Re: robey sends a messenger.....

  • bobrosebrough21045
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2002
      Didn't Mr. Robey also tell us to figuratively "Pound Sand" when some
      comments were made about raiding the Parks and Rec Trust Fund. I am
      a strong believer in user fees but this reeks of the Clinton people
      misusing the hunting (Pitmman-Robert son)and fishing (Dingell-Johnson)
      trust funds that are to be used for wildlife restoration purposes.

      --- In howardpubliced@y..., "Allen Dyer" <aldyer@l...> wrote:
      > dear mr. robey (with a cc: to mr. o'donnell),
      >
      > as county executive you have repeatedly asked for the right to
      appoint
      > board of ed members and you did, in fact, get to appoint a board
      member
      > due to the still unexplained departure of board member waters.
      and, your
      > hand picked board member supposedly reflects on whether or not
      citizens
      > should vote to re-elect you (at least that is the way i thought you
      explained
      > the concept of accountability of APPOINTED board members). hence,
      the
      > following comment is FOR YOU TO EXPLAIN.

      > School board member Jim O'Donnell said the money included
      > in the budget to cover raises for top administrators is
      appropriate.

      > "I do not like the idea of basically saying one area of an
      organization
      > should be treated any differently than another area of an
      organization,"
      > he said.
      >
      > The teachers union is in the process of ratifying a contract
      that would
      > include 3 percent raises.
      >
      > "It's the board's decision with regard to O'Rourke's compensation
      > for next year and I don't think anybody else should be concerned
      > about it," O'Donnell said.
      >
      > as for you -- mr. o'donnell -- since i didn't get a chance to
      vote "for" or
      > "against" you i am well aware that you have nothing but contempt
      for my
      > opinion so i could care less about any bozo rationalizations from
      you --
      > just be a good little puppet for the county exec -- explain
      yourself to your
      > puppet master.
      >
      > vote often and don't let power hungry county executives short
      circuit
      > the electoral process,
      >
      > allen dyer
      > a voter -- not a serf
    • perlpubl
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2002
        Glenn, Allen, Bob -

        In agreement.

        In the past I've tended to support CE Robey. Yet, he stated that his
        appointment of the Board Member would be his most important decision
        and he should be judged by that decision.

        Board Member O'Donnell's statements are so outrageous (he's a
        businessman?) that it is hardly worth responding to each of his
        points.

        CE Robey's raiding of the Recs and Parks fund is equally disturbing.

        Barry Tevelow
      • joan_pontius
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2002
          --- In howardpubliced@y..., "bobrosebrough21045"
          <bobrosebrough21045@y...> wrote:
          > Didn't Mr. Robey also tell us to figuratively "Pound Sand" when some
          > comments were made about raiding the Parks and Rec Trust Fund.

          ?? what is this about? can you send a url to an article
          or something?

          tia
        • bobrosebrough21045
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2002
            --- In howardpubliced@y..., "joan_pontius" <joan_pontius@y...> wrote:
            > --- In howardpubliced@y..., "bobrosebrough21045"
            > <bobrosebrough21045@y...> wrote:
            > > Didn't Mr. Robey also tell us to figuratively "Pound Sand" when
            some
            > > comments were made about raiding the Parks and Rec Trust Fund.
            >
            > ?? what is this about? can you send a url to an article
            > or something?
            >
            > tia

            Sunspot.net
            10.) Shifting parks funds not good government
            (Published: 04/28/02)
            REQUIRES REGISTRATION: Register now or Log in here
            SO IT'S official, the confiscation of $1.7 million paid by users of
            Howard County's Department of Recreation and Parks services and
            facilities during the past five years - paid only by those customers,
            not all taxpayers. The money has been taken by you,
          • joan_pontius
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2002
              --- In howardpubliced@y..., "bobrosebrough21045"
              > REQUIRES REGISTRATION: Register now or Log in here
              > SO IT'S official,

              i don't even register to buy groceries, no
              way i'm registering to read a newspaper article
            • maureensmom@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2002
                I have little of anything nice to say about our new board member, so I will just say nothing.

                But on the issue of the REC and Parks budget, I did not realize that they were supposed to turn a profit. My feeling is, do we have more parks or do we have firemen, police and schools? We are under tight times right now, so I think that he is appropriate in using that money.

                I would hate to think that we had a refurbished parks at the expense of citizen safety.

                Melody
              • joan_pontius
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2002
                  --- In howardpubliced@y..., maureensmom@a... wrote:
                  > I have little of anything nice to say about our new board member, so
                  I will just say nothing.

                  > But on the issue of the REC and Parks budget, I did not realize that
                  they were supposed to turn a profit. My feeling is, do we have more
                  parks or do we have firemen, police and schools? We are under tight
                  times right now, so I think that he is appropriate in using that
                  money.

                  > I would hate to think that we had a refurbished parks at the expense
                  of citizen safety.

                  > Melody

                  SOME of us moved out here for the greenery not the schools!!!
                  If you want to be surrounded by walls and have your kids
                  surrounded by overflowing sewage, move into Baltimore!
                  There is already plenty there.
                • maureensmom@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2002
                    Another ridiculous suggestion by Joan Pontius. Do you ever have anything constructive to say?

                    Melody
                  • joan_pontius
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 6, 2002
                      --- In howardpubliced@y..., maureensmom@a... wrote:
                      > Another ridiculous suggestion by Joan Pontius. Do you ever have
                      anything constructive to say?

                      > Melody

                      Melody, after having a bad weekend, i'm a little
                      fed up with criticism of people who are unwilling
                      to tell me what they're talking about and a little
                      sick hypocitical comments such as the above. What
                      constructive tidbit did you offer there?

                      The survey's I have seen show the citizens of Howard County
                      wanting to preserve green space and open space.
                      Why would the county take money AWAY from something
                      we have 'voted for' through surveys.
                      Furthermore, surveys have demonstrated more recreation =
                      less crime. I suppose you'd prefer to have a police
                      state and pay the police to monitor behavior
                      instead of giving kids something better to do with
                      their time than run around causing problems.

                      I'm also sick of people who think that throwing
                      money at any problem is going to solve it. If you
                      think education needs more money, it's because
                      you're being played as a pawn. If schools are
                      so crowded, and so many kids want to go to Centennial,
                      they could just have two shifts there. But that
                      wouldn't involve multi-million dollar contracts, would it.
                      The only thing more schools is going to do is to
                      open up more development. How many people do you know
                      who want more development in Howard County? Probably
                      as many people who can fit their hand in development's
                      pocket. So what do we have. Some Bozo taking money
                      away from parks, for what? To make us more urban?
                      To give us more police and roads and buildings??
                      No thank you.
                    • maureensmom@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 6, 2002
                        Joan,

                        Since you asked for an explanation, here it is:

                        I am more than a little tired of your barbs and sarcasm at nearly every comment people post to this list. I put an article on this list several months ago, just as a piece of information to the members of the list, and you ripped into the article, the topic and myself for posting it. My comment that you did not like was in response to more barbs sent out by you.

                        I do not want a police state. Just a maintenance of what we have would be nice. I do not want to be surrounded by walls. I seldom use the recreation and parks facilities or services because they are expensive and I basically cannot afford them and do not feel safe in the parks. I do not believe that the troubled children in our community are using them either, a stroll by the lake, unless to rob someone, would not appear to be on their agenda.

                        I do not think that we should "throw" money at the DOE either. I agree with Barry that Club 108 could be drastically down-sized, which might improve their efficiency and increase classroom teacher availability.

                        Jim Robey is not a "bozo." He made a difficult and thoughtful decision that benefitted everyone in the county. I do not like development. I am getting 30 new houses on my street, whose road barely accomodates what we have. I was recently told by the developer of this community that my property values are going to rise, but that means my taxes will also rise. So my road is going to be overused, the wetland area in my neighborhood will be diminished, I am going to have 5 of the thirty houses facing my house on the side. And since they are large 2 story houses, they will be obstructing my view of the trees. I already gave Steve the playhouse in my backyard in anticipation of curious little children trying to climb in it and getting hurt. Thus, making my property insurance go up. Since this planned development has been in the works for >4 years, where was the Republican Controlled county government to stop this mess. Plus, I thought that there was a moratorium on development in the East because the schools cannot accomodate more kids. Since you suggest we not build any more schools, should we sit them outside?

                        Back to education. I don't want the newest, the best, or the most expensive. I would just like Howard High to be treated equally. We had our gym renovated last summer and the contractors did a horrible job. Not only was the workmanship poor, but the workers stole uniforms and equipment from locked closets. They dusted the exercise room with asbestos dust. And we are still trying to get the DOE to fix a 2 page list of problems associated with that renovation. I cannot imagine that had this happened to Centennial or River Hill that it would not have been made right by now.

                        Another recent problem is that Howard is the only school in the county that has night football. In a recent wind storm, one of the light poles was blown over. Then, it was discovered that all of the poles were in poor condition. It took over a month for the poles to be removed, leaving the track team and the Lacrosse team with no place to practice or have home games. Now, our school is faced with the task of getting the BOE/DOE to replace these poles at a cost of about $100,000. So, my guess is that there will not be any night football this year. The Lions Pride Athletic Booster Club is hopeful that we will not have to raise money to replace the poles.

                        So, I am sorry that you had a bad weekend. I am sorry that you are so quick to judge others. I am sorry that you do not take the time to find out what others are thinking before you attack them. I hope your upcoming week finds you in better spirits.

                        Melody
                      • joan_pontius
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 6, 2002
                          --- In howardpubliced@y..., maureensmom@a... wrote:

                          > Jim Robey is not a "bozo." He made a difficult and thoughtful
                          decision that benefitted everyone in the county.

                          if he's not a Bozo, then what was he doing participating
                          in the "All American City" circus.