Re: water in class

  • joan_pontius
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
      machines with water?
      aren't there water fountains?

    • RSYOSH@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
        In a message dated 12/1/03 9:47:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, joan_pontius@... writes:

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, Mark1016@a... wrote:
        >RHHS kids can take water to class anytime. They also have fully stocked
        >machines with water that can be purchased, along with soda and juices.
        >
        >Mark Mangus

        How about milk?

        I think I might have mentioned (but if not ...) my daughter's Jr High in CA replaced one of the soda machines with a machine stocked with milk.  It wasn't long before they had to increase the number of deliveries per week, because the milk machine kept running out.

        A recent Cornell study (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/06/030626235716.htm)  found that :
           -Children who drank more than 16 ounces a day of sweetened drinks consumed four fewer ounces of milk a day than children who avoided sweetened drinks -- and they obtained 20 percent less phosphorus, 19 percent less protein and magnesium, 16 percent less calcium and 10 percent less vitamin A per day.
           - Children consuming sweetened drinks took in 244 more calories a day than on days when they did not drink these beverages. Their solid food intake on these two occasions varied only by about 2 ounces.
           - Over the two months of the study, children who drank more than 16 ounces a day of sweetened beverages gained an average of 2.5 pounds, compared with a 0.7 to 1 pound gain in children who consumed on average 6 to 16 ounces of sweetened drinks a day.

        Meanwhile - having a water bottle on the desk makes lots of sense - less disruptive than running to a water fountain during class and more hygenic as well (esp with cold & flu season here!) Maybe the schools could allow plain water OR milk (but not soda) in class?

        - Becky

      • joan_pontius
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
          bottled water makes a lot of trash, and I don't see
          why anyone should pay to drink water. I know at Centennial
          on the sports fields, they have glorious vending
          machines with water bottles, a field trashed
          with empty bottles, but no water fountains.

          milk consumption can lead to auto immune diseases
          such as diabetes and not all students are lactose tolerant.

          I would argue that a cold water streaming from a
          fountain is more hygenic than water sitting in a bottle
          all day at room temperature with backwash. not to mention
          the leaching of polywhatevers used in making the plastic bottles.

        • Mark1016@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
            Joan,
            Of course their are fountains but they aren't "cool". Fountains have proven to have germ problems as well as some schools (older ones) have lead in the water. Balto City had to close down all fountains in the schools.

            The machines have the highly popular bottled water for purchase. In my daughter's case, we have a Pur filter on our faucet and she fills a huge bottle and takes it with her. She drinks a large amount of water everyday as the doctor recommended.

            Mark Mangus

          • joanpontius
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 1, 2003
              i've heard of the lead problem in baltimore
              but where was the germ problem??