Re: [howardpubliced] Re: Will This Year's Candidates Have a Better Debate?

  • The Sola's
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
      My definition of Education is that all children are able to learn,-all
      subjects- (see Jamie Escalante) that as long as we have teachers who
      believe this assumption we have children who may achieve at the highest
      levels. Tests ought to be used as diagnostic tools allowing the teacher to
      discover what a child does not understand and then teach the child.
      Training is using a test to define a child then locking the child into a
      track and assuming that is child has found his or her place in the world.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
        My problem is that when we go to alternate methods of educating who will
        receive the benefits. the poor or those able to utilize vouchers or what
        ever sysyem proposed.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
          Tom - reward those who actually have ideas and are open to learning
          themselves --- use your energy to back a candidate or two (or three) and get
          the word out.

          It is not really a question of thinking people voting for good candidates
          ---

          It's a question of how to get all the masses of people who show up to vote
          without any idea who the BOE candfidates are to push the "right" button.

          My biggest fear is that too many people will show up and think "hmmm, Sandy
          French, that name sounds familiar, I'll vote for her" --- without
          remembering that the name is familiar because she was on the board making
          decisions that led to the O'Rourke debacle, the incredibly expensive and
          ultimately failing legal battles, and the foolish if not plain stupid
          handling of the various "scandals".

          We have good candidates --- what we need are foot wsoldiers getting the word
          out to the voters.

          cindy v.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
            Tom,
            The thing about Bob is that he is very smart, has been around the block a
            couple of tiimes :), and actually puts his "money where his mouth is" with
            working with kids, raising them, educating them, etc has a wealth of
            obscure information--- and his "critiques" - though often unnecessarily
            harsh and snarky - usually touch on some truth (except of course when he
            criticizes me).

            Whether you choose to re-evaluate your positions based on Bob's comments or
            not (you probably don't disagree as much as it might seem).... it may be
            wise to consider his "attacks" on your posts as a learning experience on how
            to more effectively communicate your desired message.

            If he is saying it, you can bet others are thinking it. If he is
            misunderstanding your intent, you might consider reworking it. If he is
            questioning your motives, you might consider presenting them.

            I'm not suggesting you put too much stock in any one person's opinion --- I
            would, however, suggest that Bob is an interesting barometer that can be
            used to refine your approach and your message to optimize your eventual
            success.

            offered from experience,

          • tneumark2000
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
              wrote:

              > My problem is that when we go to alternate methods of educating
              > who will receive the benefits. the poor or those able to utilize
              > vouchers or what ever sysyem proposed.

              It's a good question, and the answer depends on the form of school
              choice. The direct benefits of a voucher system can go specifically
              to poor students, since you can design a system in which only poor
              students are eligible for the voucher. The indirect benefits go to
              all students, since the school system will respond to competition by
              improving its offerings.

              In terms school choice through charter schools, the students who go
              to a charter school that serves them better will benefit. If they
              find that the charter school isn't serving them better, they are
              allowed to go back to the regular public schools at any time. Here,
              too, the indirect benefits also go to the students in the regular
              public schools, since those schools will feel pressure to improve.

              We don't have many charter schools in Maryland, and there are none
              in Howard County as far as I know. Has any candidate come out
              publicly for encouraging more charter schools?

              Tom Neumark
            • tneumark2000
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
                --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "cynthia vaillancourt"
                <CynthiaVaillancourt@...> wrote:

                > It is not really a question of thinking people voting for good
                > candidates
                > ---
                >
                > It's a question of how to get all the masses of people who show up
                > to vote without any idea who the BOE candfidates are to push
                > the "right" button.

                I agree with that. It's a tough job to get the masses to push the
                right button. In Montgomery County we organized hundreds of
                volunteers to work the polls during the last election, but a
                combination of the union's larger number of poll workers and the
                average voter not caring as much about the BOE races still left our
                candidates in second place. We got close, but just not close enough.

                Tom Neumark
              • tneumark2000
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
                  --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "cynthia vaillancourt"
                  <CynthiaVaillancourt@...> wrote:

                  > it may be wise to consider his "attacks" on your posts as a
                  > learning experience on how
                  > to more effectively communicate your desired message.

                  I didn't consider his recent comments to be anything but good
                  challenging questions. I have no problem with those sorts of postings.

                  Tom Neumark
                • tneumark2000
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
                    wrote:

                    > My definition of Education is that all children are able to learn,-
                    > all subjects- (see Jamie Escalante) that as long as we have
                    > teachers who believe this assumption we have children who may
                    > achieve at the highest levels. Tests ought to be used as
                    > diagnostic tools allowing the teacher to discover what a child
                    > does not understand and then teach the child.

                    I agree with that. One of the problems with the HSA tests is that
                    students who fail them are not currently provided with a copy of the
                    test to see where they need to improve. Another problem is that the
                    testing results are not released by objective. In other words, how
                    did Maryland's fifth graders do on fractions? We have no idea. All
                    we get is a scaled score. We don't even know how many questions the
                    scaled score equates to.

                    I think we ought to get the legislature to require Maryland to
                    release a lot more information about how its tests are scored,
                    release the results (both raw and scaled) by objective, and also
                    should provide kids needing remediation with a copy of the scored
                    test.

                    What do you think?

                    Tom Neumark
                  • The Sola's
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
                      This would be an excellent start; just imagine kids happy to take tests
                      because they will not fail but find out what they need to learn.

                      >> My definition of Education is that all children are able to learn,-
                      >> all subjects- (see Jamie Escalante) that as long as we have
                      >> teachers who believe this assumption we have children who may
                      >> achieve at the highest levels. Tests ought to be used as
                      >> diagnostic tools allowing the teacher to discover what a child
                      >> does not understand and then teach the child.
                      >
                      > I agree with that. One of the problems with the HSA tests is that
                      > students who fail them are not currently provided with a copy of the
                      > test to see where they need to improve. Another problem is that the
                      > testing results are not released by objective. In other words, how
                      > did Maryland's fifth graders do on fractions? We have no idea. All
                      > we get is a scaled score. We don't even know how many questions the
                      > scaled score equates to.
                      >
                      > I think we ought to get the legislature to require Maryland to
                      > release a lot more information about how its tests are scored,
                      > release the results (both raw and scaled) by objective, and also
                      > should provide kids needing remediation with a copy of the scored
                      > test.
                      >
                      > What do you think?
                      >
                      > Tom Neumark
                      >

                      > This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List. All original messages
                      > posted here are placed in the public domain unless the poster states
                      > otherwise. Re-published messages (i.e. newspaper articles) retain their
                      > original copyright status.
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • tneumark2000
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 11, 2006
                        wrote:

                        > This would be an excellent start; just imagine kids happy to take
                        > tests because they will not fail but find out what they need to
                        > learn.

                        Exactly! This is an issue that is more for the state legislature than
                        for the local BOE candidates, but it would be interesting to know how
                        many candidates support doing this. Do you have any idea?

                        Tom Neumark