Fw: school lunch

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2000
      thot i would ask my son (who is a senior) for his perspective on 30 minute
      lunch breaks. allen

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
        At 01:06 AM 02/01/2000 -0500, you wrote:
        >From: Abe via Allen Dyer:

        >> Legally, I can buy tobacco and shotguns, vote, and be drafted, but not
        go to
        >> McDonalds for lunch.

        <shudder> Please don't bring up those other "freedoms" as an argument as to
        why students should be allowed off-campus for lunch!

        >As a senior in high school, I am allowed a paltry
        >> thirty minutes for lunch.

        At every school level, I think this is not enough time, if one considers
        how long it takes to obtain lunch if buying this from the cafeteria.

        At our middle school, lunch was a free-for-all; the closest thing I can
        imagine to pandemonium/chaos... the teachers (those that HAD to be in the
        room) and the principal (a failure) had NO control over those students! If
        that is socialization, I'd rather my kids skip it. (As a matter of fact,
        usually they didn't eat anything while in school, to my GREAT dismay. They
        didn't like the foods that would transport safety to school in their
        lunches. They just waited til they got home from school.)

        >During those thirty minutes I am guarded like a
        >> convict, and should I leave the cafeteria I am confronted with a barrage of
        >> rudely asked questions.

        Uh, not at our high school, unfortunately. Too many students (IMO-but then
        I'm a strict disciplinarian, or would like to be that effective :-) )
        already think of school as one big party. I know you may view this
        discipline as draconian, but would you want to be in a school with just the
        opposite atmosphere? My kids prefer being in a controlled environment (firm
        but not mean).

        Any high school which allows students off-campus would be a persuasive
        argument for other high schools to allow the same. And at how many schools
        is that practical? (Traffic in/out of lot, impact on surrounding
        communities, etc) I'm sure our principal would also point out the
        opportunity it would afford students to go out to the parking lot (or
        farther) and engage in illicit activities such as substance abuse.

        As a community member, I'd rather high-school-aged kids stay in the
        building or at least on campus during the school day. How would the food
        vendors in their area feel about this? Would they welcome the business or
        want to avoid any misbehavior? How many of the at-risk kids would return to
        school after the temptation of the short period of freedom?

        I DO think our cafeteria facilities are too small and offer foods
        unappealing to most kids. (I understand some HSs...WL?...have much better
        cafeterias?) And I do think the kids should have more time at lunch, to eat
        and to responsibly socialize; but only if the school day is extended likewise.

        I know my comments could be construed as offensive to many high schoolers
        who ARE responsible and mature enough to deal with the potential problems
        of off-campus lunching. However, it's also the case that many are not (and
        this might be so in some areas more than others, where the cultural
        expectations are different) and unfortunately we often manage kids to the
        lower level rather than the higher level.

        >It sickens me that
        >> young adults, as old as eighteen, are treated like children.

        I don't think we adults intend to demean you and hurt you, but from our
        perspective... well, you ARE still children, and we do want to continue to
        manage you to try to protect you.

        (And I'd get the tobacco and guns and draft away from even-18-year olds,
        too. As for voting, well, I wish MORE of the younger voters were registered
        and vote!)

        --Diana