RE: lunch

  • Clark, Bob
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2000
      Docbov:

      It was meant to be humorous, in light of the fact that
      certain list members have a habit of labeling certain BOE
      candidates as 'bitter' or 'axe to grind', to which I've
      taken them to task.

      I even added a smiley face, and support your comments
      and efforts.

      Regards,

      Robert L. Clark
      CSX Technology
      MIS Consultant & Instructor
      W. mailto:Bob_L_Clark@...
      H. mailto:robertclark2@...

      <+> EDUCATION - The Final Frontier <+>

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2000
        In a message dated 2/2/00 11:06:21 a.m. Eastern Standard Time,
        robertclark2@... writes:

        << List Members:
        My, my, you all sound like a bunch of 'bitter' and 'angry' people.>>>

        Not to worry. You are good to keep your humor. I spied your smile. :-)

        <<< Isn't it great when we can get fired up on a subject?
        I say go get'em.>>>

        It's super! The kids really need their parents to group together on the
        issue.

        <<<Teachers should be at least periodically required to participate in
        the lunch process (They could take turns). >>

        Seems to make sense because they are already there and know the kids. But I
        have to disagree (remember, this is a teacher talkin', Lol). Very often,
        this is the only break teachers get during the entire day. I know many think
        of planning as a break, but we are actually trying to fit a lot of work into
        a small period of time. And we don't always get that. For example, one day
        earlier this month, I spent the entire planning period in nonplanning
        meetings (85 minutes), and again had another meeting after the kids left (1/2
        hour). The lunch 25 minutes was the only break I had that day. Really, it
        is the only break teachers where I work (Glenwood MS) have all day. Remember,
        teachers do not get a 10 or 15 minute break in the morning or afternoon. For
        the sake of sanity, everyone has to have a break during the day; lunch is it.
        And this is coming from a teacher whose kids are really nice and well
        behaved. I can imagine how much I would need that time if my kids acted up.

        If the lunch time were extended, that would a different story. I would
        gladly take a break and then join my students so they could eat and socialize
        longer. In fact, I enjoy visiting them in the cafeteria because talking with
        them during breaks helps build rapport. I see only one side of them in the
        classroom.

        - Kristine Lockwood
      • Donna K Lyman
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2000
          I am not sure who to actually direct this to so I'll reply to one of the
          authors of the emails in hope that the comment will get passed around -
          Yes, lunches are a problem.
          So is recess. On the elementary level - the asphalt playgrounds could be
          easily cleared of snow to allow some outdoor fresh air,
          run-off-some-energy time. This continuous indooor recess is a mess. The
          asphalt would be dry by now. But if we have to wait until the snow melt,
          we could wait for a month. I hear classrooms are a little more out of
          control, lunch is more wild,etc. The children need to let off steam, get
          their blood circulating, their heart pumping - EVERY day. Do educators
          truly understand the growth and developemnt needs of our children??? Are
          we expecting to much? Who should be addressed for this type of
          concern???

          Good nutrition and gross motor movement aka "running around at recess" is
          a must. Expecting a child to sit in a classroom attending and
          cooperating at 100 percent is very unrealistic.

          Don't get me started on school snacks! I think the food service could
          find another way to raise money. What do they do with the money they
          raise anyway? If the meal is nutritious (and includes an occasional
          cookie) then why do they need snack?? This whole snack business is a
          waste of time, teaches poor habits because it is not monitored by adults
          who serve the best interests of the child. I personally boycott the
          snacks and encourage others to do the same. My children get enough to
          eat - be it bought or carried. They don't "suffer" because they don't
          buy a snack. I reinforce their good food choices with plenty of praise
          and urge others to do the same. So I am saying - YES snacks are another
          issue in the lunch saga that the board needs to address.

          The school board definitely has a lot of issues to contend with. As
          parents we cannot become complacent but work to encourage constant
          re-evaluation of the issues. Our PTA's need to be more than fund-raisers
          and I am encouraged by HCPTAC. Please help us find ways to channel our
          issues. I think it will be easy to organize email barrages of comments
          once the board is elected. Is that realistic? If not that, then what?
          On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:14:53 EST HigginsforBdofEd@... writes:
          > From: HigginsforBdofEd@...
          >
          > Not bitter or angry. Just worried about the lack of nutrition for
          > those hard
          > working brain cells in our children. : )
          >
          > Melody

          > select the Member Center link from the menu bar on the left.

          > Send your message to the community by emailing:
          > howardpubliced@onelist.com

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • perlsteinl@washpost.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2000
            ...also, the cafeteria monitors in the Howard County schools I've been in
            are teachers, counselors and administrators.
          • Watson Family
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 2000
              our cafeteria monitors are paid $7 an hour - and are not otherwise part of
              the school staff....

              > ...also, the cafeteria monitors in the Howard County schools I've been in
              > are teachers, counselors and administrators.

              > select the Member Center link from the menu bar on the left.

              > Send your message to the community by emailing:
              > howardpubliced@onelist.com

            • Marvin french
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2000
                Good Afternoon
                The issues you describe should be immediately brought to the attention of
                your local school Principal and PTA President for discussion and resolution.
                Answers to your questions should be addressed in weekly correspondence to
                the home, such as in a newsletter and Friday menu. Every school has a
                school based instructional decision making committee which could also
                address these concerns, because, in my opinion, they do affect the quality
                of learning and of a child's being receptive to learning. The board of ed
                has so many issues to deal with, that you will find quicker resolution --
                and possibly a better one :-) --- by taking your concerns to the person most
                able to make effective change.
                Regarding food services concerns, Mary Klatko 410-313-6736 or Bob Lazarewicz
                410-313-6735 might have answers. But always, please, begin with the PTA
                president and the principal, because they might have pertinent info or have
                plans in the works to address your concerns. I have always found over the
                years that the PTA is very effective in shared decision making at the local
                level.
                Sandie French
                Board Member