RE: [howardpubliced] howardpubiced is a PUBLIC FORUM

  • RLJ
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
      The archives have always been public; people have posted with that in mind.
      Therefore, I don't see privacy concerns - especially since the protection
      afforded by members-only archives is minimal anyway, given that anyone can
      join and thus gain access to the archives.

      I, too, vote for the archives to remain public.

      Thanks for your moderation, Bob.

      Rebecca Johnson

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Doing the right thing is easy. It's
      knowing what the right thing is that's
      the difficult part.
      Lyndon Baines Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Cassie Kilroy Thompson
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
        I too wish to see the archives remain open to the public and not just list
        members. And with that in mind, I retract my vote to not allow anonymous
        posting and hereby apologize for being so impulsive in my response
        concerning Mr. Jones. Just as with others on this list (myself included),
        Mr. Jones and/or Mr. Smith are free to hang themselves with their messages.
        But can we call it howardpubliced (put the L back in pubic?) ;-0 (Just
        teasing, I can't type either!)
        --
        Cassie

      • rgoodri973@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
          In a message dated 4/1/2004 12:04:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          ebecca@... writes:
          The archives have always been public; people have posted with that in mind.
          Therefore, I don't see privacy concerns - especially since the protection
          afforded by members-only archives is minimal anyway, given that anyone can
          join and thus gain access to the archives.

          I, too, vote for the archives to remain public.

          Thanks for your moderation, Bob.

          Rebecca Johnson
          Excellent points ... I concur.
          Diane G.

        • RLJ
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2004
            I don't have a problem with anonymous posts, but this might be a good time
            to say (again) that I do have a problem with abusive messages. Personal
            attacks and other abuse steer the discussion away from productive attempts
            to solve the problems at hand. I think that for this list to have real
            credibility and value, the discussions must remain constructive, not
            destructive. There have been numerous complaints in the past about
            inappropriate posts. From the rules posted recently, it appears that the
            moderator is attempting maintain a high level of discourse. I hope that the
            moderator will follow through on this.

            Rebecca J.

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Doing the right thing is easy. It's
            knowing what the right thing is that's
            the difficult part.
            Lyndon Baines Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • howardcountyparent
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
              OK! UNCLE!!!

              You've got my attention in this issue.

              I do no not have time to respond in full now, but there's one
              point I felt needed to be clarified.

              HOWARDPUBLICED IS a public forum. 'Anyone' can join (enter the
              door). There are no restrictions on membership or fees to paid at the
              door. Also, messages do not require approval by a moderator prior to
              posting.

              Robert L. Clark
              HOWARDPUBLICED Owner/Moderator

              <+> EDUCATION - The Final Frontier <+>
            • perlpubl
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                Bob,

                I'm joining Diane, Cassie, Rebecca and others in requesting you
                leave the archives open to the public.

                By closing the archives to the public you are forcing people to
                supply at least an e-mail address to view information. While this
                may not seem like a big deal, it is.

                Suppose public officials want to monitor this forum -- they need
                to either sign up as themselves (ex: gguzzone@... /
                akittleman@...) or be forced to use an alias -- this
                could be viewed as a potential liability for a public person.

                Private individuals may also desire not to share their private
                e-mail addresses for a variety of reasons.

                I see significant reasons for keeping information open to the
                public, but I'm having trouble seeing the benefits in closing the
                archives to the public.

                Barry Tevelow

                --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, rgoodri973@a...

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2004
                  Dear Mr. CLark-

                  I have already stated my hope that the archives will be left open to non-members to peruse. I am personally aware that there are public officials - and reporters from news organizations - both local and national - who peek in on occassion.

                  Unless it is your intent that these folks only receive information filtered through official channels - then please reopen the archives.

                  Respectfully,

                  Cindy Vaillancourt
                  ----- Origin

                  al Message -----

                  wrote:
                  > In a message dated 4/1/2004 12:04:26 PM Eastern Standard
                  Time,
                  > ebecca@c... writes:
                  > The archives have always been public; people have posted
                  with that in mind.
                  > Therefore, I don't see privacy concerns - especially since the
                  protection
                  > afforded by members-only archives is minimal anyway, given
                  that anyone can
                  > join and thus gain access to the archives.
                  >
                  > I, too, vote for the archives to remain public.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your moderation, Bob.
                  >

                  > Rebecca Johnson
                  > Excellent points ... I concur.
                  > Diane G.

                  This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.
                  To unsubscribe from this list, send an e-mail to:
                  To send a message to the mailing list owner, send
                  an e-mail to:
                  howardpubliced-owner@egroups.com
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • RLJ
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2004
                    One more thought: Should there be concerns about privacy or other
                    inappropriate content in an individual message, it is very easy for the
                    moderator to purge that message (or even a series of messages) from the
                    Archives. Also, people can purge their own messages from the archives.

                    I think there are strong advantages, already stated by others, to leaving
                    the archives public, and I hope that Mr. Clark will restore their public
                    status soon. Thanks.

                    Rebecca J.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 17, 2010
                      It seemed quiet in here since my last post so I thought I would bring forth some wisdom from howardpubliced's past .

                      Jack