Tons of questions about the early grades.

  • Kristine
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2007
      Can anyone comment from a parent's or student's point of view about
      class size in the early grades. Specifically, if kindergarten class
      or first grade class has 24 students, what are your thoughts on
      that? At what point will the county add another class? When a
      school has loads of parent volunteers, does that make a difference
      on instruction? By that, I mean do they work one on one or with
      small groups? Has that been helpful? Are the assistants coordinated
      so that one is working with a large group while the teacher meets
      with smaller groups for reading or math, or do early-grade
      assistants even work with students? What do they do at your
      school? I am correct in thinking that each kindergarten class has a
      half-time assistant and in addition to that there may be special
      education assistants or even teachers working in the classroom with
      children with special needs.

      And to keep the questions coming...when a student can read upon
      entering kindergarten, will that student still be challenged? If a
      student tends to work slowly or quickly, how is that handled? I
      realize answers will vary school to school, but I would appreciate
      if anyone has insight to share. Feel free to email me off list also.

      Finally, what were you most pleased with / most concerned about in
      the early grades, or in any elementary grade.

      Thank you. I know this is a lot, so I appreciate your feedback.

      Kristine