Re: Allen's answers to Nanette's "BOE questions for Allen and Diane"

  • nanette_schweitzer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
      After reading the posts, it was inappropriate of me to ask Allen and
      Diane questions using the list serve. Those who are employed/are on
      the Board/ have families do not have the luxury to visit at least 10
      list serves (there may be more ) and answer questions. That is why
      we have BOE forums. Has anyone other than the candidates been to a
      BOE forum or planning to attend a forum?

      Attending BOE forums has given me invaluable knowledge of the school
      system and the candidates. I can tell you the best attended, most
      interesting, and longest in length, BOE forum last round was not the
      League of Women Voters but the Chinese- American forum. I believe
      this also speaks volumes........................

      Over the last two BOE election rounds, I find Ellen to be a walking
      encyclopedia on the HCPSS and Janet's position as a pediatrician
      coupled with her financial and technology knowledge a tremendous
      asset for our community and the Board.

      I will be signing off now as I would love to engage in dialogue - I
      can't as my volunteer activities are all consuming. I had just
      stopped in because I had concerns about the time involved being on
      the Board with Diane homeschooling and Allen being self employed-
      I just wanted to make sure - each was committed to giving the Board
      the time that is needed whether it be 20 -30 or even 40 hrs. some
      weeks.

      All the best to everyone and I hope to see you at an upcoming BOE
      forum.
      Nanette Schweitzer

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, cynthia vaillancourt
      <CynthiaVaillancourt@...> wrote:

      > What were Betsey's answers? Is she a member of this listserve?
      Is she aware of the electronic community?

      > Are Ellen and Janet excused from engaging with the electorate?
      When it comes to the question of how much time each actually spends
      on BOE matters - the only demonstration we see is in the time spent
      in public, particularly at scheduled meetings. If that were the only
      time spent on BOE matters then the question would be moot for all the
      candidates.

      > I'm not trying to quibble here. I suspect Ellen spends some
      extraordinary amount of time that would shock most voters. I have no
      idea how much time Janet actually spends on BOE matters other than
      attending meetings. In fact, I think a report on the attendance
      rates of the various members at scheduled events and meetings would
      be very interesting.

      > We can leave it to individual voters to figure out for themselves
      what each of the incumbents have demonstrated as her contribution to
      the BOE. Most won't bother. A very small percentage of voters even
      on this list serve attend the public forum opportunities. A few more
      will watch the televised LWV forum.

      > I don't expect the BOE members to compete for hours logged. But I
      do appreciate the one's who make an effort to engage with the
      community on this forum.

      > For those who don't know, Nanette voluntarily spends an
      extraordinary amount of time on education matters advocating for the
      kids in this county. She could probably answer these questions for
      Ellen and Janet - and I would love to hear her answers. But that
      only accomplishes part of the task, for me. I am interested in
      whether the incumbent candidates consider this small but
      active "special interest group" worthy of their attention and what
      their answers to the questions would be.

      > The failure of the candidates to answer is an answer to another
      question. And yes, I do expect BOE candidates AND members to at
      least monitor this list as a means of keeping in touch with the
      community.

      > Cindy Vaillancourt
      >
      > To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
      > From: NanetteMS@...
      > Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 18:18:44 +0000
      > Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: Allen's answers to Nanette's "BOE
      questions for Allen and Diane"

      > Actually, I did ask my questions to Betsy at a
      community meeting she

      > attended. I haven't seen Di ZOu - is he still running? Ellen and
      >
      > Janet have demonstrated what they have to offer and what they bring
      >
      > to the Board.
      >

      > Allen mentioned 20 hours a week as an average to work on BOE
      >
      > matters. This is may be on the low side. I believe our present
      Board

      > works many more hours - I would guess and hope someone answers, but
      >
      > think they work closer to an average of 30 hr a week. The BOE
      >
      > position is a thankless job at times (parents unhappy, etc.) but
      the

      > BOE members are truly dedicated to community service. This
      position

      > most likely doesn't pay even minimum wage
      >

      > This BOE presently is above pettiness - they can agree to disagree
      >
      > and be cordial - it makes good working relationship and everyone
      >
      > benefits. I am hoping the new BOE will continue this practice/
      >

      > Nanette
      >

      > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, cynthia vaillancourt
      >
      > <CynthiaVaillancourt@> wrote:
      >

      > > How about getting answers to these questions from Ellen Giles and
      >
      > Janet Siddiqui --- and Di Zou and Betsy Grater. Ellen and Janet
      can

      > tell us how much time they DO spend on BOE business. I agree that
      >
      > civility has been improved - though I don't get the sense there
      have

      > been any good tests of wills. I would also like to hear from the
      >
      > others what changed they would like to see or have been working
      on.

      > I don't want to accept that the incumbents will be returned to the
      >
      > board as a matter of fact. With the challengers we have to judge
      >
      > what we think they will do --- with the incumbents we ought to be
      >
      > able to judge based on what they HAVE done.
      >

      > > Ellen, Janet - are you there?
      >

      > > Betsey, Di - any thoughts.
      >

      > > Thank you,
      >
      > > Cindy Vaillancourt
      >

      > > ps- I'm working on a post for the HoCoMD blog about the BOE race -

      > and would like to have more information directly fromt eh
      candidates

      > to include.
      >

      > > To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > > From: aldyer@
      >
      > > Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:48:05 -0400
      >
      > > Subject: [howardpubliced] Allen's answers to Nanette's "BOE
      >
      > questions for Allen and Diane"

      Links

      > > Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live.
      >
      > > http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-
      >
      > Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008

      > See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are
      part of your life.
      > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093175mrt/direct/01/

    • DIANE BUTLER
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
        I appreciate all of your posts. I answered Nanette's questions on her
        personal Email as she had only addressed Allen and myself. I think Allen has
        some very good points as to the amount of time spent on BOE business. In all
        of my conversations in the past with BOE board members, the time commitment
        always seemed to approach that of a full time job.
        Diane Butler