West Friendship meeting 2/11 7:PM

  • steve-jen l swanhart
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2003
      A meeting of citizens to discuss the need for a new Elementary School in
      the west.
      I will try to forward what I hear.
      Steve
    • rit21042 <athierer@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2003
        There is a new elementary school for the west in the Capital budget.
        It is scheduled to open in 2006. As well as another new ES in the
        northeast and a third new ES.
        Also in the capital budget are numerous additions to existing
        schools. They are all desperately needed because the schools already
        contain enough students to fill them and new building continues. And
        existing houses are sold to new families with school age children.
        Each year the school system grows by 1000 children. That would fill 2
        traditional ES. We are moving to super sized ES. Instead of 434
        students (grades1-5) to a ES we will be expanding our current ES to
        634 students with little or no improvement to core space, just new
        classrooms & an enlarged cafeteria. The PE classes will continue to
        use the cafeterias & hallways for PE classes. The other related arts
        classes will prob move to AB rotations. I understand that has
        already happened at Hollifield. Can someone from Hollifield comment?
        That Steve, is why the increase in excise tax is desperately needed.
        The capital budget is planning for all this building but the funding
        will not materialize without additional funds.

        Why are we in this desperate situation? For years people (read Mo
        Kalin) expected population to level off & drop by 2005. IT DID NOT
        AND WILL NOT HAPPEN. The county exec(read Chuck Ecker) went with
        these faulty predictions and new schools were delayed or cancelled.
        Growth did not & will not stop. Older citizens in the east are
        subdividing their lots, building new houses and then selling their
        house. Where you had one house with no children in schools you now
        have 2, 3 or I have heard up to 7 houses in one case. And you may
        bet that all of them either have children in the schools already or
        will within the next few years. Sale of houses bring children into
        the system. It makes sense to assess them for the capital additions
        that are needed. The building will not stop and I agree with you
        steve that a farmer has a right to sell his land for the most he can
        get. But as a county we have to provide for the infrastructure that
        all those houses need.
        RIT (daughter & sister of farmers)

        --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, steve-jen l swanhart
        <sjswanhart@j...> wrote:
        > A meeting of citizens to discuss the need for a new Elementary
        School in
        > the west.
        > I will try to forward what I hear.
        > Steve
      • robert w rosebrough
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2003
          Rosa:

          You need to mention that selling one's property is, as Steve mentioned,
          an individual right. That right, however, doesn't extend to a collective
          reponsibility by the rest of us to provide services gratis. You know the
          old thingie - rights plus responsibility. On an anecdotal note, friends
          of ours are thinking of having a home built on some property near the
          corner of Centennial and 108 (space for 10 homes of one-half acre each).
          Get the message - smart growth (in fill in the east) - the gift that
          keeps on giving.

          On another note - I dug out some old settlement papers on home purchases
          and refinancings. Talk about a bunch of junk fees!! At least with an
          increase in the transfer tax, I could say that I had some stake in a
          school rather than partaking in a rip off (courier fee $100, title search
          $250, recording fee $100, loan origination fee 1% , points to secure a
          loan, blah, blah, etc)

          On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 20:01:44 -0000 "rit21042 <athierer@...>"
          <athierer@...> writes:

> [...]
          > will within the next few years. Sale of houses bring children into
          >
          > the system. It makes sense to assess them for the capital additions
          >
          > that are needed. The building will not stop and I agree with you
          > steve that a farmer has a right to sell his land for the most he can
          >
          > get. But as a county we have to provide for the infrastructure that
          >
          > all those houses need.
          > RIT (daughter & sister of farmers)
          >

          > --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, steve-jen l swanhart
          > <sjswanhart@j...> wrote:
          > > A meeting of citizens to discuss the need for a new Elementary
          > School in
          > > the west.
          > > I will try to forward what I hear.
          > > Steve
          >

          > This is the Howard Public Education Mailing List.
          > To unsubscribe from this list, send an e-mail to:
          > To send a message to the mailing list owner, send

          Only $9.95 per month!
          Visit www.juno.com
        • steve-jen l swanhart
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2003
            WE,
            Thank you for agreeing that farmers are not the problem. However your
            logic is faulty, just because we need more classrooms doesn't mean we
            need to fund them with an (excise) transfer tax!
            Taxing new comers and growing families will not make residents stand up
            and demand accountability! All it the transfer tax will do is shift the
            burden and blame away from the officials WE elected.
            I applaud the fore site of a homeowner that bought a double lot as an
            investment, I'm sure some here are envious of them when they compare it
            to their 401k.
            WE elected officials who WE told what to do and WE all should pay for
            that. Every year when WE pay that $100 tax for schoolsWE will pay
            attention to what WE are getting for our votes.
            participate in Government and take responsibility,
            Steve

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2003
              On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:25:01 -0500 robert w rosebrough
              <bobrosebrough@...> writes:
              > You need to mention that selling one's property is, as Steve mentioned,
              > an individual right. That right, however, doesn't extend to a
              collective
              > responsibility by the rest of us to provide services gratis. You know
              the
              > old thingie - rights plus responsibility.

              Bob,
              Individaul rights are the collective responsibility of the whole! That is
              what makes America great.
              The idea that home buyers are to become a separate and less equal
              subservient class in repugnant to me.
              Steve
            • joan_pontius <joan_pontius@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                no one ever questioned anyone's individual rights
                to buy or to sell. What was questioned was whether the government
                has the right to adjust taxes to provide for public services.
                In this case, the govt is responding to the costs of community
                growth with a taxof the expenditures leading to the demand on growth.
                It makes more sense than charging smokers for schools.
                And Steve your proposal would make the poor
                the subservient class. Gee, but it's their
                fault for being poor i guess. that'll teach em.
                Maybe if we keep upping the taxes on the poor,
                there will be less of them. They'll all change their
                ways and start being rich.

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                  Why do you equate not having
                  a house with being careless.

                  --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, steve-jen l swanhart
                  > saves,and the other parties every night,who do you think will be able to
                  > buy a house someday? Why punish the family that is trying and reward the
                  > careless.
                • steve-jen l swanhart
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                    > And Steve your proposal would make the poor
                    > the subservient class. Gee, but it's their
                    > fault for being poor i guess. that'll teach em.
                    > Maybe if we keep upping the taxes on the poor,
                    > there will be less of them. They'll all change their
                    > ways and start being rich.

                    Joan,
                    The fact is there will always be poor, there always have. What is
                    different today is that everyone has a chance at a public education
                    today. It is what each person chooses to do with what chance that
                    determines there ability to earn. YES if most of the "poor" would change
                    there ways they wouldn't be "poor" anymore.
                    If you had two laborers with families living side by side and one family
                    saves,and the other parties every night,who do you think will be able to
                    buy a house someday? Why punish the family that is trying and reward the
                    careless.
                    So as long as we treat some people as less equal by holding them less
                    responsible for there own actions they will be a subservient class.
                    Steve
                    I honestly think some Liberal treat the "poor" more like pets than
                    people.
                  • joan_pontius <joan_pontius@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                      Have you compared how many resources homeowners
                      and car owners use compared to people who live
                      in apartments and use public transportation ???

                    • bobrosebrough21045 <bobrosebrough21045@y
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                        Let me see if I can get this into some sort of parallel (although I
                        abhor this type of argumentation). I view the Robey proposal as the
                        creation of a trust fund for school construction. There exists two
                        trust funds that benefit those of us who hunt or fish (Pitman-
                        Robertson and Dingel-Johnson). These collect, respectively, 11% on
                        Firearms and ammunition and 7% on fishing equipment and are used for
                        wildlife restoration and sport fishing conservation and habitat
                        improvement, again respectively. Both trust funds were initiated at
                        the insistence of hunters and fishermen, although the benefits were
                        more far ranging. How do you put a cost-benefit ratio on water
                        quality even if that quality was for trout? The key to the success
                        of both trust funds has been rigid enforcement of the use of money in
                        both trust funds. Similarly, the Robey fund will fly only if the
                        money is reserved for school construction and not be a goodie bag for
                        budget voodoo (ie Ehrlich and state transportation funds).
                      • steve-jen l swanhart
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003

                        • wideawakek <WideawakeK@aol.com>
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                            Talk about wanting something without paying for it!

                            Those "junk fees" are reasonable charges for a service. Some brokers
                            charge excessive amounts. Most do not. I find that the public (I'm
                            not saying you) doesn't understand what they are paying for when they
                            get a loan, and they therefore think it's not a worthy charge.

                            --- In howardpubliced@yahoogroups.com, robert w rosebrough

                          • steve-jen l swanhart
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                              Joan,
                              I have no idea what tangent you are on. Resources as is financial (cash)
                              for down payment and closing cost thats what Robey wants to put just that
                              more out of reach of the "poor".
                              The first step for a "poor" family to increase their wealth and financial
                              out look is to buy a house!
                              Of course upon doing that some think they are suddenly rich and should be
                              despised?
                              Steve
                              On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 13:48:00 -0000 "Joan_Pontius

                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 3, 2003
                                From Realty times.com

                                Avoiding The "Junk" Fees at Settlement

                                by Benny L. Kass

                                Question: We recently purchased a house , and believe that we paid a lot of unnecessary – and possibly duplicative – fees when we went to settlement. The settlement attorney admitted that many of the items were called “junk” or “garbage” fees in the industry, but since they were standard and customary, we had to pay them. Enclosed is our settlement statement; which fees can we avoid when we next go to closing?

                                Answer: Every year, someone from the mortgage industry – or from the Department of Housing and Urban Development -- issues a call for the elimination of a lot of the unnecessary fees which consumers have to pay at settlement. Unfortunately, very little ever comes from those calls, and nothing seems to have changed in many years. In fact, it seems that every year, more fees are added to the list.

                                Here are some of the fees which, in my opinion, are either unnecessary or inflated. The numbers next to each fee corresponds to the line item number on the HUD-1 Settlement Statement:

                                Appraisal fee (803): clearly, a lender wants to know that the property on which a loan will be made is worth more than the loan. However, if for example, last year you obtained a loan and are refinancing this year, there is absolutely no reason to have to pay for another full appraisal.

                                MY SIDEBAR Why is a windshield appraisal fee of $300 legit?  ie Windshield appraisal - drive by and see if house is on the lot

                                Underwriting fee (808): will someone tell me what an underwriter really does? Theoretically, when a mortgage company brokers (sells) a loan to the company that will actually make the mortgage loan, the lender wants to make sure that everything is in order. The lender double checks the various verifications (employment, income) and makes a determination whether or not to make the loan. This process is done by an underwriter. Several years ago, I made the comment that this is a mythical concept, and nothing has changed my mind to date. There is, in my opinion, absolutely no reason for the consumer-borrower to have to pay anywhere from $200 to $400 for an underwriting fee.

                                Tax service fee: (809). Lenders – claiming that they are trying to protect their borrowers from losing their property at tax sales – usually demand that the borrowers escrow money for real estate taxes and insurance. The borrower on a monthly basis pays one twelfth of the yearly real estate tax and insurance premium to the lender, who then – at the appropriate time -- pays the tax and the insurance bill. To my knowledge, few if any lenders pay any interest on these escrowed funds; lenders make a lot of money on the funds they hold. However, to add insult to injury, at closing, the borrower is required to pay a one-time “tax service fee”, in an amount which ranges from $65-75. Presumably, this fee is to reimburse the lender for the cost of handling and paying the escrow amounts to the taxing authority and to the insurance companies.

                                Processing fee: (810) Not only does the mortgage broker generally receive a fee from the actual lender but the borrower is also charged a fee for “processing” the loan.

                                Flood certification fee: in order to comply with federal regulations and secondary mortgage requirements, lenders are required to obtain a certification from a surveyor that the property is (or is not) in a flood hazard area. Clearly, this is important information for a lender to have. But there is no reason to charge a borrower amounts ranging from $15-$30 in order to obtain such certification.

                                Real estate brokers administrative fee: in my opinion, this is perhaps the most outrageous fee charged at settlement. In recent years, some real estate brokerage firms – not being satisfied with the real estate commission they earn when settlement takes place – have begun to charge a fee ( usually $195) to both buyer and seller. The real estate companies call it an “administrative” fee. I call it simply a waste of money. Many real estate agents and brokers who work for the firms which charge this fee are so embarrassed about this practice that they pay the fee themselves, rather than impose it on their customers.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003
                                  Steve,

                                  The Tangent I am on is to try to find out what
                                  tangent you are on. You said that people who
                                  aren't buying houses are careless. And if you
                                  are buying a house, that means you are trying.
                                  I guess when a family gets divorced and suddenly
                                  needs two houses, that makes them responsible
                                  in your book? I was asking for clarification
                                  of your tangent. I still don't think I
                                  quite understand.

                                  So now are you saying that taxing
                                  someone makes them prone to being despised???

                                  <sjswanhart@j...> wrote:
                                  > Joan,
                                  > I have no idea what tangent you are on. Resources as is financial (cash)
                                  > for down payment and closing cost thats what Robey wants to put just
                                  that
                                  > more out of reach of the "poor".
                                  > The first step for a "poor" family to increase their wealth and
                                  financial
                                  > out look is to buy a house!
                                  > Of course upon doing that some think they are suddenly rich and
                                  should be
                                  > despised?
                                • steve-jen l swanhart
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003
                                    Joan,
                                    You have mastered the art of "understatement".
                                    Steve
                                    On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:57:58 -0000 "joanpontius <joanpontius@...>"
                                    <joanpontius@...> writes:
                                    > Steve,
                                    . I still don't think I

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 4, 2003
                                      Bob,
                                      Thank you for posting the fee info. Wouldn't it be nice if our property
                                      tax statement itemized where our money goes also?
                                      Then we could have this same discussion about spending priorities. Like
                                      how much goes to the police union contract and how many officers man the
                                      polls for Robey every election.
                                      Steve