LWV board of ed questions

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2007
      f.y.i.  following & attached are the league of women voters questions that have been asked of the
      board of education candidates.

      if anyone has any ideas/comments on any of the questions, i, for one, would be interested
      in hearing what you have to say.

      thanx,
      allen dyer
      board candidate
      __________________

                             LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF HOWARD COUNTY, INC.

      LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF HOWARD COUNTY EDUCATION FUND, INC.

      Suite 301 Century Plaza 2000

      10632 Little Patuxent Parkway, Columbia MD 21044

      Tel./fax: 410-730-0142

      lwvhc@...

       www.howard.lwvmd.org

      VOTERS GUIDE QUESTIONS FOR SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATES

      Please answer all questions using 50 words or less for each question.

      Name _________________________________________________                Age _____

      Web Site Address __________________________________________________________

      Biographical Information (no more than 50 words)

      1.      What do you want to accomplish as a member of the Board of Education?

      2.      How will you advocate for the funds needed for school maintenance and renovations?

      3.      How will you support the right of the public to access school department reports, contracts and budget documents?

      4.      What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools more environmentally friendly or green?

      5.      Child obesity is a major issue.  How can the school system address this issue?

      6.      How will you recognize and reward the teaching of critical thinking skills in the classroom?

      7.      How should the Department of Education help low-performing students and low- performing schools?

      8.  Howard County Schools are ranked as excellent. What ideas do you have that will challenge the school system to strive for even higher academic achievement?

    • perlpubl
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2007
        Okay Allen -- here is my stab at it:

        1. What do you want to accomplish as a member of the Board of
        Education?

        To create an environment in which each child is enabled with the
        foundation and the opportunity to reach his/ her potential as a
        human being.

        2. How will you advocate for the funds needed for school maintenance
        and renovations?

        To view education as an entity separate and distinct from the rest
        of government operations is short-sighted. There are limited
        resources. Each department is working from the same pie. It is
        about prioritization.

        That being said, I view public education as the number one
        priority. Within education I prioritize with the needs of the
        teacher and his/ her students in a safe, healthy, and nurturing
        environment.

        3. How will you support the right of the public to access school
        department reports, contracts and budget documents?

        The exact same way I've supported the public's right to know for the
        last 15 years - demand that the department follows all rules, laws,
        and regulations already on the books. If the department is not
        forthcoming with information on their own, Freedom of Information
        Act (FOIA) requests have worked extremely well.

        4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools more
        environmentally friendly or green?

        Schools represent abundant opportunities for solar panels, rain
        barrel collectors, organic growing of foods, and a sustainable
        living environment. None of this is very difficult. A
        transformation needs to take place. New Jersey and other locations
        have already begun the process.

        5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system address
        this issue?

        Poverty, crime, drugs, forty-five million uninsured, and war are
        also major issues which influence the health of our children. I
        would like to see the school system (as defined by whom? - does it
        include just senior management? the department of education? the
        board of education? teachers? parents? students? community?) discuss
        the entire well being of community, which would include, perhaps,
        the issue of child obesity.

        6. How will you recognize and reward the teaching of critical
        thinking skills in the classroom?

        Recognize and reward? I'm not sure I understand. I believe the
        acquiring of an education and of knowledge (including the ability to
        think critically) is (and should be) an intrinsically rewarding
        experience which is recognized by the actions we take individually
        and collectively.

        7. How should the Department of Education help low-performing
        students and low- performing schools?

        The department of education defines some schools and some students
        as low performing. I'm not sure what this means other than they
        have not performed up to a certain standard as measured by a certain
        test. I believe students and schools defined in this manner should
        be treated in the same manner as I defined in question number one --

        To create an environment in which each child is enabled with the
        foundation and the opportunity to reach his/ her potential as a
        human being.

        8. Howard County Schools are ranked as excellent. What ideas do you
        have that will challenge the school system to strive for even higher
        academic achievement?

        To further the notion of creating an environment in which each child
        is enabled with the foundation and the opportunity to reach his/
        her potential as a human being,

        My main idea would include treating each member of the education
        community - administrators, board members, teachers, parents,
        students with the utmost respect and the optimistic belief that they
        will be a highly valued member of society.

        Barry Tevelow

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Allen Dyer" <aldyer@...>

        _________________________________________________ Age
        _____

        > Web Site Address
        >

        > Biographical Information (no more than 50 words)
        >

        > 1. What do you want to accomplish as a member of the Board of
        Education?

        > 2. How will you advocate for the funds needed for school
        maintenance and renovations?

        > 3. How will you support the right of the public to access
        school department reports, contracts and budget documents?

        > 4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools
        more environmentally friendly or green?

        > 5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system
        address this issue?

        > 6. How will you recognize and reward the teaching of critical
        thinking skills in the classroom?

        > 7. How should the Department of Education help low-performing
        students and low- performing schools?

        > 8. Howard County Schools are ranked as excellent. What ideas do
        you have that will challenge the school system to strive for even
        higher academic achievement?

      • joanpontius
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2007
          the school could combine 4 and 5 by having kids walk
          longer distances to the bus, by having the county
          become more walkable and bikeable.

          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "perlpubl" <barrytevelow@...>
          wrote:

          > 4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools more
          > environmentally friendly or green?
          >
          > Schools represent abundant opportunities for solar panels, rain
          > barrel collectors, organic growing of foods, and a sustainable
          > living environment. None of this is very difficult. A
          > transformation needs to take place. New Jersey and other locations
          > have already begun the process.
          >
          > 5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system address
          > this issue?
          >
          > Poverty, crime, drugs, forty-five million uninsured, and war are
          > also major issues which influence the health of our children. I
          > would like to see the school system (as defined by whom? - does it
          > include just senior management? the department of education? the
          > board of education? teachers? parents? students? community?) discuss
          > the entire well being of community, which would include, perhaps,
          > the issue of child obesity.

        • Bob Rosebrough
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2007
            What, What!!??

            Don't you get it? Walk, ride a bike eh? This is the epicenter of the
            Lexus SUV culture. Why walk when Biff and Pookie can be shuttled in
            style the block to the bus stop. As a long time biker (12000 miles
            this year) and walker (1000 miles this year), I will settle for not
            making the county any more unfriendly (chokers and multi lane round
            abouts. More sidewalks and wider shoulders - get real.

            BobR

            --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "joanpontius" <joanpontius@...>
            wrote:

            > the school could combine 4 and 5 by having kids walk
            > longer distances to the bus, by having the county
            > become more walkable and bikeable.
            >

            > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "perlpubl" <barrytevelow@>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > 4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools more
            > > environmentally friendly or green?
            > >
            > > Schools represent abundant opportunities for solar panels, rain
            > > barrel collectors, organic growing of foods, and a sustainable
            > > living environment. None of this is very difficult. A
            > > transformation needs to take place. New Jersey and other locations
            > > have already begun the process.
            > >
            > > 5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system address
            > > this issue?
            > >
            > > Poverty, crime, drugs, forty-five million uninsured, and war are
            > > also major issues which influence the health of our children. I
            > > would like to see the school system (as defined by whom? - does it
            > > include just senior management? the department of education? the
            > > board of education? teachers? parents? students? community?) discuss
            > > the entire well being of community, which would include, perhaps,
            > > the issue of child obesity.

          • joan_pontius
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 18, 2007
              the block??
              where i live, they get picked up at the end
              of the driveway

              oh, and another concept for combing more green and less obese.
              get rid of all the soda machines and have kids use
              water fountains when they're thirsty.

              --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Rosebrough"
              <bobrosebrough21045@...> wrote:

              > What, What!!??
              >
              > Don't you get it? Walk, ride a bike eh? This is the epicenter of the
              > Lexus SUV culture. Why walk when Biff and Pookie can be shuttled in
              > style the block to the bus stop. As a long time biker (12000 miles
              > this year) and walker (1000 miles this year), I will settle for not
              > making the county any more unfriendly (chokers and multi lane round
              > abouts. More sidewalks and wider shoulders - get real.
              >
              > BobR
              >
              > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "joanpontius" <joanpontius@>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > the school could combine 4 and 5 by having kids walk
              > > longer distances to the bus, by having the county
              > > become more walkable and bikeable.
              > >

              > > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "perlpubl" <barrytevelow@>
              > > wrote:
              > >
              > > > 4. What opportunities are there to make Howard County Schools more
              > > > environmentally friendly or green?
              > > >
              > > > Schools represent abundant opportunities for solar panels, rain
              > > > barrel collectors, organic growing of foods, and a sustainable
              > > > living environment. None of this is very difficult. A
              > > > transformation needs to take place. New Jersey and other locations
              > > > have already begun the process.
              > > >
              > > > 5. Child obesity is a major issue. How can the school system
              address
              > > > this issue?
              > > >
              > > > Poverty, crime, drugs, forty-five million uninsured, and war are
              > > > also major issues which influence the health of our children. I
              > > > would like to see the school system (as defined by whom? - does it
              > > > include just senior management? the department of education? the
              > > > board of education? teachers? parents? students? community?)
              discuss
              > > > the entire well being of community, which would include, perhaps,
              > > > the issue of child obesity.

            • Betsy Brown
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 19, 2007
                Greetings,
                I'm new here. I just want to address the walking to the bus stop
                issue. Most of our middle and high school students are boarding the
                buses to school in complete darkness in the mornings a lot of the
                time. It's just not safe for them to walk a mile in the dark (in the
                rain, with a trombone case, etc.)to a bus stop. On the other hand, the
                reason the upper level schools start so early is because of the bus
                situation-- money is saved and traffic congestion is eased by using the
                same buses for several runs. We can start "going green" by
                retrofitting the school buses to use biodiesel. Also, our whole idea
                of a central school building for a huge area may have to be turned on
                its head, combining the benefits of home-schooling with those more
                traditional methods-- maybe with small community centers where kids can
                gather to "tele-commute," along with going to a larger venue when
                needed. It doesn't hurt to think "outside the box."

                Regards,
                Betsy Brown
                http://westernhowardblog.blogspot.com/