Re: [howardpubliced] Re: Allen's answers to Nanette's "BOE questions for Allen and Diane"

  • Cassie Kilroy Thompson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
      And lest Cindy be accused as being alone in this belief, I also feel it is important for BOE candidates AND members at least to monitor this list (and other similar lists), but would look favorably upon any candidate or member who actively participates in list discussions.
      --
      Cassie Kilroy Thompson
      ---------

      On Oct 7, 2008, at 5:14 PM, cynthia vaillancourt wrote:

      The failure of the candidates to answer is an answer to another question.  And yes, I do expect BOE  candidates AND members to at least monitor this list as a means of keeping in touch with the community.

      Cindy Vaillancourt

    • nanette_schweitzer
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
        After reading the posts, it was inappropriate of me to ask Allen and
        Diane questions using the list serve. Those who are employed/are on
        the Board/ have families do not have the luxury to visit at least 10
        list serves (there may be more ) and answer questions. That is why
        we have BOE forums. Has anyone other than the candidates been to a
        BOE forum or planning to attend a forum?

        Attending BOE forums has given me invaluable knowledge of the school
        system and the candidates. I can tell you the best attended, most
        interesting, and longest in length, BOE forum last round was not the
        League of Women Voters but the Chinese- American forum. I believe
        this also speaks volumes........................

        Over the last two BOE election rounds, I find Ellen to be a walking
        encyclopedia on the HCPSS and Janet's position as a pediatrician
        coupled with her financial and technology knowledge a tremendous
        asset for our community and the Board.

        I will be signing off now as I would love to engage in dialogue - I
        can't as my volunteer activities are all consuming. I had just
        stopped in because I had concerns about the time involved being on
        the Board with Diane homeschooling and Allen being self employed-
        I just wanted to make sure - each was committed to giving the Board
        the time that is needed whether it be 20 -30 or even 40 hrs. some
        weeks.

        All the best to everyone and I hope to see you at an upcoming BOE
        forum.
        Nanette Schweitzer

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, cynthia vaillancourt
        <CynthiaVaillancourt@...> wrote:

        > What were Betsey's answers? Is she a member of this listserve?
        Is she aware of the electronic community?

        > Are Ellen and Janet excused from engaging with the electorate?
        When it comes to the question of how much time each actually spends
        on BOE matters - the only demonstration we see is in the time spent
        in public, particularly at scheduled meetings. If that were the only
        time spent on BOE matters then the question would be moot for all the
        candidates.

        > I'm not trying to quibble here. I suspect Ellen spends some
        extraordinary amount of time that would shock most voters. I have no
        idea how much time Janet actually spends on BOE matters other than
        attending meetings. In fact, I think a report on the attendance
        rates of the various members at scheduled events and meetings would
        be very interesting.

        > We can leave it to individual voters to figure out for themselves
        what each of the incumbents have demonstrated as her contribution to
        the BOE. Most won't bother. A very small percentage of voters even
        on this list serve attend the public forum opportunities. A few more
        will watch the televised LWV forum.

        > I don't expect the BOE members to compete for hours logged. But I
        do appreciate the one's who make an effort to engage with the
        community on this forum.

        > For those who don't know, Nanette voluntarily spends an
        extraordinary amount of time on education matters advocating for the
        kids in this county. She could probably answer these questions for
        Ellen and Janet - and I would love to hear her answers. But that
        only accomplishes part of the task, for me. I am interested in
        whether the incumbent candidates consider this small but
        active "special interest group" worthy of their attention and what
        their answers to the questions would be.

        > The failure of the candidates to answer is an answer to another
        question. And yes, I do expect BOE candidates AND members to at
        least monitor this list as a means of keeping in touch with the
        community.

        > Cindy Vaillancourt
        >
        > To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
        > From: NanetteMS@...
        > Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 18:18:44 +0000
        > Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: Allen's answers to Nanette's "BOE
        questions for Allen and Diane"

        > Actually, I did ask my questions to Betsy at a
        community meeting she

        > attended. I haven't seen Di ZOu - is he still running? Ellen and
        >
        > Janet have demonstrated what they have to offer and what they bring
        >
        > to the Board.
        >

        > Allen mentioned 20 hours a week as an average to work on BOE
        >
        > matters. This is may be on the low side. I believe our present
        Board

        > works many more hours - I would guess and hope someone answers, but
        >
        > think they work closer to an average of 30 hr a week. The BOE
        >
        > position is a thankless job at times (parents unhappy, etc.) but
        the

        > BOE members are truly dedicated to community service. This
        position

        > most likely doesn't pay even minimum wage
        >

        > This BOE presently is above pettiness - they can agree to disagree
        >
        > and be cordial - it makes good working relationship and everyone
        >
        > benefits. I am hoping the new BOE will continue this practice/
        >

        > Nanette
        >

        > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, cynthia vaillancourt
        >
        > <CynthiaVaillancourt@> wrote:
        >

        > > How about getting answers to these questions from Ellen Giles and
        >
        > Janet Siddiqui --- and Di Zou and Betsy Grater. Ellen and Janet
        can

        > tell us how much time they DO spend on BOE business. I agree that
        >
        > civility has been improved - though I don't get the sense there
        have

        > been any good tests of wills. I would also like to hear from the
        >
        > others what changed they would like to see or have been working
        on.

        > I don't want to accept that the incumbents will be returned to the
        >
        > board as a matter of fact. With the challengers we have to judge
        >
        > what we think they will do --- with the incumbents we ought to be
        >
        > able to judge based on what they HAVE done.
        >

        > > Ellen, Janet - are you there?
        >

        > > Betsey, Di - any thoughts.
        >

        > > Thank you,
        >
        > > Cindy Vaillancourt
        >

        > > ps- I'm working on a post for the HoCoMD blog about the BOE race -

        > and would like to have more information directly fromt eh
        candidates

        > to include.
        >

        > > To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > > From: aldyer@
        >
        > > Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 17:48:05 -0400
        >
        > > Subject: [howardpubliced] Allen's answers to Nanette's "BOE
        >
        > questions for Allen and Diane"

        Links

        > > Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live.
        >
        > > http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-
        >
        > Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008

        > See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are
        part of your life.
        > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093175mrt/direct/01/

      • DIANE BUTLER
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2008
          I appreciate all of your posts. I answered Nanette's questions on her
          personal Email as she had only addressed Allen and myself. I think Allen has
          some very good points as to the amount of time spent on BOE business. In all
          of my conversations in the past with BOE board members, the time commitment
          always seemed to approach that of a full time job.
          Diane Butler