Re: Briefing: Myths About Teaching and Learning

  • tneumark2000
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2007
      Thanks for clarifying. Sorry that I misunderstood.

      Cheers,

      Tom

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "normagene_21029"
      <normagene@...> wrote:

      > Tom,
      >
      > I am not objecting to the discussion nor the presentation on Myths
      > about Teaching and Learning.
      >
      > I am objecting to the comment by Mr. Dorman, "This kind of
      reactionary
      > claptrap reminds me of the folks who point to the few articles
      > published in second-run journals that purport to show that global
      > warming is not really happening."
      >
      > One, it is inappropriate for Mr. Dorman to post political messages
      > outside the scope of this forum.
      >
      > Two, I waited for the moderator to address this issue. They have
      not.

      > Three, not everyone on this list will agree with Mr. Dorman's
      > political point of view on global warming. Therefore he should know
      he
      > has offended at least some of the people on this list by referring
      > them derogatorily as reactionary claptrap.
      >
      > I am awaiting the moderators comments to support my statement that
      Mr.
      > Dorman's political messages are inappropriate at this forum. Should
      > the moderator allow Mr. Dorman's political message to pass, then it
      > would be appropriate for me to respond with an alternate point of
      view
      > to Mr. Dorman's political message.
      >
      > Norma B
      >

      > > I hope our presentation doesn't count as a political message. It
      is
      > > meant to be useful information that is quite relevant to
      education in
      > > our schools. Most education schools promote the myths we are
      talking
      > > about. The issue isn't particular to Frederick. It is a
      national
      > > problem.
      > >

      > > Tom

    • joan_pontius
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 3, 2007
        how is that a political message??

        you can plot global temperature vs year and get a line
        and it's pretty obvious where we are heading and
        where we came from.

        if he had used some other X vs Y example would that have been ok?
        or what if he had brought up the flat earth society as
        an example, would that have been a political message?

        It's not like he brought religion into it, and proposed
        that global warming was due to the loss of pirates over
        the past 100 years.

        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 3, 2007
          YIKES!
          I will assume Mr. Lischner doesn't really mean to say he ONLY cares about his own children's education and opportunities, and I see his point about not getting too worked up on the HoCo Publiced listserve about what may be going on in Frederick county, but....  two things just jump out at me - one is that even in HoCo not all schools are created equal--- so while one's own children may be well situated (this year) - we should not make policy decisions based on assumptions and individual experiences.
          The second is that these comments reflect a sad reality that many people are not only complacent with what they ASSUME is going on with their children's education - many of us (in spite of active involvement and observation) make a lot of assumptions based on our own experiences in school (for good or bad) that make it very hard to accurately evaluate what is going on in todays classrooms..... and that as long as everything seems ok for our kids at this moment we should not bother with looking ahead or considering what others may be experiencing.
          If only people who are having trouble with the school system participate or complain and the one's who are happy shout them down we'd have ---- well, we'd have what we usually do.

          Cindy V

          To: howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com
          From: rl.edu@...
          Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:49:29 -0500
          Subject: [howardpubliced] Re: Briefing: Myths About Teaching and Learning

          On Thursday 29 November 2007 06:47 pm, tneumark2000 wrote:

          > ...The issue isn't particular to Frederick. It is a national
          > problem.

          I don't care. I don't have time to care about national educational
          problems, except as far as they affect my choices come election day.

          I can deeply about the education of my children. They don't attend
          school in Frederick County. So far, no one has presented any evidence,
          or even a suggestion that the problems that FER cite apply locally. My
          observations tell me that I have nothing to worry about, at least at
          the school my son attends and that my daughter will enter in 2009.
          --
          Ray Lischner

        • The Sola's
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 4, 2007
            Maybe part of our problem is not thinking beyond our self interests. Maybe we need to use the word community more often especially when we talk about education.
            Peter Sola