Re: helping students with serious mental problems

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      From: "Kristie" <wideawakek@...>
      Subject: [howardpubliced] Anti-violence letter to Vermont students

      kristie, thanx for the well written letter from vermont. it sounds sincere
      but i think there needs to be more explanation associated with the
      following section on "ratting" --

      > ... I ask you to inform an adult in your school. I know that this request
      > contradicts some of the rules of peer pressure - the ones that say don't "rat" or "tattle" on a
      > fellow student or "don't get involved." However, if you are well intended, reporting your
      > concerns to an adult you trust is an attempt to help the individual, not to get them in trouble.
      > Your action could also save lives.

      nice words - "attempt to help the individual" but.... how often are delinquents
      truly "helped" by school authorities?? if school authorities can truly "help"
      a kid with a fairly complex personality disorder, i would think they could give
      examples of past successes.

      allen

      p.s. my guess is that as soon as "weapons in schools" is mentioned the
      operation is immediately bounced to the local police and "helping the
      student" drops way down on the list of priorities.