[howard-family] Re: FATHER OF STEPHEN HOWARD??

  • JMorriss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 1999
      I have been able to confirm my Howard family to Stephen Howard, born before
      1696, and his brothers Joseph, James, Edward, and John. There is
      circumstantial evidence that their father was Thomas. Has anyone found
      confirmation that these ARE the sons of Thomas? Is there any documented
      information for the wife of Thomas or his parents and siblings? I've seen
      lots of family trees with this information, but no proof. I don't want to
      continue filling in my blanks without some assurance that the information is
      correct. I'll appreciate any help anyone can provide. Joyce
    • JPClarkAla@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 1999
        I'm sorry that I can't answer yout question, but perhaps you can answer one
        of mine. Did your Stephen have a son or grandson named Nehemiah or one named
        Obediah? If so I may be able to provide some information about Stephen's
        descendants.
      • MB102738@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 1999
          Mr. Clark:

          I assume you are talking of Stephen Howard married first to Ursula Newton
          prior to second marriage to Cynthia Avery. I would be very interested in
          information as to his descendents, i.e. children. I believe that two of his
          children, oe possibly grandchildren married children of J. C. Sturgeon of
          Florence, Alabama. John N. Sturgeon married Ursula Jane Howard and Nancy
          Sturgeon married Jason Howard. I also believe a relationship exists between
          Stephen Howard's descendants and Mark Shelton of Giles Co. Tn. and Lauderdale
          Co., Alabama. His second wife was an Elizabeth Howard and several children
          from his first marriage also married Howards including a Jesse Howard who may
          have been a son of Stephen.

          Martha Blackford
          MB102738@...
        • JMorriss@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 1999
            The answer is yes to both questions. Following is what I know about this
            Howard family. It is possibly more than necessary. I will appreciate any
            additions or corrections.

            I have been able to determine that my Stephen Howard was born before 1696.
            He had brothers Joseph, James, Edward and John. Joseph’s wife was Sarah ?
            and sons named in deeds were Joseph and John. There were possibly others.
            James’ wife was also named Sarah, last name Titus born in Nansemond VA. From
            Virginia Land Grants, BK 7, pg 412: James Howard was granted 300 acres Oct 16
            1684, due for transportation of 6 persons into this Colony. His children
            included James, Edward, John, Samuel, Solomon and Sarah, all named in his
            will. He died 1729 in Bertie Co NC. Edward Howard died in 1745 in Onslow Co
            NC; his wife was Rosamond. Children named in his wife’s will were Edward,
            Titus, Rosamond, Jesse, Elizabeth and Angelica. John’s wife was Frances
            Denson and he died in 1752 in Onslow Co NC. Children named in his will
            include James, Josiah, John , Francis and Bartholomew. My source for this
            information is from "Nehemiah Howard and His Family" by Rebecca Echols Terry
            which is well documented.

            My line is from the brother, Stephen Howard, who died in 1745 in Onslow Co
            NC. His wife was Sarah; her maiden name may have been Sanders. The Will of
            a John Sanders of Onslow Prect, New River, mentions Edmund and Stephen
            Howard, Jr. sons of Stephen Howard, my uncle. Probated 3 Apr 1733. Known
            children of Stephen and Sarah were 1) Edmund bc 1724, 2) Stephen, Jr, bc
            1725, 3) Nehemiah bc 1735 and 4) Obediah b 1741. No more information on 1)
            Edmund. 2) Stephen, Jr married Mary Powell after 1745 and both died in NC.
            Their son, John, married Martha Bridges. John and Martha Howard moved to
            Butler Co KY from NC between 1785 and 1790. They had 8 children by 1822 when
            they moved to Calloway Co. Only known child was James P. Howard who married
            Ann D. Carson. 4) Obediah married Priscilla Breed in 1758 in Union Dist, SC.
            Their children included Nathan, Joseph, Mary, Nancy, Stephen, Hannah,
            Jesse, Avery, William, Christopher, Sarah, Priscilla, and Anna. The family
            moved to KY after 1783 and both Obediah and Priscilla died in Barren Co KY in
            1804 and 1808 respectively.

            3) Nehemiah Howard married Edith Smith in 1754 in Orange Co NC. Nehemiah
            died in 1798 in Elbert Co GA and Edith died in 1829 in Milledgeville, GA.
            They had one son and one daughter, names unknown, and John, Sarah, Archer,
            Harmon, Hester “Ester”, Benjamin, Ann “Nancy”, Mary Elizabeth, James,
            Nehemiah, Jr., Joseph, and Mark. Many of these children remained in GA but
            some migrated to AL. Nehemiah, Jr married Nancy Barrett, daughter of Ninian
            and Mary James Barrett, about 1799. Their only child I know of is Martha S.
            Howard b 1803 who married Benjamin Arnold Dunn in 1824 (from Dunn family
            bible). Benjamin was the son of Thomas and Nancy Ward Dunn.

            This is a basic listing of the information I have. Much of it is from the
            Terry book mentioned above. Some lines have more information than others.
            Obediah’s family has the most information. I would appreciate any documented
            information or suggested leads to more facts on any of these folks. I would
            be especially interested in more on the family of Nehemiah and his son
            Nehemiah, Jr. Also of interest are any leads to the parents of Stephen, Sr
            and his brothers. The book does provide further sources and if you would
            like any of them specified please ask and I will relay the reference. I have
            not personally researched the sources provided.

            I look forward to sharing data.

            Joyce
          • JMorriss@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 1999
              I'm not sure if we are talking about the same generation. Some of the names
              you give are familiar and others not. Following is the information I have
              and I appreciate the opportunity to compare data.

[...]

              Obediah’s family has the most information. I will appreciation any additions
              or corrections which you may provide. I would be especially interested in

            • MSongy7777@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 1999
                Just wanted to thank you for posting all that in such great order. I am
                descended from the James, and wish I had the book...I have his will copy and
                all descendants, but was always curious about the brothers families.
                I believe that Edward probably must have married a sister/cousin of Sarah
                Titus, since he named one of the children Titus. I would love more details
                on the Titus line, but have never been able to locate any information. Also,
                James Howard, II's son Luke Lidney Howard married Clarissa "Clary" Cotten,
                and her lineage is a brick wall as well. Thanks again for your post. Msongy