Re: Fw: school lunch

  • Diana Talabac
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
      At 01:06 AM 02/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:
      >From: Abe via Allen Dyer:

      >> Legally, I can buy tobacco and shotguns, vote, and be drafted, but not
      go to
      >> McDonalds for lunch.

      <shudder> Please don't bring up those other "freedoms" as an argument as to
      why students should be allowed off-campus for lunch!

      >As a senior in high school, I am allowed a paltry
      >> thirty minutes for lunch.

      At every school level, I think this is not enough time, if one considers
      how long it takes to obtain lunch if buying this from the cafeteria.

      At our middle school, lunch was a free-for-all; the closest thing I can
      imagine to pandemonium/chaos... the teachers (those that HAD to be in the
      room) and the principal (a failure) had NO control over those students! If
      that is socialization, I'd rather my kids skip it. (As a matter of fact,
      usually they didn't eat anything while in school, to my GREAT dismay. They
      didn't like the foods that would transport safety to school in their
      lunches. They just waited til they got home from school.)

      >During those thirty minutes I am guarded like a
      >> convict, and should I leave the cafeteria I am confronted with a barrage of
      >> rudely asked questions.

      Uh, not at our high school, unfortunately. Too many students (IMO-but then
      I'm a strict disciplinarian, or would like to be that effective :-) )
      already think of school as one big party. I know you may view this
      discipline as draconian, but would you want to be in a school with just the
      opposite atmosphere? My kids prefer being in a controlled environment (firm
      but not mean).

      Any high school which allows students off-campus would be a persuasive
      argument for other high schools to allow the same. And at how many schools
      is that practical? (Traffic in/out of lot, impact on surrounding
      communities, etc) I'm sure our principal would also point out the
      opportunity it would afford students to go out to the parking lot (or
      farther) and engage in illicit activities such as substance abuse.

      As a community member, I'd rather high-school-aged kids stay in the
      building or at least on campus during the school day. How would the food
      vendors in their area feel about this? Would they welcome the business or
      want to avoid any misbehavior? How many of the at-risk kids would return to
      school after the temptation of the short period of freedom?

      I DO think our cafeteria facilities are too small and offer foods
      unappealing to most kids. (I understand some HSs...WL?...have much better
      cafeterias?) And I do think the kids should have more time at lunch, to eat
      and to responsibly socialize; but only if the school day is extended likewise.

      I know my comments could be construed as offensive to many high schoolers
      who ARE responsible and mature enough to deal with the potential problems
      of off-campus lunching. However, it's also the case that many are not (and
      this might be so in some areas more than others, where the cultural
      expectations are different) and unfortunately we often manage kids to the
      lower level rather than the higher level.

      >It sickens me that
      >> young adults, as old as eighteen, are treated like children.

      I don't think we adults intend to demean you and hurt you, but from our
      perspective... well, you ARE still children, and we do want to continue to
      manage you to try to protect you.

      (And I'd get the tobacco and guns and draft away from even-18-year olds,
      too. As for voting, well, I wish MORE of the younger voters were registered
      and vote!)

      --Diana