(W Post, 3/2) Voters' Guide: Virginia Charles

  • Diana Talabac
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2000
      [URL =
      http://washingtonpost.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=m
      etro/vg&startingRow=1&nextstep=race&jcode=MD&ocode=SB&lcode=00027&dcode=01#B
      ounds3?pagename=metro/vg&startingRow=1&nextstep=race&jcode=MD&ocode=SB&lcode
      =00027&dcode=01]

      Virginia Charles

      Age: 53

      Residence: Laurel

      Education: BS biology, Denison University; MAT, Johns Hopkins University;
      Advanced Professional Teaching Certificate for grades 5-12 in biology,
      chemistry, earth science,
      general science.

      Occupation: Former science teacher in Baltimore City and Baltimore County.

      Elected Offices/Civic Activities: President, PTA Council of Howard County
      (1996); president
      Hammond Middle School PTA (1994); vice president, Hammond Middle and Long
      Reach High
      School PTAs; delegate, PTAHC; member, legislative, budget, parental
      involvement and bylaws
      committee, PTAHC; Maryland and Federal Laboratory Advisory Committees (10
      years).

      Family: Married; one child.

      Why should the voters elect you?
      "I care passionately about the education of children-all children. I have
      spent over 13 years as a
      science teacher encouraging knowledge and reason and 13 years as a
      volunteer and community
      activist. I have an excellent educational background, so I will not be
      overwhelmed by the
      'educational professional.' I am hard-working, conscientious, creative,
      and I really listen courteously
      to everybody before I make a decision. It does not matter how good my
      ideas are-it takes two other
      votes on the BOE to pass any idea. Working agreeably and inclusively with
      others is one of my
      major strengths."

      What would you like voters to know about you?
      "For the past 13 years, I have spent 30 to 40 hours per week volunteering
      in the schools of Howard
      County."

      E-Mail Address: charles4children@...