Re: The Facts on Teacher Certification Reform

  • bobrosebrough21045
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1 4:34 AM
      What's the big deal? I searched several of the state sites and
      found that, with exception, all required the standard state
      certification doe TTT. States CAN credit military experience (MD up
      to 4 yr) but are not required to do such. In effect the TTT
      participant can be at a disadvantage because the experience factor
      carries a salary adjustment. Of course any type of life-time
      experience is valuable. The course work thing in MD is no biggie,
      by the way - one or two methods courses and student teaching. The
      problem is the state trolls who evaluate transcripts for
      major/minors.

      BobR

      --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "tneumark2000"

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1 4:41 AM
        Bob,
        Can you please explain the "major/minor" issue you find objectionable?

        thanks,
        Cindy V.

        <tneumark2000@y...> wrote:

        > Yes, Troops to Teachers is a great program and one I support!  The
        > American Board's program boasts an average age of 40 years old and
        > 40% of its candidates have advanced degrees.  Programs like these
        > help everyone's kids because they bring bright, motivated people
        into
        > the classroom.  Here's to hoping Maryland will do more of this.
        >
        > Tom
        >
        > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, RSYOSH@a... wrote:
        > >

        > > In a message dated 10/30/2005 4:29:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > > tneumark2000@y... writes:
        > >
        > > ·  Maryland's latest staffing report has declared teacher
        > > shortage in all 24  districts and a shortage of male and minority
        > > teachers. This shortage has  persisted for years, and is
        especially
        > > dire in math and  science.
        > >

        > > ____________________________________
        > >
        > > Last week I was at a presentation where teachers in the  "Troops
        > Teachers"
        > > in Maryland were honored. The program began in  Maryland in 1994
        > and
        > > definitely targets some on the problem areas you  mention -
        > retiring military
        > > personnel are trained and certified to be  teachers specifically
        in
        > the "difficult"
        > > schools. The retention rate is  higher than avg, the "troops"
        tend
        > to be male,
        > > often qualified in math and  science, and many are minorities.
        > > - Becky
        > > Background
        > > Troops to Teachers (TTT) was established in 1994 as a Department
        > of  Defense
        > > program. The National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2000
        > transferred the
        > > responsibility for program oversight and funding to the  U.S.
        > Department of
        > > Education but continued operation by the Department of  Defense.
        > The No Child
        > > Left Behind Act of 2001 provides for the  continuation of TTT
        > through Fiscal Year
        > > (FY) 2006. TTT is managed by the  Defense Activity for Non-
        > Traditional
        > > Education Support (DANTES),  Pensacola, Florida.
        > > ____________________________________
        > >   Goal and Objectives
        > > Reflecting the focus of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001,
        the
        > primary
        > > objective of TTT is to help recruit quality teachers for
        schools
        > that serve
        > > students from low-income families throughout America. TTT helps
        > relieve teacher
        > > shortages, especially in math, science, special education  and
        > other critical
        > > subject areas, and assists military personnel in making
        successful
        > > transitions to second careers in  teaching.

        DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a student project today!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/G7lQgA/FpQLAA/HwKMAA/jyXolB/TM

        This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.  All original messages posted here are placed in the public domain unless the poster states otherwise. Re-published messages (i.e. newspaper articles) retain their original copyright status.
        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • RSYOSH@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1 5:41 AM
           Keep in mind that retiring military personnel have a modest pension in place, but are looking for supplementary income. TTT is an excellent solution because it offers people who already have an excellent attitude towards public service a way of leverage teaching experience. (As one presenter the other day mentioned, everyone who moves up in the military ranks becomes a teacher).
          There were a couple of interesting points that the honorees mentioned
          - need for classroom management training because misbehavior in the classroom is not an issue in the military - and can be a shock when facing down a bunch of inner city teenagers
          - need a way to get the student teaching part taken care of without losing income during that time

          otherwise I was impressed that this is a great source of potential teachers.
          My other fav program is Teach for America.

          - Becky

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> <FONT COLOR="#000099">DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a student project today! </FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/G7lQgA/FpQLAA/HwKMAA/jyXolB/TM"><B>Click Here!</B></A> --------------------------------------------------------------------~-> This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List. All original messages posted here are placed in the public domain unless the poster states otherwise. Re-published messages (i.e. newspaper articles) retain their original copyright status. Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/howardpubliced/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: howardpubliced-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1 6:02 AM
            I imagine it is true that many of these folks are looking for supplemental income and have an excellent attitude towards public service ----

            a selflessness that can be "taken advantage of" in SO many ways.

            Sadly, we are still trying to fill our need for people to teach our children - educate the future - by tapping into the altruisitic impulses of those with the financial cushion to be "professional volunteers".

            Nice supplements - but a sad plan.

            Cindy Vaillancourt

            What's the big deal?  I searched several of the state sites and  found that, with exception, all required the standard state  certification doe TTT.  States CAN credit military experience (MD up  to 4 yr) but are not required to do such.  In effect the TTT  participant can be at a disadvantage because the experience factor  carries a salary adjustment. Of course any type of life-time  experience is valuable.  The course work thing in MD is no biggie,  by the way - one or two methods courses and student teaching.  The  problem is the state trolls who evaluate transcripts for  major/minors.   BobR   --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "tneumark2000"  <tneumark2000@y..> wrote: > > Yes, Troops to Teachers is a great program and one I support!  The  > American Board's program boasts an average age of 40 years old and  > 40% of its candidates have advanced degrees.  Programs like these  > help everyone's kids because they bring bright, motivated people  into  > the classroom.  Here's to hoping Maryland will do more of this. >  > Tom >  > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, RSYOSH@a.. wrote: > > > >   > > In a message dated 10/30/2005 4:29:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,   > > tneumark2000@y... writes: > >  > > ·  Maryland's latest staffing report has declared teacher > > shortage in all 24  districts and a shortage of male and minority > > teachers. This shortage has  persisted for years, and is  especially > > dire in math and  science. > >  > >  > >       > >    > > ____________________________________ > >   > > Last week I was at a presentation where teachers in the  "Troops  to  > Teachers"  > > in Maryland were honored. The program began in  Maryland in 1994  > and  > > definitely targets some on the problem areas you  mention -  > retiring military  > > personnel are trained and certified to be  teachers specifically  in  > the "difficult"  > > schools. The retention rate is  higher than avg, the "troops"  tend  > to be male,  > > often qualified in math and  science, and many are minorities. > > - Becky > > Background  > > Troops to Teachers (TTT) was established in 1994 as a Department  > of  Defense  > > program. The National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2000   > transferred the  > > responsibility for program oversight and funding to the  U.S.  > Department of  > > Education but continued operation by the Department of  Defense.  > The No Child  > > Left Behind Act of 2001 provides for the  continuation of TTT  > through Fiscal Year  > > (FY) 2006. TTT is managed by the  Defense Activity for Non- > Traditional  > > Education Support (DANTES),  Pensacola, Florida.    > > ____________________________________ > >   Goal and Objectives  > > Reflecting the focus of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001,  the   > primary  > > objective of TTT is to help recruit quality teachers for  schools   > that serve  > > students from low-income families throughout America. TTT helps   > relieve teacher  > > shortages, especially in math, science, special education  and  > other critical  > > subject areas, and assists military personnel in making   successful  > > transitions to second careers in  teaching. > > >       ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->  <FONT COLOR="#000099">DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a  student project today! </FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/G7lQgA/FpQLAA/HwKMAA/jyXolB/TM"><B>Click  Here!</B></A> --------------------------------------------------------------------~->   This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.  All original messages posted  here are placed in the public domain unless the poster states otherwise.  Re-published messages (i.e. newspaper articles) retain their original copyright  status.  Yahoo! Groups Links  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/howardpubliced/  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     howardpubliced-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1 6:10 AM
                ???
                looks like a natural fit to me
                - Becky

[...]

                Secondary school educationHome school educationHigh school education
                School education in californiaPre school educationSchool education ohio

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1 6:56 AM
                  yep, it does.

                  and no one would turn away qualified volunteers.  Thank goodness for the good souls among us,

                  Unfortunately - we rely entirely too much on "the kindness of strangers" to fill the needs of our society.   I think our current administration calls them "faith based initiatives" ---

                  Teachers?  Oh, they do it because they love it.  That's their reward - that and the warm fuzzy feeling from the knowledge that they helped a child achieve his potential.  Besides, most of them are somebody's wife, so she doesn't really ?need" to make that much money.   Yeah, that's right - "we" should pay people based on what they "need" to make.

                  Funny, that logic has prevailed for centuries when it comes to teachers - but when it was suggested for social security reform --- whoaa doggy!

                  But, hey - it works great for the CEO types among us - I mean, what they actually "do" isn't really worth hundreds of millions of dollars - per year - but they have soo many expenses.... they need to make all that money.

                  Seriously, though, I love the idea of making it possible for these qualified and motivated folks to enter Americas classrooms without jerking them around ad infinitum to get enough indoctrination .. oops I mean training .... to "teach".

                  The question of how to fairly compensate them  - and all the others - is another topic.

                  cindy v.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1 7:07 AM
                    Sure no problem!!

                    Does Bacteriology equal Micobiology. In the real world - yes, but not
                    to evaluators. Do separate courses in Anatomy and Physiology meet a
                    combined Anatomy/Physiology. How does independent study/research for
                    thesis credit count for expertise in an area? Does college teaching
                    in an area equal couse work for certification? It is quite possible
                    for one to teach an upper division class for a major/minor requirement
                    for students but not be able to count that teaching of the course for
                    one's own certification. How does college teaching rate for seniority
                    in the K12 environment?

                    BobR
                    --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "cynthia vaillancourt"

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 1 7:28 AM
                      Thanks Bob.

                      "Real world" examples of the screwiness of the "check off the box" approach to evaluating competence make the point more clearly than a theoretical argument.

                      A full class on Anatomy plus a full class on physiology surely equates to a fuller and more indepth coverage of both topics --- but if the person checking off the boxes needs to see the single course entitled "anatomy and physiology" - well, that's that.

                      In fact - one might even determine that this candidate is really poorly suited for a career in education since he clearly cannot follow the program and take only the correct courses to be able to fill in his boxes!

                      Another question about the practical impact of this silliness

                      While we are waiting to find the "perfect" candidate - the one with the right number of boxes checked off --- especially for the hard to fill science and math positions....

                      who fills the teaching positions?

                      A candidate with the appropriate boxes checked of to be a highly qualified typing teacher?

                      Cindy V.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 1 7:35 AM
                        When you figure it out,let me know.
                        From my on-going adventures, most people need to look to unpaid and minimum-paid opportunities to develop experience.
                        Career changes are particularly tough. How many opportunities are there for ex-military to jump into civilian work? Not a lot.
                        The government is full of low-paying jobs - that's what keeps your income taxes from looking like Sweden's.

                        - Becky
                        currently working 2 unpaid legal internships in government,
                        & training as a pro-bono settlement conference facillitator

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 1 6:46 PM
                          --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "bobrosebrough21045"
                          <bobrosebrough21045@y...> wrote:

                          > Does college teaching
                          > in an area equal couse work for certification? It is quite possible
                          > for one to teach an upper division class for a major/minor
                          > requirement for students but not be able to count that teaching of
                          > the course for one's own certification. How does college teaching
                          > rate for seniority
                          > in the K12 environment?

                          The state does not recognize teaching experience at the university
                          level or even in the private schools. It doesn't matter if you have
                          taught third grade for a decade in a private school. To become a
                          public school teacher you would need to complete 180-270 hours of study
                          and complete an internship. But the person just out of college with a
                          nine week internship and an education degree is considered fully
                          qualified. It just doesn't make sense.

                          Tom Neumark
                        • RSYOSH@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 2 3:02 AM
                            Maryland has been very slow and cautious when it comes to charter schools. While charter schools can have a down side (and I'm not going into THAT discussion), the upside is the flexibility to work "outside the box".
                            When we were living in Southern CA 10+ years ago, one of the middle schools in the district we were in was converted to a charter school. It still is a charter school (my niece's son is now there).
                            The school can hire non-certified teachers, much like a private school. They got some incredible talent the first year, including a teacher with multiple gradute degrees who was still mid-way through the process of getting certified.

                            - Becky
                            Until governments and conservative institutions like schools start to think outside the box, they will continue to not attract and get the most out of the brightest and the best.

                            Sue Medicus and Don Berry
                            301-725-5835
                            berryfolks@...

                          • tneumark2000
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 2 1:12 PM
                              --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, RSYOSH@a... wrote:

                              > Maryland has been very slow and cautious when it comes to charter
                              schools.
                              > While charter schools can have a down side (and I'm not going into
                              THAT
                              > discussion), the upside is the flexibility to work "outside the
                              box".
                              > When we were living in Southern CA 10+ years ago, one of the middle
                              schools
                              > in the district we were in was converted to a charter school. It
                              still is a
                              > charter school (my niece's son is now there).
                              > The school can hire non-certified teachers, much like a private
                              school. They
                              > got some incredible talent the first year, including a teacher
                              with multiple
                              > gradute degrees who was still mid-way through the process of
                              getting
                              > certified.
                              >
                              > - Becky

                              That's so typical! I know of a teacher in California whose mother is
                              an elected representative in the Maryland legislature. He went to
                              Stanford and got a degree in mechanical engineering, but decided to
                              become a teacher. He actually had to get a waiver because his math
                              classes were too advanced, and he didn't have the right courses
                              listed on his transcript.

                              Tom Neumark
                            • Sue Medicus and Don Berry
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 30 7:18 PM
                                It's fascinating how teachers  (":professionals!") are treated

                                My son has a teacher this year who has been a private school teacher for years

                                This mature woman, because she has not been a teacher in Howard County, is not trusted to be mature enough to run a field trip this year, perhaps not even next.

                                So, because of that, an annual trip to New York and every two year trip to Montreal won't happen.

                                Of course, another "experienced" teacher could go along and then the trip is ok.  Go figure!

                                There are archaic rules that people have to make themselves feel important.

                                Until governments and conservative institutions like schools start to think outside the box, they will continue to not attract and get the most out of the brightest and the best.

                                Sue Medicus and Don Berry
                                301-725-5835
                                berryfolks@...
                                > in an area equal couse work for certification?  It is quite possible
                                > for one to teach an upper division class for a major/minor
                                > requirement for students but not be able to count that teaching of
                                > the course for one's own certification. How does college teaching
                                > rate for seniority
                                > in the K12 environment?

                                The state does not recognize teaching experience at the university
                                level or even in the private schools.  It doesn't matter if you have
                                taught third grade for a decade in a private school.  To become a
                                public school teacher you would need to complete 180-270 hours of study
                                and complete an internship.  But the person just out of college with a
                                nine week internship and an education degree is considered fully
                                qualified.  It just doesn't make sense.

                                Tom Neumark

                                Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!