Re: LWV board of ed questions

  • perlpubl
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2007
      Okay Allen -- here is my stab at it:

      1. What do you want to accomplish as a member of the Board of
      Education?

      To create an environment in which each child is enabled with the
      foundation and the opportunity to reach his/ her potential as a
      human being.

      2. How will you advocate for the funds needed for school maintenance
      and renovations?

      To view education as an entity separate and distinct from the rest
      of government operations is short-sighted. There are limited
      resources. Each department is working from the same pie. It is
      about prioritization.

      That being said, I view public education as the number one
      priority. Within education I prioritize with the needs of the
      teacher and his/ her students in a safe, healthy, and nurturing
      environment.

      3. How will you support the right of the public to access school
      department reports, contracts and budget documents?

      The exact same way I've supported the public's right to know for the
      last 15 years - demand that the department follows all rules, laws,
      and regulations already on the books. If the department is not
      forthcoming with information on their own, Freedom of Information
      Act (FOIA) requests have worked extremely well.

      4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools more
      environmentally friendly or green?

      Schools represent abundant opportunities for solar panels, rain
      barrel collectors, organic growing of foods, and a sustainable
      living environment. None of this is very difficult. A
      transformation needs to take place. New Jersey and other locations
      have already begun the process.

      5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system address
      this issue?

      Poverty, crime, drugs, forty-five million uninsured, and war are
      also major issues which influence the health of our children. I
      would like to see the school system (as defined by whom? - does it
      include just senior management? the department of education? the
      board of education? teachers? parents? students? community?) discuss
      the entire well being of community, which would include, perhaps,
      the issue of child obesity.

      6. How will you recognize and reward the teaching of critical
      thinking skills in the classroom?

      Recognize and reward? I'm not sure I understand. I believe the
      acquiring of an education and of knowledge (including the ability to
      think critically) is (and should be) an intrinsically rewarding
      experience which is recognized by the actions we take individually
      and collectively.

      7. How should the Department of Education help low-performing
      students and low- performing schools?

      The department of education defines some schools and some students
      as low performing. I'm not sure what this means other than they
      have not performed up to a certain standard as measured by a certain
      test. I believe students and schools defined in this manner should
      be treated in the same manner as I defined in question number one --

      To create an environment in which each child is enabled with the
      foundation and the opportunity to reach his/ her potential as a
      human being.

      8. Howard County Schools are ranked as excellent. What ideas do you
      have that will challenge the school system to strive for even higher
      academic achievement?

      To further the notion of creating an environment in which each child
      is enabled with the foundation and the opportunity to reach his/
      her potential as a human being,

      My main idea would include treating each member of the education
      community - administrators, board members, teachers, parents,
      students with the utmost respect and the optimistic belief that they
      will be a highly valued member of society.

      Barry Tevelow

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Dyer" <aldyer@...>
      wrote:

      > f.y.i. following & attached are the league of women voters
      questions that have been asked of the
      > board of education candidates.
      >
      > if anyone has any ideas/comments on any of the questions, i, for
      one, would be interested
      > in hearing what you have to say.
      >
      > thanx,
      > allen dyer
      > board candidate
      > __________________
      > LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF HOWARD COUNTY,
      INC.

      _________________________________________________ Age
      _____

      > Web Site Address
      >

      > Biographical Information (no more than 50 words)
      >

      > 1. What do you want to accomplish as a member of the Board of
      Education?

      > 2. How will you advocate for the funds needed for school
      maintenance and renovations?

      > 3. How will you support the right of the public to access
      school department reports, contracts and budget documents?

      > 4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools
      more environmentally friendly or green?

      > 5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system
      address this issue?

      > 6. How will you recognize and reward the teaching of critical
      thinking skills in the classroom?

      > 7. How should the Department of Education help low-performing
      students and low- performing schools?

      > 8. Howard County Schools are ranked as excellent. What ideas do
      you have that will challenge the school system to strive for even
      higher academic achievement?

    • joanpontius
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2007
        the school could combine 4 and 5 by having kids walk
        longer distances to the bus, by having the county
        become more walkable and bikeable.

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "perlpubl" <barrytevelow@...>
        wrote:

        > 4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools more
        > environmentally friendly or green?
        >
        > Schools represent abundant opportunities for solar panels, rain
        > barrel collectors, organic growing of foods, and a sustainable
        > living environment. None of this is very difficult. A
        > transformation needs to take place. New Jersey and other locations
        > have already begun the process.
        >
        > 5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system address
        > this issue?
        >
        > Poverty, crime, drugs, forty-five million uninsured, and war are
        > also major issues which influence the health of our children. I
        > would like to see the school system (as defined by whom? - does it
        > include just senior management? the department of education? the
        > board of education? teachers? parents? students? community?) discuss
        > the entire well being of community, which would include, perhaps,
        > the issue of child obesity.

      • Bob Rosebrough
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2007
          What, What!!??

          Don't you get it? Walk, ride a bike eh? This is the epicenter of the
          Lexus SUV culture. Why walk when Biff and Pookie can be shuttled in
          style the block to the bus stop. As a long time biker (12000 miles
          this year) and walker (1000 miles this year), I will settle for not
          making the county any more unfriendly (chokers and multi lane round
          abouts. More sidewalks and wider shoulders - get real.

          BobR

          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "joanpontius" <joanpontius@...>
          wrote:

          > the school could combine 4 and 5 by having kids walk
          > longer distances to the bus, by having the county
          > become more walkable and bikeable.
          >

          > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "perlpubl" <barrytevelow@>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > 4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools more
          > > environmentally friendly or green?
          > >
          > > Schools represent abundant opportunities for solar panels, rain
          > > barrel collectors, organic growing of foods, and a sustainable
          > > living environment. None of this is very difficult. A
          > > transformation needs to take place. New Jersey and other locations
          > > have already begun the process.
          > >
          > > 5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system address
          > > this issue?
          > >
          > > Poverty, crime, drugs, forty-five million uninsured, and war are
          > > also major issues which influence the health of our children. I
          > > would like to see the school system (as defined by whom? - does it
          > > include just senior management? the department of education? the
          > > board of education? teachers? parents? students? community?) discuss
          > > the entire well being of community, which would include, perhaps,
          > > the issue of child obesity.

        • joan_pontius
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 18, 2007
            the block??
            where i live, they get picked up at the end
            of the driveway

            oh, and another concept for combing more green and less obese.
            get rid of all the soda machines and have kids use
            water fountains when they're thirsty.

            --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Rosebrough"
            <bobrosebrough21045@...> wrote:

            > What, What!!??
            >
            > Don't you get it? Walk, ride a bike eh? This is the epicenter of the
            > Lexus SUV culture. Why walk when Biff and Pookie can be shuttled in
            > style the block to the bus stop. As a long time biker (12000 miles
            > this year) and walker (1000 miles this year), I will settle for not
            > making the county any more unfriendly (chokers and multi lane round
            > abouts. More sidewalks and wider shoulders - get real.
            >
            > BobR
            >
            > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "joanpontius" <joanpontius@>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > the school could combine 4 and 5 by having kids walk
            > > longer distances to the bus, by having the county
            > > become more walkable and bikeable.
            > >

            > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "perlpubl" <barrytevelow@>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > > > 4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools more
            > > > environmentally friendly or green?
            > > >
            > > > Schools represent abundant opportunities for solar panels, rain
            > > > barrel collectors, organic growing of foods, and a sustainable
            > > > living environment. None of this is very difficult. A
            > > > transformation needs to take place. New Jersey and other locations
            > > > have already begun the process.
            > > >
            > > > 5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system
            address
            > > > this issue?
            > > >
            > > > Poverty, crime, drugs, forty-five million uninsured, and war are
            > > > also major issues which influence the health of our children. I
            > > > would like to see the school system (as defined by whom? - does it
            > > > include just senior management? the department of education? the
            > > > board of education? teachers? parents? students? community?)
            discuss
            > > > the entire well being of community, which would include, perhaps,
            > > > the issue of child obesity.

          • Betsy Brown
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
              Greetings,
              I'm new here. I just want to address the walking to the bus stop
              issue. Most of our middle and high school students are boarding the
              buses to school in complete darkness in the mornings a lot of the
              time. It's just not safe for them to walk a mile in the dark (in the
              rain, with a trombone case, etc.)to a bus stop. On the other hand, the
              reason the upper level schools start so early is because of the bus
              situation-- money is saved and traffic congestion is eased by using the
              same buses for several runs. We can start "going green" by
              retrofitting the school buses to use biodiesel. Also, our whole idea
              of a central school building for a huge area may have to be turned on
              its head, combining the benefits of home-schooling with those more
              traditional methods-- maybe with small community centers where kids can
              gather to "tele-commute," along with going to a larger venue when
              needed. It doesn't hurt to think "outside the box."

              Regards,
              Betsy Brown
              http://westernhowardblog.blogspot.com/