RE: [howard-family] Active ?

  • Mike Howard
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2012
      What information do you have those from NC to TN?

      To: howard-family@yahoogroups.com
      From: pj@...
      Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:53:47 -0600
      Subject: Re: [howard-family] Active ?

      sure could be.........mine was in Coffee Co when I first find them.........

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2012
        Name:Abram W. Howard
        Age:64
        Birth Year:abt 1816
        Birthplace:North Carolina
        Home in 1880:Greenville, Greene, Tennessee
        Race:White
        Gender:Male
        Relation to Head of House:Self (Head)
        Marital Status:Widower
        Father's Birthplace:North Carolina
        Mother's Birthplace:North Carolina
        Neighbors:View others on page
        Occupation:Minister Of Gospel
        Cannot read/write:

        Blind:

        Deaf and dumb:

        Otherwise disabled:

        Idiotic or insane:View image
        Household Members:Name
        Age
        Abram W. Howard 64
        Mary J. Howard 32
        Mattie Howard 28
        Charles G. Howard 25
        Nathaniel T. Howard 23
        Joseph Howard 18
        Frederick R. Howard 8
        John T. Howard 6
        Courtney Hankins 16 View
        Original
        Record
        Surnames: HOWARD, WHITTAKER, HOLDER, LEACH, TALIFERIO, BLAIR,NICHOLS, WEAVER
        I have Howards from Surry Co, NC, and I have a Greene Whittaker. The following
        is a letter that a 2nd cousin of mine wrote in 1918. It is written just as it
        was written in 1918. Please check it out to see if you think there could be a
        connection. I"m not sure of any Indian heritage.

        INFORMATION This is written just as it was Oct. 18, 1918 in Greenville,
        Tennessee (except I used modern abbreviations some) My great great grandfather
        Charles Howard was with Gen. George Washington, from commencement to close of
        the Revolutionary War as his body guard. He settled in Surry Co., North
        Carolina. I do not know who he married. I only know of three children. Two girls
        and one boy. Later Charles Howard moved to Tenn and settled on Lick Creek. One
        of the girls m: a Jones and one married a Dobbins. The son Abram (my great
        grandfather) was the only son. He disliked Tn. and ran away and went back to
        Surry Co. NC to a Howard uncle he had out there. He was then about 12 yrs. old.
        He grew to manhood, married and raised a family, but I know nothing of any of
        them except Charles, my grandfather. He married Jane O'Summers. (there is where
        we get our Scotch Irish from the O'Summers, they had blue grey eyes and black
        hair like your grandfather and Uncle Joe . The Howards are red and sandy and
        brown haired and blue eyes. ) To them were eleven children born and reared to
        manhood and womanhood. 1.Elizabeth (Betsy) m: Greene Whittaker two children
        blessed this home: Charles & Rachel Charles married, died and left a large
        family in lower East Tn. Nancy married John Holder five childen came to their
        home Rachel, Mary, William, Gabriel, & John William is living in Ok. Gabriel,
        Rachel (who married a Williams ) and John live in Knox County, Tn. John is a
        Baptist Minister Mary died unmarried William Howard married Sarah ( Sallie)
        Taliferio two daughters came to live with them: Mary & Sarah Mary & Sarah
        married brothers by the name of Leach. The Leaches are living in Ms/Mo. (cannot
        read it clearly ) William Howard moved to Mo./Ms. ( cannot read it clearly ) and
        died in about two years. His widow married a man by the name of Peters. John
        Howard died at the age of 21 unmarried Lonreno( could be Lorenzo) Don (or Dow)
        Howard married, went to Ill. then to Ms. he had a large family, but I don't
        remember who he married, nor any of the childrens names except the oldest son
        was William Lancaster Howard that married ? , settled in Knox Co.,Tn. and raised
        three children: Pheobe, Abra and Eliza They are in Knox Co. near Concord
        **Thomas Jefferson Howard married Lucinda Blair. Two children blessed this home:
        John and Mary Jane. Uncle Tom and wife have passed over the river, the children
        live in Grason Co., Va. Jane and Rachel Howard were twins. Jane married Tillery
        O'Summers They had one child a daughter. don't know where she is , they lived
        and died in Knox Co. Rachel married Thomas Nichols, lived and died in Anderson
        Co., Tn. they had no children. Our grandfather, Charles Howard,after his
        children were all grown and most of them weremarried moved from Surry Co., NC to
        Knox Co., Tn. Eventually most of his children settled around him. They were not
        wealthy , but owned their homes and were good livers. Mary Howard, one of the
        dearest good women of earth and my fathers sister, died unmarried. Abram Wesley
        Howard married Mary Margaret Weaver and settled in Greenville, Tenn. To them
        nine children came: Nancy Caroline (stillborn) Mary Jane , now living in Ok.
        Martha Elizabeth Rachel, living in Greenville, Tn. Tillman Abram, burned to
        cinders in a Railroad disaster at Ashtabula Ohio in 1873 Charles George,
        sleeping in Oak Grove Cemetery Greenville, Tn. Nathaniel G. Taylor, and Joseph
        Wesley both living in Greenville Tenn. Aunt Mary (Polly) and father should have
        come in just after Uncle Charlie L. and just before Uncle Tom J., but I was
        interrupted and made me forget. This is badly done, but it is true history and
        as far as I know and you can write it off nice when you get ready. For Joe Jr.,
        son of the 3rd Charles Howard from Aunt Mattie on

        ________________________________
        What information do you have those from NC to TN?

        To: howard-family@yahoogroups.com
        From: pj@...
        Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:53:47 -0600

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 29, 2012
          Yes, I have seen too much of that, but I would hope we could keep it going, so we can help each other with a good cause-that of findingnout kindred dead-Thank you, Evelyn Howard

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2012
            I hope to find some information on my Howards, but in the same respect I hope I
            don't start getting porn emails etc.

             Take time to smell the flowers ...

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30, 2012
              I will have to pull up my howard lineage and let you know. I constantly
              monitor this source site for new information. We do get bombarded by porn
              sites, but that is out of our control.

              Greg Stokes
              stokesg62@...
              On Dec 29, 2012 4:36 PM, "tategenealogy_1" <tategenealogy_1@...>
              wrote:

              > Is this group still active ? All I can find for recent postings is porn
              > sites and that is NOT what I am looking for. This is what I would like to
              > know...
              >
              > I know this is a long shot, but hopefully someone is still on here. My
              > How=
              > ards are from Sury Co., NC then went on to Green Co., TN. Do you know if
              > t=
              > here could be a connection ?

            • cinannh
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 24, 2013
                --- In howard-family@yahoogroups.com, Mike Howard <mhoward579@...> wrote:

                > What information do you have those from NC to TN?
                >
                > To: howard-family@yahoogroups.com
                > From: pj@...
                > Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:53:47 -0600
                > Subject: Re: [howard-family] Active ?
                >

                > have you found the info you were looking for, I seem to have a lot of info of others than my line. Samuel b1762 is my driving force

                > sure could be.........mine was in Coffee Co when I first find them.........

              • Cindy
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 25, 2013
                  I have some info that could help but I need a name to start with for example:
                  Howard were moved a lot then due to military service & farming.
                  ref; "Tenn Cousins" by W. Ray states  reuben johnson married a daug. of Allen Howard, who was the brother of Benj., whos son Benj. moved to Wilkes co. NC, Jordan council who married Sally Howard daug. the younger Benj. got his name from the council family. all originating from William from England in 1636, brother Matthew m/Ann Hall was in Norfolk in 1635.
                  Look in the "Giles County Tenn. Census of 1850,  Wesly married Jane Butler, children:
                  Aenes, Susan Jane, Jasper, John David, Newton T.,Wm. Davis,Memucan hunt.
                  I suspect TN howards came from NC area.
                  happy hunting!
                  Cindy Howard

                  > What information do you have those from NC to TN?
                  >
                  > To: mailto:howard-family%40yahoogroups.com
                  > From: pj@...
                  > Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:53:47 -0600
                  > Subject: Re: [howard-family] Active ?
                  >

                  > have you found the info you were looking for, I seem to have a lot of info of others than my line. Samuel b1762 is my driving force

                  > sure could be.........mine was in Coffee Co when I first find them.........

                • pj

                    > What information do you have those from NC to TN?
                    >
                    > To: mailto:howard-family%40yahoogroups.com
                    > From: pj@...
                    > Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:53:47 -0600
                    > Subject: Re: [howard-family] Active ?
                    >

                    > have you found the info you were looking for, I seem to have a lot of info of others than my line. Samuel b1762 is my driving force

                    > sure could be.........mine was in Coffee Co when I first find them.........

                    believed to be clean.

                  • Cindy
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 25, 2013
                      I checked  "Howards of Southeastern Ky" by Dunham, nothing there, i just read "The Howard Geneology" by Heman Howard
                      I do not remeber any there either. Did they move out west?

                      I got a question..........does anyone out there have a HOWARD/CRAWFORD connection?............I sure would like to hear from you...........pj
                      Area would be around Coffee Co, Tn. around 1830 to 1850 time frame

                      > What information do you have those from NC to TN?
                      >
                      > To: mailto:howard-family%40yahoogroups.com
                      > From: pj@...
                      > Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:53:47 -0600
                      > Subject: Re: [howard-family] Active ?
                      >

                      > have you found the info you were looking for, I seem to have a lot of info of others than my line. Samuel b1762 is my driving force

                      > sure could be.........mine was in Coffee Co when I first find them.........

                      believed to be clean.

                    • Cindy
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 10, 2013
                        I have the Book "Howard and connecting Families " by Eliz.T. Howard Barcroft
                        "Decendants of John Howard of Bridgewater Massacusetts" (Baltimore Line)
                        "Howard in Southeastern KY" by Dunham
                        Howard Records of Harlan Co.Rev. War & Cherokee Indians" by Annie Walker Burns
                        1860 Harlan Co Cencus
                        Lots of misc. info
                        Vernis Howard charts of several lines he concentrated on the VA, NC, KY Howards
                        because for 30 years he was trying to prove Samuel b.1762 father and decendants,
                        I charted several peoples opinions of Samuel line,
                        I work on
                        Martin b1896
                        John F. b1865
                        Silas Jessee Crittenden b1845
                        Adron Jr b1812
                        Adron Sr b1783
                        *Samuel b1762
                        *Cornelius b1706
                        *Joshua b1665
                        *I am not convinced until I prove Samuel and his brother and their history
                        What line are you?
                        Happy Howard hunting!
                        Cindy Howard

                        > What information do you have those from NC to TN?
                        >
                        > To: mailto:howard-family%40yahoogroups.com
                        > From: pj@...
                        > Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:53:47 -0600
                        > Subject: Re: [howard-family] Active ?
                        >

                        > have you found the info you were looking for, I seem to have a lot of info of others than my line. Samuel b1762 is my driving force

                        > sure could be.........mine was in Coffee Co when I first find them.........

                      • Cindy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 5 8:38 PM
                          I cannot remember replying to you, Howards are complex, do you have anyones name & birthdate to give me an idea what line I need to look at?
                          I have charts for several lines so I can find more on Samuel H b. 1762
                          Let me know & I will check
                          Cindy howard