Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: what's it all about--alfieee..

Expand Messages
  • rit21042
    From the CHS Freshman Manual: Since you have many different subjects & Teachers in CHS organization is very important. Teachers will assist you with this
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
      From the CHS Freshman Manual:

      Since you have many different subjects & Teachers in CHS organization
      is very important. Teachers will assist you with this organization
      by developing a consistent systematic procedure for keeping all
      classwork together. Therefore, requirements include:

      (bullet) A three ring loose-leaf binder for each subject

      (bullet) Loose-leaf subject dividers for each binder


      At a freshman parent meeting, I brought up the fact that 7 (the
      number of classes each student at Centennial takes) notebooks were
      excessive and why couldn't one notebook be used for more than one
      course. The response from the teacher making the presentation was
      that notebooks did not have to be large, they could be 1/2 inch 3
      ring binders. The teacher was supported by an "idiot" parent who
      insisted that I misread the above. Having had another child go thru
      CHS I know better than to follow the letter of the law. My child has
      two zippered binders for her 7 classes. My eldest would not have
      been ready for a 3 ring binder for organization at any time in his HS
      career so we did our own thing with multi-pocket folders. He rarely
      took notes at school because that is not his learning style. If he
      listens he remembers. If he tries to take notes he can't listen &
      therefore doesn't learn. Result teachers had issues with him but he
      got 5's on 10 out of 11 AP exams he took, a 4 on the other one (SOPH
      level US Gov't)One Ap was Literature & Comp which he was told he
      should not take because the English course he took did not cover the
      subject matter.
      RIT




      --- In howardpubliced@y..., "joan_pontius" <joan_pontius@y...> wrote:
      >
      > i'm not saying not to have a notebook
      > just to use the same one for all classes.
      >
      > --- In howardpubliced@y..., maureensmom@a... wrote:
      > >
      > > Joan,
      > >
      > > No notebook in one of Maureen's classes equaled no textbook. No
      > textbook, no way to do the homework. No homework, no excuses, no
      > credit.
      > >
      > > Melody
    • maureensmom@aol.com
      That is the point, they all want a separate notebook for each class. Melody
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
        That is the point, they all want a separate notebook for each class.

        Melody
      • joan_pontius
        why?
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
          why?
          --- In howardpubliced@y..., maureensmom@a... wrote:
          > That is the point, they all want a separate notebook for each class.
          >
          > Melody
        • maureensmom@aol.com
          I don t have any idea why they have to have separate notebooks. It must be a new, but unadvertised requirement because on the first day of school, Maureen
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
            I don't have any idea why they have to have separate notebooks. It must be a new, but unadvertised requirement because on the first day of school, Maureen comes home with this piece of news. So off to Target we go and don't you know, every kid in a 20 mile radius is there looking for notebooks. I heard the mumblings of parents saying they don't understand why they have to have separate notebooks. So, I can't answer why, but if they don't have them, it is punishment time.

            It is a good thing that there are no cash strapped families in Howard County. I would hate to think that some poor child would get a failing grade on the second day of school because their parents decided food was more important than notebooks.
            (Sarcasm on!)

            Melody
          • RSYOSH@aol.com
            In a message dated 9/3/02 1:44:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ... They do it because they can. The way to change that is to get the PRINCIPAL convinced and
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
              In a message dated 9/3/02 1:44:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time, maureensmom@... writes:



              I don't have any idea why they have to have separate notebooks. It must be a new, but unadvertised requirement because on the first day of school, Maureen comes home with this piece of news. So off to Target we go and don't you know, every kid in a 20 mile radius is there looking for notebooks. I heard the mumblings of parents saying they don't understand why they have to have separate notebooks. So, I can't answer why, but if they don't have them, it is punishment time.

              It is a good thing that there are no cash strapped families in Howard County. I would hate to think that some poor child would get a failing grade on the second day of school because their parents decided food was more important than notebooks.
              (Sarcasm on!)

              Melody


              They do it because they can.  The way to change that is to get the PRINCIPAL convinced and HE/SHE makes a schoolwide policy

              - Becky
            • Allen Dyer
              ... From: Subject: Re: [howardpubliced] Re: what s it all about--alfieee.. ... i agree: they do it BECAUSE THEY CAN!! however, i disagree
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
                ----- Original Message -----
                From: <RSYOSH@...>
                Subject: Re: [howardpubliced] Re: what's it all about--alfieee..


                > In a message dated 9/3/02 1:44:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                > maureensmom@... writes:
                >
                >
                > >
                > > I don't have any idea why they have to have separate notebooks. It must be
                > > a new, but unadvertised requirement because on the first day of school...
                > > Melody
                > >
                >
                > They do it because they can. The way to change that is to get the PRINCIPAL
                > convinced and HE/SHE makes a schoolwide policy
                >
                > - Becky
                >

                i agree: they do it BECAUSE THEY CAN!!

                however, i disagree with the "principal making a schoolwide policy" approach.
                we (howard county parents) need to STICK TOGETHER. no way should this
                be a school-by-school policy. everyone yaps ad infinitum about how boosters
                create "inequity"--well i posit that any parent group that settles for an individual
                SCHOOLWIDE policy is a retrograde bigot of the first degree.

                time to go SYSTEMWIDE.

                get the home addresses of the board members and let them KNOW THAT IT
                IS TIME THEY DO THEIR JOBS!!

                TOP DOWN -- and make sure the whimps on the board finally understand that
                they are the TOP.

                vote often,
                allen
              • Jfp314@aol.com
                Are you serious? If the kids don t have the exact school supplies.....they get punished for it? Can you give me an example of this? (Perhaps I ll start a
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
                  Are you serious?  If the kids don't have the exact school supplies.....they get punished for it?  Can you give me an example of this? (Perhaps I'll start a crusade!)

                  That's just nuts....school paper is school paper, no matter which notebook it comes from!

                  Justine
                • wideawakek
                  I don t understand the separate notebook thing either. For Maureen, it sounds like weight isn t a problem. But for those who cannot carry everything, I would
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 3, 2002
                    I don't understand the separate notebook thing either. For Maureen,
                    it sounds like weight isn't a problem. But for those who cannot
                    carry everything, I would suggest talking to guidance and asking for
                    an exemption. There is really no reason for separate binders.

                    I'd like to see schools work in more of a partnership with students,
                    and this is an example where they can begin. Courtney, Barry -
                    couldn't the BOE simply write a policy stating that schools may not
                    require separate binders for each class?

                    -KL


                    --- In howardpubliced@y..., Jfp314@a... wrote:
                    > Are you serious? If the kids don't have the exact school
                    supplies.....they
                    > get punished for it? Can you give me an example of this? (Perhaps
                    I'll start
                    > a crusade!)
                    >
                    > That's just nuts....school paper is school paper, no matter which
                    notebook it
                    > comes from!
                    >
                    > Justine
                  • joan_pontius
                    ... must be a new, but unadvertised requirement because on the first day of school, Maureen comes home with this piece of news. So off to Target we go and
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                      --- In howardpubliced@y..., maureensmom@a... wrote:
                      > I don't have any idea why they have to have separate notebooks. It
                      must be a new, but unadvertised requirement because on the first day
                      of school, Maureen comes home with this piece of news. So off to
                      Target we go and don't you know, every kid in a 20 mile radius is
                      there looking for notebooks.

                      #############################

                      Can someone look into why??
                      Is the school getting kickbacks from Target?
                      the way they do from soda manufacturers for
                      agreeing to have Coke machines??

                      Is it all schools?? or just one??
                      etc.
                    • maureensmom@aol.com
                      It wasn t school paper, it is a 3 ring binder notebook that is required for each class. In the notebook the student is to have 5 dividers for various things
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                        It wasn't school paper, it is a 3 ring binder notebook that is required for each class. In the notebook the student is to have 5 dividers for various things like homework, classwork etc. One of my daughter's teachers graded the notebooks to see if they were done according to his specifications. Maureen tells me she got a 100%. So those that didn't do it correctly lost points.

                        I think the concept of teaching the students organization is not a bad idea. I just wish they had put out a list prior to school opening so that I would have purchased the right items in the first place. High Schools do not put out a list at Staples or Target so parents are just blindly buying what they think the kids need.

                        Melody
                      • maureensmom@aol.com
                        Joan, we only went to Target because it was convenient. I don t think it has anything to do with Target or a particular store, it more of a control issue I
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                          Joan, we only went to Target because it was convenient. I don't think it has anything to do with Target or a particular store, it more of a control issue I think.

                          Melody
                        • joan_pontius
                          ... Howard County. I would hate to think that some poor child would get a failing grade on the second day of school because their parents decided food was more
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                            --- In howardpubliced@y..., maureensmom@a... wrote:

                            > It is a good thing that there are no cash strapped families in
                            Howard County. I would hate to think that some poor child would get a
                            failing grade on the second day of school because their parents
                            decided food was more important than notebooks.
                            > (Sarcasm on!)



                            I guess in HoCo, families could always cash in
                            their UnitedGlobalWorldTelecom stock and buy
                            a notebook or two with that.
                          • debbiepdunn
                            Clarksville Middle School suggested individual binders as an option, but it was not required. We actually decided to give it a try, since organiztion seems to
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                              Clarksville Middle School suggested individual binders as an option,
                              but it was not required. We actually decided to give it a try, since
                              organiztion seems to be a real challenge for my 7th grader. We
                              bought the one inch binders from Staples (after rebate they were less
                              then $1 a piece). With his block schedule he only needs to take 3 of
                              the 5 notebooks in each day. Which size/weight wise isn't much
                              different then his larger binder from last year. If he'd had to
                              manage all 5 everyday in addition to his textbooks, this would not
                              have been a good organizational choice. Seems like the
                              teachers/schools need to step back and take a look at the forrest,
                              not just the individual trees!

                              --- In howardpubliced@y..., maureensmom@a... wrote:
                              > It wasn't school paper, it is a 3 ring binder notebook that is
                              required for each class. In the notebook the student is to have 5
                              dividers for various things like homework, classwork etc. One of my
                              daughter's teachers graded the notebooks to see if they were done
                              according to his specifications. Maureen tells me she got a 100%. So
                              those that didn't do it correctly lost points.
                              >
                              > I think the concept of teaching the students organization is not a
                              bad idea. I just wish they had put out a list prior to school opening
                              so that I would have purchased the right items in the first place.
                              High Schools do not put out a list at Staples or Target so parents
                              are just blindly buying what they think the kids need.
                              >
                              > Melody
                            • wideawakek
                              About teaching organization - I agree that it s good to do. I do think, however, that kids would learn it better if they had a chance to think of their own
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                                About teaching organization - I agree that it's good to do. I do
                                think, however, that kids would learn it better if they had a chance
                                to think of their own way of organizing their binder. Coming up with
                                a plan to organization school work and decide how they would keep
                                their language arts or social studies material has been a hw
                                assignment for my students on occasion. Kids can share ideas. My
                                method isn't always best for each student. For college, I used a
                                folder for each class and sometimes used colored paper as dividers.
                                That way, I could quickly file work in the correct place in the
                                pocket. Works for me, but it wouldn't work for everyone. I would
                                hate to keep 5 notebooks, but it works for some people.

                                -- KL
                              • debbiepdunn
                                I agree with you, especially at the high school level. The 5 notebooks my middle-schooler has are an organizational experiment for him. He saved last years
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                                  I agree with you, especially at the high school level. The 5
                                  notebooks my middle-schooler has are an organizational experiment for
                                  him. He saved last years zipper binder in case he finds it two
                                  cumbersome. Ultimately it was and is his decision, as long as he
                                  meets the basic criteria set up by his teachers (e.g. a place to keep
                                  class work, a place to keep homework etc...) Seems to me a high
                                  school student should have the same freedoms/responsibilities.

                                  --- In howardpubliced@y..., "wideawakek" <WideawakeK@a...> wrote:
                                  > About teaching organization - I agree that it's good to do. I do
                                  > think, however, that kids would learn it better if they had a
                                  chance
                                  > to think of their own way of organizing their binder. Coming up
                                  with
                                  > a plan to organization school work and decide how they would keep
                                  > their language arts or social studies material has been a hw
                                  > assignment for my students on occasion. Kids can share ideas. My
                                  > method isn't always best for each student. For college, I used a
                                  > folder for each class and sometimes used colored paper as
                                  dividers.
                                  > That way, I could quickly file work in the correct place in the
                                  > pocket. Works for me, but it wouldn't work for everyone. I would
                                  > hate to keep 5 notebooks, but it works for some people.
                                  >
                                  > -- KL
                                • RSYOSH@aol.com
                                  I have several really heavy books (in law school) and there is no way I could carry them all at once. Fortunately the teachers are required to distribute the
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 4, 2002
                                    I have several really heavy books (in law school) and there is no way I could carry them all at once.

                                    Fortunately the teachers are required to distribute the syllabus for the class no later than the first day, inclusing all the assignments for the semester.

                                    I tend to do my reading/ briefing in blocks.... do a whole weeks worth of a given subject one night, another subject the next, etc. By rotating them I can keep up with everything and still only have to bring home one book each night.

                                    Maybe something like this would work? Or force the teachers to rotate subject nights? If a child has 5 to 7 subjects, and EVERY teacher feels obligated to assign homework EVERY night for only that night, there is no way to get around carrying all those books both ways.

                                    And then as someone else pointed out... add the musical instrument, sports equipment, lunch....

                                    - Becky
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.