Contra Costa TImes : Vocational Cuts Leave Students without a middle ground

  • RSYOSH@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002

      http://www.contracostatimes.com/partners/nf/voced_20011230.htm
      Published Sunday, December 30, 2001
      Vocational cuts leave students without middle groun

      Good article.  Addresses a situtaion discussed on this list - cuts in vocational programs in favor of programs for the "college bound".... But given that college is not for everybody, many students are hung out to dry.

      Is high school supposed to be college prep?  Or real life prep?  How do we prepare the students who will be future auto mechanics, constructions workers, office workers?  Where would we be without people to do those jobs?

      Speaking of real life prep (and especially because of my current law school experience) I would really like to see a required civics course for all High School students which covers some basic law for daily living - like what constitutes a contract, some torts, some understanding of small claims court, and maybe traffic court. And something in the way of criminal law which is more practical than watching The Practice or Law and Order. The kinds of things EVERYBODY really should know in order to protect themselves legally on a day to day basis.

      - Becky