

              • joanpontius
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
                  But why do you want to restrict eligibility
                  to students who:
                  -have been in HoCo for 12 years
                  -are attending a feeder system
                  -are teaching younger students.

                  Why can't they teach older or same aged students.
                  Why not allow them to tutor anyone.
                  and why exclude newcomers to HoCo or students
                  who have changed schools within HoCo.

                  --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "The Sola's" <pmbsola@...> wrote:

                  > One could use the organization Future Educators of America as a
                  starting place to organize HS students to perform their "community
                  service" by teaching younger children. There are lots of examples in
                  Educational History demonstrating how it works. It is possible to ask
                  students to volunteer in schools without any issue of child labor laws
                  etc. Below is a link to one of thousands of web locations. Several
                  are linked to states that sponsor FEA.
                  > Peter Sola
                  >
                  > PDK International PDK International | Future Educators Association
                  > With more than 1200 chapters worldwide, FEA exists across the United
                  States, ... FEA offers teachers a chance to shape our nation's future
                  by shaping the ...
                  > www.pdkintl.org/fea/feahome.htm - 31k
                  >
                  > Reach to Teach | Future Educators of America
                  > The Future Educators of America Clubs are active in many schools in
                  Ohio. We have an annual state Convention and send our state officers
                  to the National ...
                  > www.mwg.org/reachtoteach/fea/

                • Debra Radcliffe-Borsch
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Waaaay back when I was a student at Glenelg HS, I was a member of the
                    Future Teachers of America (FTA) and part of the services offered were
                    to provide tutoring services to younger children. In fact, because of
                    my HS extra-curricular activities, I was selected to provide tutoring
                    services to groups of elementary school students at my college. For
                    me, the greatest benefit of this program was to realize that teaching
                    a group of students is simply not an area where I excel, but I am
                    pretty darn good at one-to-one instruction.

                    Career exploration is what the activity is probably called now. It
                    was an excellent experience for me and I hope that students in HoCo
                    Schools can have the same exposure to different careers.
                    Thanks,
                    Debra Radcliffe-Borsch

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
                      --I think that it would be a good idea for the community service
                      requirement as well as a credited class . I would not restrict it so
                      newcomers could not participate but I would try to develop it into a
                      model for use throughout the state . To me participation would be
                      more for seniors however I would not limit it to just seniors .
                      Child labor ... right now a lot of kids have early dismissal and
                      work release and a lot have most of their required credits by the
                      senior year . Quite a few kids work as student aides , grading papers
                      and answering phones .This is not what I envision . I don't view this
                      program as work but as a learning tool . not so much that they become
                      teachers but that they one day will have their own children and then
                      they will be the teachers . I agree that one on one tutoring would be
                      more appropriate and the tutored child will remember their mentor
                      forever . I see this as a way to beter educate all of our children .
                      Now one thing that I firmly believe is that if a child sits somewhere
                      for 13 years they should be able to perform as a teacher or we as
                      parents have squandered their time

                      Jack

                      - In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Radcliffe-Borsch"

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 1, 2008
                        -Sue , what have you been advocating for ?

                        -- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Sue and Don" <berryfolks@...>
                        wrote:

                        > The main problem with the proposal is that you first have to get
                        Howard County to become intelligent enough to have a feeder school
                        system.

                        > A number of us have advocated for this for years and the "powers
                        that be" do not deem it at all important.

                        > Sue Medicus

                      • Sue and Don
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 2, 2008
                          I have said for years that feeder schools are critical.  The Board of Ed has determined that consistently re-districting students and NOT being concerned about a feeder system is more important.

                          So, I gave up ages ago.  I have advocated a number of positions to the Board for years that they have ignored (Feeder Schools, Graduation at High Schools versus the insane decision to consistently jam students with two hours of each other to graduate at Merriweather, having Proms stay in the county rather than having students drive long distances, etc., etc. etc)

                          At some point, you just feel it's pointless to continue because no one cares.

                          Sue Medicus

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 2, 2008
                            Two things to consider if you feel like you have an ultimately workable feeder concept.

                            1) during the "dark years" the superintendent was secretly trying to develop a boundry-less system where "no one could assume attendance to a specific school based on their address or proximity to a school".  We are still recovering from some aspects of this legacy - including extreme sensitivity and skepticism of any redistricting plan.

                            2) if a long term plan that "insured" relative permanent stability were on the table ---- placating families who would be unwilling to disrupt their own children's school lives would be possible by "grandfathering" kids into their current placements.  I think what you'd find is that would represent a smaller number of kids than we might think since most families are more concerned about separating them from their friends than moving them to a different (but equally good) school.

                            If you have your proposal in a form which can be emailed --- please post the particulars.
                            Several variations have floated around over the years.   I think the political will may be available at this time.... especially if we can reduce our transportation costs ultimately.

                            Cindy V

                            To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
                            From: rl.edu@...
                            Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:51:53 -0500
                            Subject: Re: [howardpubliced] Re: 1000 new teachers

                            On Tuesday 02 December 2008 06:32 am, Sue and Don wrote:

                            > I have said for years that feeder schools are critical. The Board of
                            > Ed has determined that consistently re-districting students and NOT
                            > being concerned about a feeder system is more important.

                            When I served on an Area Advisory Committee, I spoke with David Drown,
                            who was in charge at the time about this topic. He told me that he had
                            devised a plan that would implement feeder schools, but it required
                            building several extra schools, and redistricting thousands of
                            students. It wasn't feasible, economically or politically.

                            As an intellectual exercise, I devised my own plan. My goal was not to
                            fully implement feeder schools, but to bring some rationality to the
                            districts, so students would attend the schools nearest their homes.

                            My plan called for closing one school, and redistricting about four
                            thousand students, including hundreds who had faced redistricting just
                            a year previously. In order to implement feeder schools, the changes
                            would have been much greater.

                            I'm certain that the public would not have accepted my plan. The
                            neighbors of Veterans E.S. would have liked it because it would have
                            meant their children could attend their neighborhood school. But
                            thousands of other parents would not like it at all.

                            I'm pretty sure that most parents aren't interested in solving all of
                            HCPSS's problems. They just want what is best for their children at the
                            time. That usually means avoiding redistricting- -letting their children
                            complete their years at the same school where they started.
                            --
                            Ray Lischner

                            Suspicious message? There’s an alert for that. Get your Hotmail® account now.
                          • joan_pontius
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 3, 2008
                              Redistricting could be avoided without the feeder system,
                              by allowing parents to choose what school best fits
                              the needs of their child.

                              --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, cynthia vaillancourt

                              http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_broad2_122008

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 3, 2008
                                This sounds great in theory.  We actually have choice - in theory.  Open enrollment is possible - as long as the "accepting school" is not at full enrollment.
                                Even if we open the whole system to a sort of "free for all" open enrollment, sort it out later kind of plan --- the problems start multiplying when decisions have to be made for limited seats in "popular" schools.

                                Even in systems with "magnate programs", experience tells me it is crucial to have a basic structure that is both stable and based on residence.  People have to be able to count on some stability when it comes to their children and their homes.

                                cindy v

                                To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
                                From: rl.edu@...
                                Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:01:00 -0500

                                On Wednesday 03 December 2008 10:09 am, joan_pontius wrote:

                                > Redistricting could be avoided without the feeder system,
                                > by allowing parents to choose what school best fits
                                > the needs of their child.

                                I agree completely. Let us decide.
                                --
                                Ray Lischner

                                You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. Learn more about Windows Live
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 3, 2008
                                  -"What best fits the needs of a child" This is a right and
                                  responsibility of every parent and we need to question what right the
                                  system has to ask us to relinquish that in silence , to accept that
                                  the school system is somehow going to love , nurture and mold our
                                  children for us without our constant oversight and input is
                                  ludicrous.
                                  Jack

                                  -- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "joan_pontius"

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 3, 2008
                                    -Every morning you watch parents pour into private schools with their
                                    children and for many reasons but they are steadily abandoning the
                                    American public school system because it is failing .
                                    What are these private schools doing right that we can do
                                    publicly ? And then , the question comes to my mind . what all are we
                                    doing wrong ? Imagine a child failing , not just a day but an entire
                                    year , imagine the indignity and hopelessness this child feels and it
                                    is our fault that we allow it . This is no longer an education
                                    system . it is a warehouse , a prison system and if we look there we
                                    will see the similarities and the answers to what is wrong .

                                    -- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, cynthia vaillancourt
                                    <CynthiaVaillancourt@...> wrote:

                                    > This sounds great in theory. We actually have choice - in theory.
                                    Open enrollment is possible - as long as the "accepting school" is
                                    not at full enrollment.
                                    > Even if we open the whole system to a sort of "free for all" open
                                    enrollment, sort it out later kind of plan --- the problems start
                                    multiplying when decisions have to be made for limited seats
                                    in "popular" schools.

                                    > Even in systems with "magnate programs", experience tells me it is
                                    crucial to have a basic structure that is both stable and based on
                                    residence. People have to be able to count on some stability when it
                                    comes to their children and their homes.

                                    > cindy v
                                    >

                                    > To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
                                    > From: rl.edu@...
                                    > Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:01:00 -0500
                                    > Subject: Re: [howardpubliced] Re: 1000 new teachers

                                    > On Wednesday 03 December 2008 10:09 am, joan_pontius
                                    wrote:

                                    > > Redistricting could be avoided without the feeder system,
                                    >
                                    > > by allowing parents to choose what school best fits
                                    >
                                    > > the needs of their child.
                                    >

                                    > I agree completely. Let us decide.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    >
                                    > Ray Lischner

                                    > You live life online. So we put Windows on the web.

                                  • Deborah Sell
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 4, 2008
                                      For many parents and children, private schools are not an option, since private schools can cherry-pick which students they choose to admit.

                                      As a mother with a learning-disabled child, I can tell you that is extradordinarily difficult to find an approriate placement for your child.    The meaning and intent of IDEA which purports to provide a free and appropriate education for all students regardless of their intellectual and physical abilities is great in theory but often gets lost in its implementation.
                                      It often pits parents against local school authorities as the parents have to prove that the school placement is inappropriate and is not working.

                                      The costs to local school systems when they fail to educate our children in an appropriate manner leads to tuition being paid to out of county placements and legal costs of the parents.    The expense of failure surpasses the costs of doing the right thing for our kids in their home schools.

                                      Deborah Sell, whose daughter is in a non-public placement at the Harbour School of Annapolis.