undercapacity elem schools

  • rit21042
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
      Here is a list of the undercapacity elem schools and the seats
      available based on 2003 projections from the capital budget document.

      Fulton 81 seats
      Laurel Woods 101 seats
      Bollman Bridge 36 seats
      Dasher Green 38 seats
      Stevens Forest 61 seats
      Talbot Springs 3 seats
      Thunder Hill 4 seats
      Bryant Woods 62 seats
      Longfellow 72 seats
      Running Brook 10 seats

      Fulton is adjacent to 3 schools that combined need an additional 500
      seats.
      Laurel Woods is adjacent to 2 schools that combined need an
      additional 130 seats
      Bollman Bridge is adjacent to 3 schools that combined need 250 seats

      Dasher Green is adjacent to Stevens Forest which is adjacent to
      Talbot Springs. They are all primarily walking district schools and
      are surrounded by schools, whose walking districts abut the
      boundaries.

      Bryant Woods & Longfellow are in a similar situation. Although
      Longfellow is bordered on the north by two schools that have a need
      for 150 additional seats.

      RIT
    • bobrosebrough21045
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
        Some of these numbers should be pitched because of error rates in
        counting kids on a particular day. I doubt that these tree schools
        could alleviate much of anything.
        > Talbot Springs 3 seats
        > Thunder Hill 4 seats
        > Running Brook 10 seats

        The remainder of the schools should be viewed with some suspicion in
        that school wide vacancies may not match purported specific needs.
        What good does it do to report capacity at Longfellow if that
        capacity is due to underenrollment of fifth graders and your need is
        for space for second graders? What do you do if the second grade at
        the proposed receiving shool is over sunscribed? Reported school
        capacities are only rough indices of carrying capacities. School
        capacities need to be reported on bodies in grades.
      • rit21042
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
          My goal was simply to enumerate the schools with space. I did not
          want to be accused of leaving out any school that was undercapacity.
          In my opinion if a school has 20 seats available it is not
          necessarily under capacity since those 20 seats are likely to be
          spread across the 5 grades and subject to change on a yearly basis.
          However 20 seats at a small school like Running Brook (capacity 239)
          would give it a % cap of 92% implying it is undercapacity. Whereas
          at a large school like Pointers Run, (capacity 666), those same 20
          seats would resul in a % capacity number of 97%. No one would
          advocate adding students to a school at 97% capacity, but they would
          with a school at 92% capacity. Yet the actual number of empty seats
          is the same.
          RIT

          --- In howardpubliced@y..., "bobrosebrough21045"

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
            I think that I have asked this before. When the kid/teacher ratio
            for K and 1 were reduced to 19, was the capacity of the school
            subsequently reduced. I don't envy you people on SBLC (nee BLAC) if
            you have to deal with these floating percentages (92 vs 97) when the
            number of seats (20) remains the same.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
              The ratio for K was and remains 22 children. The ratio for grades
              1&2 dropped to 19 and the ratio for grades 3-5 remains 25. And yes
              the capacities of all schools dropped when the change went into
              affect. Each school lost a 6 child capacity for each grade 1&2 at
              that school. Please keep in mind, that although the student teacher
              ratio is 19 to 1 that does not mean that the classroom is capped at
              19 children. If a school has 2 1st grade classrooms and 50 1st grade
              kids chances are there will be 25 kids in each first grade. I don't
              know when the assignment of a new teacher is triggered.