Unvarnished Truth Column, 01/01/05

  • Dean Becker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005

      Hawk: http://www.drugtruth.net

      Pub: Free Press, (Houston, TX)
      Date: January 1, 2005
      Author: Dean Becker
      Link:  This paper not available online

      One Big Party

      So how was your New Years?  Did you scarf down half a turkey and pass out on Christmas day?  “L-Tryptophan”, what a nice, natural downer it is.  Did you attend any big parties; did you align yourself with your buds?

      The Republicans are having a party; an eternal party and we’re all invited.  I’ve decided that despite my lack of “rightful” leanings and my proclivity to forgo anything that smacks of partisanship I’m going to become a Republican, with a capital R.  To me it seems the Democrats say they get it, and then act like Republicans if elected.  The Libs, Greens and others get it and though I am for 3rd, 4th and even a 20th political party having success in the US, I think it will be easier to simply awaken, embolden and redirect the party of Lincoln.

      If Daniel faced down the lions in the Bible and lived to fight another day, surely this can be done.  These Republican leaders expect blind obedience and ignorant acceptance whilst they fleece the nation and the world in the name of “liberty”.  I will be the conscience they could never afford.

      I begin with a reach to my Republican brothers in government administration with this letter:

      I seek a new agenda for our nation:

      I want the US to stop funding Osama bin Laden’s terrorists.  We must reduce crime in the US by 50% next year.  Let us eliminate the reason for which most violent street gangs exist. We must be brave and immediately destroy the drug cartels.  I seek the end of accidental drug overdose deaths.  May we please redirect hundreds of billions of our precious tax dollars away from persecuting non-violent Americans to more worthwhile endeavors, like arresting the criminals and terrorists that mean us harm.

      Milton Friedman, the Nobel Laureate, in a letter to William Bennett, (the one time drug czar), perhaps said it best:  “In Oliver Cromwell's eloquent words, "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken" about the course you and President Bush urge us to adopt to fight drugs. The path you propose of more police, of more jails, use of the military in foreign countries, harsh penalties for drug users, and a whole panoply of repressive measures can only make a bad situation worse. The drug war cannot be won by those tactics without undermining the human liberty and individual freedom that you and I cherish.”

      December 17th, 2004 marked 90 years of drug war; 90 years since the signing of the Harrison Narcotics Act.  A trillion US tax dollars have been poured into the whirlpool of drug prohibition.  What else have we wrought?  Tens of millions of our fellow citizens arrested, they and their families rejected, thwarted from progress by government mandate, their future progress made dependent on perfection.  1.6 million Americans are arrested each year for controlled substances, for non-violent offenses yet drugs are cheaper, purer and more available than ever before.  A majority now sees this drug war for what it truly is:  "The largest fraud ever perpetrated on the people of earth."

      Some government hero’s face may someday be sculpted on Mt. Rushmore, recognized as the one who exposed the fraud of drug prohibition.  There is a new “silent majority” growing each day, which sees drug prohibition as a real threat to our nation.  For an example of how “To fool some of the people all of the time…”, one need look no further than the government officials who so willingly serve the needs of drug traffickers.

      Former CIA Director William Colby “died in a canoeing accident” a few months after he stated: "The Latin American drug cartels have stretched their tentacles much deeper into our lives than most people believe. It's possible they are calling the shots at all levels of government."

      Thus, having had my say and given Republican officials a wonderful agenda that a vast majority of Americans would also endorse, I will feel better as I set about exposing, all those in power, who continue to play their part in supporting “insanity, criminality and death.” – (Harry J. Anslinger, our first drug czar).

      I urge you to take the ideas of this column, prepare a one paragraph letter, read it to your congressional and senate staffers when you call: TOLL FREE: 1-800-839-5276.  Find fax #, mailing or email addresses on the net: www.senate.gov or www.house.gov.

      Please listen to Cultural Baggage and 4:20 Drug War News on KPFT Radio, 90.1 FM, Houston, www.kpft.org.  Visit www.DrugTruth.Net    (20 Broadcast Affiliates in the US and Canada.)

      * * *

      Dean Becker
      281-752-9198
      KPFT, Pacifica Radio
      419  Lovett Blvd.
      Houston, Tx. 77006

      “Best FM Talk Show" – Houston Press, 2004 (Cultural Baggage)
      “Best Radio Commentary" – Houston Press, 2003 (4:20 Drug War NEWS)