Re: Boycott...

  • D. F.
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2011
      Instead of boycotting a small business owner.would it not prove more effective to get the Houston Mayor's attention * as well as the folks in Austin* with a massive signature drive..?  WE know the financial windfall that would be realized from legalizing marijuana, and we need to share that message with other political action groups in the Houston area....show them the money..!!!   IF we can get support from across the voting spectrum, republican, democrat, independent, Americans for Fair Taxation, Justice for all, League of Women Voters and collect signatures in the 6 digit area, we can back up our claims that more then 50% of the population DOES favor legalizing AND taxing Marijuana.  If we don't talk with people and ask for their help, we will never know IF they'd help or not...

      Dana

      *don't just legalize marijuana, capitalize on it...!!!
    • steve anderson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2011
        I don't think they care. Also in decrim states and even in California
        companies still drug test. Plus we can have an immediate effect
        shaming a company into behaving morally and maybe influence others.
        Right now there is almost no pushback in testing. Many middle class
        people are afraid to stand up for mj rights because they do not want
        to be single out for drug tests at work. We need to eliminate this
        danger.

        Top down approaches on the national and state levels have really mot
        been all that successful. Theyare only bearing fruit in a few states
        after 40 years of work. Bottom up approaches working at city , county
        and corporate levels take less and offer more. Remember the public
        employees unions give big bucks to state government and deliver big
        votes. They do not want any form of decrim cuz it means less prisons,
        cops, and courts. And they want to spend taxpayer money, not save it.
        But if we can show companies that pod phobic hurts the bottom line and
        pot friendly makes sales, then we can have an effect and maybe scare
        up donations.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2011
          I don't think they care. Also in decrim states and even in California
          companies still drug test. Plus we can have an immediate effect
          shaming a company into behaving morally and maybe influence others.
          Right now there is almost no pushback in testing. Many middle class
          people are afraid to stand up for mj rights because they do not want
          to be single out for drug tests at work. We need to eliminate this
          danger.

          Top down approaches on the national and state levels have really mot
          been all that successful. Theyare only bearing fruit in a few states
          after 40 years of work. Bottom up approaches working at city , county
          and corporate levels take less and offer more. Remember the public
          employees unions give big bucks to state government and deliver big
          votes. They do not want any form of decrim cuz it means less prisons,
          cops, and courts. And they want to spend taxpayer money, not save it.
          But if we can show companies that pod phobic hurts the bottom line and
          pot friendly makes sales, then we can have an effect and maybe scare
          up donations.

          On Saturday, April 30, 2011, D. F. <unorthodox_druid@...> wrote:

          > Instead of boycotting a small business owner.would it not prove more effective to get the Houston Mayor's attention * as well as the folks in Austin* with a massive signature drive..?  WE know the financial windfall that would be realized from legalizing marijuana, and we need to share that message with other political action groups in the Houston area....show them the money..!!!   IF we can get support from across the voting spectrum, republican, democrat, independent, Americans for Fair Taxation, Justice for all, League of Women Voters and collect signatures in the 6 digit area, we can back up our claims that more then 50% of the population DOES favor legalizing AND taxing Marijuana.  If we don't talk with people and ask for their help, we will never know IF they'd help or
          > not...
          >
          > Dana
          > *don't just legalize marijuana, capitalize on it...!!!

        • Jessica Davis
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2011
            The fear in TX is still very massive when it comes to that.  Drug testing and our jobs that put food on our tables.  Especially in the job market now.  I would be more inclined to want to fight that battle if we already had some battles victorious under our belts.  We have only marinol at thys point.  Maybe a ticket in Travis co but we don't have the legs to stand on yet like Cali to take on companies drug testing employees.  If they have made the positive advances in the fight and are still dealing with drug testing and employment, that speaks volumes.  There is not alot of chance of eliminating that danger, so to speak, when we don't even have the defense of medical marijuana.  We are not there yet, in my opinion.  Thys is not a battle that we are armed enough to take on yet.  And I see both sides of the issue, not agreeing with both sides at all but I actually have to send people to take drug tests at my job.  AND I NEED MY JOB.  It is not my choice to send anyone but it is my position to send ALL new hires for a test prior to final hiring.  Do I agree with it?  No.  Can I tell them they get two days in case they need to study for their test.   I do what I can.

            We have very limited resources of monetary and voluntary assets in this fight, especially here in TX.  I just think that they could be used somewhere else that would have better chances of progression sooner.

            Speaking of limited voluntary resources, I would lyke to thank all of the door volunteers that signed up AND SHOWED UP to work their shifts at the 420 fest.  I would also lyke to thank the people that helped fill in for those that did not.  This takes committment people.  Either you are ready to give that or you are not, know your boundaries and limitations and act accordingly please.  There are many ways to act, just know whats right for you to truly be beneficial.  The ones that have made the committment have done enough already, they don't need to fill in where others don't.  The fight is hard enough on its own.

            -Jessica

            I don't think they care. Also in decrim states and even in California
            companies still drug test. Plus we can have an immediate effect
            shaming a company into behaving morally and maybe influence others.
            Right now there is almost no pushback in testing. Many middle class
            people are afraid to stand up for mj rights because they do not want
            to be single out for drug tests at work. We need to eliminate this
            danger.

            Top down approaches on the national and state levels have really mot
            been all that successful. Theyare only bearing fruit in a few states
            after 40 years of work. Bottom up approaches working at city , county
            and corporate levels take less and offer more.  Remember the public
            employees unions give big bucks to state government and deliver big
            votes.  They do not want any form of decrim cuz it means less prisons,
            cops, and courts.  And they want to spend taxpayer money, not save it.
            But if we can show companies that pod phobic hurts the bottom line and
            pot friendly makes sales, then we can have an effect and maybe scare
            up donations.

            On Saturday, April 30, 2011, D. F. <unorthodox_druid@...> wrote:

            >       Instead of boycotting a small business owner.would it not prove more effective to get the Houston Mayor's attention * as well as the folks in Austin* with a massive signature drive..?  WE know the financial windfall that would be realized from legalizing marijuana, and we need to share that message with other political action groups in the Houston area....show them the money..!!!   IF we can get support from across the voting spectrum, republican, democrat, independent, Americans for Fair Taxation, Justice for all, League of Women Voters and collect signatures in the 6 digit area, we can back up our claims that more then 50% of the population DOES favor legalizing AND taxing Marijuana.  If we don't talk with people and ask for their help, we will never know IF they'd help or
            >  not...
            >
            > Dana
            > *don't just legalize marijuana, capitalize on it...!!!

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                houstonnorml-digest@yahoogroups.com
                houstonnorml-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • steve anderson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2011
              Have any other groups tried the boycott approach? Also if done we
              should pic a target that has a lot of pro 420 customers. Somebody who
              has a competitor who does not test and somebody who is a retailer and
              has few safety regulations. Also somebody small enough to beat but
              larger than a mom and pop. Pickin on a real small company would be
              bad.

              Companies are much more responsive to pressure than government. A 2
              percent loss in sales can mean CEO or vp lose jobs. Imagine your a
              company who sells primarly to 18-26 year old men. All your customers
              smoke pot. Do you want to risk this? Also drug testing can be
              biased against minorities. We could play up that angle. One small
              victory would work wonders.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2011
                btw i would sign a statewide petition it just sounds as if they are useless i would not be interested in getting them signed....why spread our voices so thin? Other special interests do not try and lobby top down and they get results.  The prison industrial complex and teh cop unions do not send petitions around.  They lobby companies and they lobby the legislature directly.

                How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time.

                I would be interested in local petitions that where also a promise to vote against the current state rep/ regardless of his party  unless he votes pro pot.  In some districts a very small number of votes determine the loser or winner, a few thousand.  Enough promised votes like this could have influence, we would have to target the right districts for max effect. Does anybody have the breakdown for the state districts here in houston? How many votes last two elections? winning % etc?

              • Cheryl Ann Nolin
                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2011
                  Thank you Jessica!

                  Cheryl Ann Nolin

                  "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." --Maya Angelou

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2011
                    Hi steve.... your opening comment speaks volumes... "i don't THINK they care".....seriously, without a dialogue we will never know.  I have NO doubts they are as concerned as anyone with the mounting debt crisis, and at how much resources are squandered on the war on drugs.  It's time we took the message directly to the local level and TALK with the movers and shakers of the political system.  We've worked hard on educating ourselves to the benefits of marijuana, medicinally, economically and societal. Now we need to work even harder to educate the "silent majority", so their voices can be joined with ours.

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2011
                      I agree we have a silent majority or at the least a 50/50 split. In
                      any case a large enough number to make some changes. I am also sure
                      that almost everyone in government from Obama on down to the local
                      dogcatcher knows that from 40 to 50 percent of the population is pro
                      legalised pot. And I am also sure that unless those people start
                      organizing in meaningful ways, most politicians will not care. Why
                      should they? Out of the goodness of their hearts?

                      I was looking online and the chatman o the committee that killed the
                      last pot bill won his district(72 or74 I forget an I am on my phone
                      not pc) by less than 3000 votes. Sure it's a rural district, but we
                      can't find a 1000 or so voters to promise to vote against him unless
                      he brings it up next session? I am sure there are others in close
                      races we could target to lobby.