MRHS

  • jjudgejudy
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
      Why was it built on that property? Does any one know?
    • bobrosebrough21045
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
        Easy - the land was available and owned by the HCPSS. I can't blame
        the system for using the site as the going rate of 100,000/acre would
        have added about 4-5 million onto the price.

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "jjudgejudy" <ang10311@y...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
          Yes but whose horse is it?
        • bobrosebrough21045
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 24, 2004
            Congratulations to Ms. Watson for steering the BOE into making
            difficult but necessary decisions on redistricting. She had a
            wonderful sense of the educational and political necessity of
            filling MR.

            --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, "bobrosebrough21045"

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 27, 2004
              But is it filled? 571 students are scheduled to attend there, minus
              the 29 trifecta kids. Its not looking filled to me. Oh yes Open
              Enrollment. Ha!

              It was built there because land was purchased there years ago and
              someone was determined to make good on that purchase. Spending $50
              million dollars to build a school were geographically it is
              impossible to relieve the northeast or east was feed to Mr O'Rouke's
              by ?. I don't believe, Mr Venter was as convinced to build it there
              as Mr. O'Rouke? Why was Mr Venter fired, again?

              Shame on the Board, with all the redistricting experience they've
              had is it too much to ask for some foresight? Ahh,yes the BOE was
              driven by fiscal responsibility. It saved taxpayer money. But,
              spending an additional $5 million to build a school were it would
              benefit the most students would have been well worth the taxpayer
              money. Just ask the folks in the east and northeast. After MRHS
              opens in 2005 there will be at least 3 or 4 schools that will still
              be over crowded. Five schools if you include Glenelg. I just don't
              get it.

            • RSYOSH@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 27, 2004

                --
                keep in mind that 571 students are over 2 years. Double that and add the
                growth when the new Turf Valley project (plus other smaller projects in the area)

                - Becky

              • bobrosebrough21045
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 28, 2004
                  Look:
                  This topic (location of the 12th) was beat to death a couple of
                  years ago. In summary, there were no parcels in the east/northeast
                  suitable for a high school. In addition, planning and zoning was
                  not interested in taking 50 aces off the commercial tax rolls for a
                  high school. Yes, the BOE could have been more resourceful 15 yr
                  ago and appropriated the U of MD horse farm. By the way, five
                  million is a low ball figure for land suitable for housing
                  development and nowhere near accurate for land zoned commercial
                  (Snowden River and Rt 100). What is unacceptable is any open
                  enrollment to the 12th as rigorous redistricting would solve the
                  problem of populating the school.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2004
                    My point is that they didn't try hard enough, they failed the
                    county. They could have swapped the land or they could have waited.
                    The BOE/DOE looked into land on the east side and found every site
                    unacceptable (Cider Mill Farm?). Cousins was part of that 2 years
                    ago. And why wasn't any pressure put on Planning and Zoning? If the
                    school was (and is still) needed in the East, they needed to think
                    outside of the box! And not accept blah, blah, blah answers. Why did
                    they give up so easily ? Why was it so neccessary to build it at
                    that location? Didn't it waste more taxpayer money than it saved?
                    Especially when Glenelg gets there addition. How many open seats
                    will there be in the West? The new Turf Valley development won't be
                    up and running until 2007 and by 2013 it may produce 93 high age
                    students. Those are Drown's number. East/West equitity issues? Ha.

                    Marriotts Ridge doesnot help those students and future students that
                    are in overcrowded schools in the east. Its was impossible for the
                    BOE to go further east this round and it'll be impossible next time
                    unless they create a dumb bell polygon through Frederick Road/Route
                    40. That still won't give the Elkridge/Ilchester/Worthington
                    communities their neighborhood high school.

                    High Schools should be filled with neighboring communities. The
                    communities support and nourish the school. They should not be
                    filled with open enrollments or with communities that have closer
                    high schools right down the street.

                    No I don't live in the Fairways or Valley Mede and yes my children
                    are going to Marriotts Ridge. I really don't mind. We could easily
                    have been redistricted to Glenelg when the addition is built.

                    The cons of the actual site were debated at length but not west
                    verses the east location issues.

                    Either they failed us or they're not telling us the real reason.
                    After all it would have been in Planning and Zonning interest to
                    have put the school in the east. Are they using the school as part
                    of their Smart Growth for expansion of the Planned Service Area?

                    I don't know! And I still don't get it!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
                      In a message dated 12/2/2004 10:26:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      ang10311@... writes:

                      > Either they failed us or they're not telling us the real reason.
                      > After all it would have been in Planning and Zonning interest to
                      > have put the school in the east. Are they using the school as part
                      > of their Smart Growth for expansion of the Planned Service Area?
                      >
                      > I don't know! And I still don't get it!

                      --
                      I suggest you write to Courtney Watson .. she is very responsive to emails
                      and she has been involved from the beginning in advocating for a new HS. She

                      - Becky